When Vantage does not deliver - what next?

Cruise123@

What should happen when things don’t go right on a cruise? We recently booked a River Cruise with Vantage on their latest and newest vessel the River Voyager launched on April 26, 2016, its first themed ship highlighting jazz music. Why then would this ship, well past shakedown fail with the bow thruster going out of service into the 6th of a 13 day cruise on July 13, 2016? Was it human error or some other cause? And how should Vantage have performed in light of this development? As things stand today no reasonable compensation has been offered. Vantages immediate reaction was to make a 15 day river cruise into a bus excursion something to horrendous to even considers and yet they went ahead notwithstanding the complaints and criticism of most passengers. To those who wanted to leave then and there, nothing reasonable was offered in the way of a refund, not then and not now. How safe is this vessel for any future river cruise? Can it happen again? Up to this time passengers have been too stunned to respond; but I feel that will change in the near future as more of the 170 plus on that ill-fated adventure begin to speak out and demand compensation. There are many precedents as to what others lines have done in similar circumstances, why does Vantage feel that they are different?

My husband and I were on the July 7 Vantage cruise from Bonn to Budapest and also are puzzled as to what caused the bow thruster engine to break down on a brand-new ship, but we are satisfied with how Vantage handled the unfortunate situation. Since the ship could not move forward, there was no alternative but to travel by bus. Initially, like the above poster, we thought Vantage was doing nothing to compensate passengers for the disruption. The communication from higher-ups was poor, to say the least, but at the end of the trip every passenger was given $500 credit toward a future cruise. About three weeks after we got home we received a letter from Vantage that offered us a free cruise on the Seine in November--which we are taking. Two other couples that we befriended on the cruise also received the offer, so I am not sure why the above poster did not receive compensation. The July 7 cruise was our first river cruise, and in spite of the ship break-down we had a fabulous time. There was nothing "horrendous" about it.

strange that not everyone would receive the same compensation.

Did your free cruise include airfare too? That for would be ok but we are retired and dont have limited vacation time. For some that would not be a good option.

Each time we book I cross my fingers until we get home that all goes well....water levels, bridges, viruses.........sometimes it is hard to make lemonade! But the joy of discovery that traveling allows keeps us looking for new adventures and cruises.

Edited by deec

I agree that there are worse things in the world that can happen to you besides having to tour Europe by bus. Horrendous? Probably not. Not what you expected/anticipated? OK, I'll go with that, but what else could Vantage have done?

Roz

Please understand that we paid $15,000.00 for this cruise, which was to be a special event just after my wife had a cancerous tumor removed from her brain. The offer of a $500.00 credit on a future cruise or a cruise during the Thanksgiving holiday does not seem to be reasonable compensation. Those that left immediately upon receiving the news were offered $250.00 if they agreed to sign a waver of immunity. What could Vantage have done? We requested to speak with a representative, we were told we would have this opportunity, none showed up. Not one letter that we have written has been replied too. These are some of the things that Vantage could have done. At the time we could have been told of the future plans for the trip so we could have made a reasonable choice how to proceed. Information from Vantage has not been reliable or forthcoming. This is not the first time an event of this nature has occurred, others have gotten a full refund or the choice of another cruise to compensate. Surely the insurance that Vanguard carries would cover this. The total lack of communication, a reasonable offer, and even a letter of explanation would have been helpful. As it stands we have yet to hear from Vantage.

...but what else could Vantage have done?
I'm having a hard time relating to this as a serious question.

Vantage could and should have offered several choices:

A) Continue by bus but with a refund of the considerable difference in price between a river cruise and a bus tour. OR

B) Allowed customers to get much or all of their money refunded if they declined the bus tour. In 2011 I went with Vantage for the Grand Norwegian Coastal Voyage. The ship hit a rock the day before, supposedly a few days in drydock, they managed to throw together a rather nice bus trip but then when it became apparent the ship damages were not fixable they sent us home with a COMPLETE refund - everything I had paid to them, what I had paid for personally purchased airfare, air change fees and even parking costs at the airport! I had a week in very expensive Norway - meals, lodging, tours - for no costs other than tips. Vantage got well over half the very satisfied group paying to go back the following year.

