Easier ...Less Jet Lag flying from Calgary, AB to Sydney, AUS or the other direction?

2Canucks

Hopefully someone can share their flying experience to/from Sydney, AUS.

I'm flying from Alberta, Canada...wondering which flight direction...going or returning home will be easier...less jet lag.

Thank You in advance for any information you can share with me. :)

Pat

Everybody is different. There is no one hard and fast rule.

This will cause the usual debate...how do you ease jet lag. Our plan is to stay up as late as possible to our common bedtime in the new time zone. We try to walk and stay active as late as light and conditions allow.

As your flight to Australia will arrive about 7am, we get as much sleep as possible on the plane, then follow the activity plan described.

Curious what this has to do with Princess?

Edited by CruiserBruce

We just flew from the East coast of the US to Japan for a cruise. I had a lot more trouble with jet lag on the way home.

On the way there, didn't sleep on the plane. Got to the hotel and crashed till it was time to get up the next morning to go to the ship...so slept something like 14 hours. On the way home, I had one nap on the plane of maybe 15 minutes. But when I got home and went to bed, I woke up about 4 hours later It took about a week to straighten out my body and get me to quit my 2am wake ups.

There was a recent news article that says there is "documented" reasons why flying east is harder on the body. Do a goggle search. I fly back and forth to Hawaii a lot. I always find it much harder to return to the Continental States. It will take me days to get back to normal.

No matter what, it is going to be a really, really, really long flight either way. If you are flying to Australia, plan on spending a few days getting your rest so you can enjoy your cruise.

Sometimes you just have to fly. No other way to get there. Don't let nay-sayers distract you from your trip. If there was a cruise ship that would take me to Hawaii (one way from where I live), I would definitely take that over a flight. Can't swim that far. Heck, don't swim at all. No train or bus to Hawaii either.

I have a 28 night Round Australia Princess cruise booked. I have also tried to find a cruise to get me to Sydney or back to the States. I'm thinking of flying to Honolulu and spending a couple of days there before flying to or from Sydney. I was trying to figure out if I should do this Before my cruise or on my Return trip home. I'm a solo cruiser now (widow) so looking for options that I'm comfortable with. Australia is a country I really want to visit...wish it wasn't so far from Canada! Thank You for your comments. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by 2Canucks

We have to fly long haul to get to pretty much anywhere in the world except NZ and SE Asia and we have always found that travelling East to West is much better than the reverse, so in your case 2Canucks it will be better flying to Au than going home. If you can manage to break up your return trip with at least one stop off for a few days you probably will find it easier on the body.

Some relatives of ours stopped off in Hawaii on the way to and from Australia last year to join their cruise and found that it did help, though by the time they got on board as they had been travelling in Australia, they were very glad for a couple of sea days early on.

Edited by Aussieflyer

I have a 28 night Round Australia Princess cruise booked. I have also tried to find a cruise to get me to Sydney or back to the States. I'm thinking of flying to Honolulu and spending a couple of days there before flying to or from Sydney. I was trying to figure out if I should do this Before my cruise or on my Return trip home. I'm a solo cruiser now (widow) so looking for options that I'm comfortable with. Australia is a country I really want to visit...wish it wasn't so far from Canada! Thank You for your comments. :)

I vote for a stop in Hawaii on the way back. But I am a little biased. Fly all the way over. The excitement and anticipation will ease some of the travel exhaustion. Of course....you are not flying in on the same day! So you will have time to relax before the cruise.

You are going a long way. You might as well enjoy your cruise and a stop in Hawaii since you may not get back to this speck in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Have a wonderful cruise. Are you doing research or already have this planned?

Flying westward to Australia is a much shorter flight than going via Europe. A friend of ours who is a travel operator always says that east-bound flights cause more problem with jetleg than west-bound. Our last flight was from New York via LA to Brisbane. We were OK - no jetlag.

I have a couple more suggestions -

1. Buy a pair of travel compression socks. These go all the way to the knee and are so tight you have to buy the correct size for the measurement of your calf. I have to have someone help me drag mine on. :)They cost in excess of $60, but it is money very well spent. Because they keep your blood circulating well, you really do end up feeling less tired after any flight.

2. While on the flight, drink plenty of water. It might mean you go to the bathroom more often, but that is good.:)

Hi

I live in Canada now but lived in Oz for 11 years. We have travelled both ways many times. We always found the jet lag better flying over than back. I would break your trip up in Hawaii on the way back. We have always found good deals with Air New Zealand but not sure they do the Hawaii route. We usually stop in Auckland.

Have fun!!!!

Poppy:)

We did Australia and NZ last Sept. As mentioned above, I think the best advice is to sleep as much as possible enroute and stay up as late as you can in Sydney. We figured our total travel time was approx. 26hrs ( flew from Memphis, TN thru Dallas then onto LAX and switched to NZ Air to Auckland. Then another plane to Sydney.) We had plenty to read and decided to just relax as much as possible and enjoy the trip. We each took half a sleeper after leaving LA and that helped too! The first three days in Sydney we did wake up around 5 but just went to bed early to compensate. Once we got home, it was only two days early awakening and then back to normal. I was surprised, we seemed to adjust very quickly both ways. Bottom line, sleep on the plane!!!

Have a wonderful trip!!!

Another "two cents": we briefly considered stopping over in Hawaii on way to Australia but found Air New Zealand did not fly there. Just decided to gut it out and do the entire trip at once. ANZ does have good offers if you plan way ahead. We flew Premium Economy (never flew anything other than coach) but sprung for a bit extra $$$ with the long flight. Definitely helped!

I think that a good idea of spending a couple of days in Honolulu before going on to Sydney. Or on the return.

Tony