Alcohol Purchases

tinkertwo

How does this work? If I purchase something in port they take it and keep it for me till the cruise is complete. If I purchase from the ship it works the same I believe.

My question is, if I am flying I need to pack the bottles in my suitcase. How can that be done if I am giving them my luggage the night before and I will not see it till I get to my home airport. What do people do? If I have to keep my luggage and transfer it myself its not worth the bother.

Any suggestions?

Either way if you buy it on the ship you do not ret it until the last night. If you purchase in port they take it when you board and give it back the last night. They don't want you drinking it on board. Alcohol purchases are meant for you taking it home.

I understand why they do it, that doesn't concern me in the least.

As for when they return it, the only cruise line I have sailed to date is Disney Cruise Line. When they started their new policy you had to turn it in and you went to pick it up on the morning of departure, which meant you could not pack it. They did not return it to you, you had to physically show up to a table they have set up and get it yourself on the morning that you disembarked.

Am I understanding with RCCL that they actually leave it in your room the night before, you don't have to go get it yourself? We would be able to then pack it before the luggage gets picked up? So much easier!

Edited by tinkertwo

Am I understanding with RCCL that they actually leave it in your room the night before, you don't have to go get it yourself? We would be able to then pack it before the luggage gets picked up? So much easier!

It will be delivered to your room the last night in time for you to pack it in your luggage before leaving it in the hallway.

I understand why they do it, that doesn't concern me in the least.

As for when they return it, the only cruise line I have sailed to date is Disney Cruise Line. When they started their new policy you had to turn it in and you went to pick it up on the morning of departure, which meant you could not pack it. They did not return it to you, you had to physically show up to a table they have set up and get it yourself on the morning that you disembarked.

You can always just buy it the last day, later in the day, and they let you take it with you. That way you can pack it when you want.

Thank you all. We don't drink much however my sister, who watches our house and sits with our dog, likes us to bring her back what we can. The last few cruises we have not done it as we could not pack it for the plane.

This bit of information will make her very happy. :)

It's never occurred to me to go through the hoops of buying liquor on board. Is the savings really that substantial?

We seldom buy it on board, mostly off the ship. We can get a bottle of tequila at the port of Cozumel for about $7. This same bottle costs $60 at our liquor store. We purchase 2 and that saves us $100. To me, that's a good deal.

I will add that we purchase the tequila at the grocery store at the port and not in the stores on the strip. There you will pay lots more.

We seldom buy it on board, mostly off the ship. We can get a bottle of tequila at the port of Cozumel for about $7. This same bottle costs $60 at our liquor store. We purchase 2 and that saves us $100. To me, that's a good deal.

I will add that we purchase the tequila at the grocery store at the port and not in the stores on the strip. There you will pay lots more.

Good info! I'll keep an eye out on my next cruise for sure. That's substantial enough. I was wondering if it was just a small $5 - $10 savings.

This thread made me chuckle.

Okay..

Side note:

On our Freedom sailing a couple cruises back one of the cruisers at our Meet and Mingle came up to me and asked since we were only doing the 7 day cruise, if he gave me the money, could I go to duty free and buy his booze for him.

And

When it is delivered on my last night call him so he has his drinks for the next leg of the trip.

DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON ( From old TV show)

All that I could think of is being arrested and LOCKED UP ABROAD (current tv show) for doing something illegal.

I said no.

And probably would never do.

Sea Ya

On some occasions (especially during spring break season), they will change the return process and will only let you pick it up the last morning. That is not the standard procedure, though, unless it is a recent change.

Saw that on Monarch quite often.

On some occasions (especially during spring break season), they will change the return process and will only let you pick it up the last morning. That is not the standard procedure, though, unless it is a recent change.

Saw that on Monarch quite often.

Happens to us quite regularly as we sail at March break.

How does this work? If I purchase something in port they take it and keep it for me till the cruise is complete. If I purchase from the ship it works the same I believe.

My question is, if I am flying I need to pack the bottles in my suitcase. How can that be done if I am giving them my luggage the night before and I will not see it till I get to my home airport. What do people do? If I have to keep my luggage and transfer it myself its not worth the bother.

Any suggestions?

I assume you are intending on using luggage valet from your comments. If you were not using luggage valet and you didn't get your purchase until the morning you could have claimed your case and then packed in the case before leaving for the airport.

I assume you are intending on using luggage valet from your comments. If you were not using luggage valet and you didn't get your purchase until the morning you could have claimed your case and then packed in the case before leaving for the airport.

Yes, luggage valet is exactly what we will be using. Judging from some of the comments maybe we won't get our purchases the evening before. This is taking a turn for the worse, I'm so confused. :confused:

I wonder if they would know at customer service which way it will be.

Yes, luggage valet is exactly what we will be using. Judging from some of the comments maybe we won't get our purchases the evening before. This is taking a turn for the worse, I'm so confused. :confused:

I wonder if they would know at customer service which way it will be.

Yes, Guest Services should be able to tell you when you can retrieve your alcohol.

For the first time ever, we'll be able to use luggage valet as we're flying with AA into a U.S. Airport. How does this work? I saw that RC charges $10 for the service. Gather it's per bag. Do they take your bag from the night before and you don't see it again till you land at your destination? Curious.:confused:

For the first time ever, we'll be able to use luggage valet as we're flying with AA into a U.S. Airport. How does this work? I saw that RC charges $10 for the service. Gather it's per bag. Do they take your bag from the night before and you don't see it again till you land at your destination? Curious.:confused:

Its $25 p.p.. Here is what the web site says

Q: What is the cost for the Luggage Valet program?

A: The fee for the Onboard Airline Check-in and Luggage Valet Program is $25.00pp. This service fee is for the issuance of your airline boarding pass and luggage handling.

Airline Extra Baggage Fees for your second or first bag will be charged in addition to this service fee when applicable per your airline’s specific rules and policy. Royal Caribbean is not an airline representative and does not determine the airline baggage fees.

The charge is $20 per person, plus any bag charges from your airline. Correct on the logistics.