I'm sure that others can come up with other satisfactory solutions.

Cruise123@, I wish your wife continued good health. That is a lot to deal with.

Thom, thank you for being so dismissive of my comment. Yes, I'm a serious poster on these forums. When any cruise line has to make a split second decision as to how to deal with a situation like this, I don't think they can offer a wide range of options. What does Vantage's cruise contract say?

Roz

...When any cruise line has to make a split second's decision as to how to deal with a situation like this, I don't think they can offer a wide range of options. What does Vantage's cruise contract say?
Roz

My comment was inappropriate. I apologize:o.

I can guarantee that every cruise line will encounter situations relatively often that will prevent them from sailing further. I can't tell you which boat or ship, nor precisely when or why (mechanical, too much water, too little water, etc), but it is going to happen. IMO cruise lines should devote more time planning ahead for something as predictable as inability to sail, rather than all the time and money spent on lawyers to make sure that their contract protects them from ever being responsible for anything.

Thom

If I felt that the compensation was inadequate or the substitution was not acceptable I would continue to call and write to Vantage. We've had friends who were on a Rhine cruise that could have turned into a "bus tour" but instead they received a full refund and returned when the river was at a better level.

When we were on our India trip there was a problem with illness and sanitation aboard our rivership. Many of us started emailing Vantage while still on the ship and steps were taken to remedy the situation (although not completely and not to our satisfaction) We remained in contact with them after returning home and eventually some compensation was offered.

Keep writing/calling but keep it polite and profession.

In this situation, the cruise line has little choice but to quickly throw together a bus tour.

But that is only the beginning of what they could and, in my opinion, should do. Certainly, a considerable per diem refund is in order. Refund, not future cruise credit. And, it should be based on a percentage of what the pax paid. Some one paying $15K should get twice the refund of one paying $7.5K.

Canceling the remainder of the trip and getting major, maybe even full, refund should be an option too.

Assuming the situation was as described, the cruise line let these pax down big time.

In this situation, the cruise line has little choice but to quickly throw together a bus tour. But that is only the beginning of what they could and, in my opinion, should do. Certainly, a considerable per diem refund is in order. Refund, not future cruise credit. And, it should be based on a percentage of what the pax paid. Some one paying $15K should get twice the refund of one paying $7.5K. Canceling the remainder of the trip and getting major, maybe even full, refund should be an option too. Assuming the situation was as described, the cruise line let these pax down big time.

Something like this. Most of the reports of these forced bus trips indicate that all passengers are on the same bus and get the same category of rooms in hotels. Passengers who paid for upgraded cabins on the ship get the really short end of the stick, and should receive greater compensation.

Agree that those passenger paying more should receive upgraded accommodations and/or other perks. I can see where it could a while to sort everything out at the corporate level, and why the cruise line may prefer to work one on one with passengers rather than making blanket open statements about what they'll provide/refund.

OP, I would continue to purse this. Hope it all works out for you. After what your wife has gone through, I can understand your disappoint. I'm sure you had high hopes for this trip.

Roz

really sorry you had this experience. $15000 is a lot albeit the going rate often $1000/day. no problem if service is delivered and you get what you paid for.

but in your case you had 6 days of a 15 day cruise aborted because of the ship broke down. no contingency plans for such an event apart from a bus trip?

far from acceptable. you did not get what you paid for. some compo gestures made but not enough to make up for the loss you experienced.

plus you say your concerns have not been addressed by the operator? financial loss is 1 thing but customer service/relations is another. each country has different consumer laws and each operator has different terms/conditions, so explore all those options.

its such a pleasure when operators display excellent customer service, a delight. sadly not all do. good luck with it.

I totally agree that compensation should be based on what you pay for a cruise. We paid nowhere close to $15,000 for this cruise and were, therefore, reasonably happy with what Vantage offered as compensation. After the ship broke down, we ended up staying in a lovely Hilton hotel in Vienna for four nights. There was no attempt to give “suite” passengers upgraded rooms. Friends on the ship who were staying in a suite on the ship had a small room on the second floor of the hotel and we had a ninth floor room with a lovely view of Vienna. Go figure! I hope that Cruise123@ will persist in his efforts to get a more suitable compensation. Vantage does not seem to be very good at making quick decisions. Hope you get to experience a future cruise that is indeed a “trip of a lifetime.”

Besides a bus trip or sending people home, what other contingency plan should there be?

Roz

For me, the offer for a full refund would be the only acceptable option. I would have stayed in Europe and done a DIY trip by train, booking my own hotels, rather than suffer a bus tour, which for me, would be totally miserable.

For me, the offer for a full refund would be the only acceptable option. I would have stayed in Europe and done a DIY trip by train, booking my own hotels, rather than suffer a bus tour, which for me, would be totally miserable.

A full refund, even though 1/2 the trip was completed? I can agree that the options should be a bus trip, or a refund of some of the payment, but not a full refund.

Or a combination of the two would also work. But, to keep it simple, two choices should be offered.

A full refund, even though 1/2 the trip was completed? I can agree that the options should be a bus trip, or a refund of some of the payment, but not a full refund.

Or a combination of the two would also work. But, to keep it simple, two choices should be offered.

I agree. If it was known in advance then I would want the option of not taking the trip at all and getting a refund. For a partial cancellation, I would expect a pro-rated refund and the option to get off.

A full refund, even though 1/2 the trip was completed? I can agree that the options should be a bus trip, or a refund of some of the payment, but not a full refund...
I MIGHT agree with you if this was a weather issue beyond the control of the company, but this was a mechanical issue and in theory the responsibility of the company or their suppliers. I have many times missed ports because of weather and neither received nor expected compensation, but I have accepted compensation for mechanical issues. My counter offer (this is negotiation isn't it:rolleyes:): FULL refund AND additional compensation for the pain and suffering for the air flight to and from Europe since due to failure of their equipment they could not deliver the promised product.

I MIGHT agree with you if this was a weather issue beyond the control of the company, but this was a mechanical issue and in theory the responsibility of the company or their suppliers. I have many times missed ports because of weather and neither received nor expected compensation, but I have accepted compensation for mechanical issues. My counter offer (this is negotiation isn't it:rolleyes:): FULL refund AND additional compensation for the pain and suffering for the air flight to and from Europe since due to failure of their equipment they could not deliver the promised product.

OK, in the spirit of negotiations ;), I'll point out that 1/2 the product was delivered. Therefore, if you opt to return home at this point, (in my best People's Court demonstration), how about a refund of 1/2 the cruise cost, plus coverage of any change fees on the return airflight.

OR, you can opt to continue with the trip (albeit via bus), with lesser accommodations, plus a future cruise credit of $500 ($100 per day for the 5 missed days onboard the ship).

I'm going to agree with the girls on this one Thom. It's true this was a mechanical issue but it was totally unexpected and probably not anybody's fault. I think passengers should have been given option of staying for trip remainder, with hotel rooms being assigned based on cruise accommodations because that is NOT an unreasonable expectation, or leave the cruise with a refund for days lost and either go home or continue on your own. I think a FULL refund is unreasonable because they did get to travel for half of their cruise and as for additional compensation for the "pain and suffering for the air flight to and from Europe"...they get the round trip flight they paid for regardless of which option they choose.... the pain and suffering of flying to and from Europe is the price you pay for going and is to be expected! :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

OK, in the spirit of negotiations ;), I'll point out that 1/2 the product was delivered. Therefore, if you opt to return home at this point, (in my best People's Court demonstration), how about a refund of 1/2 the cruise cost, plus coverage of any change fees on the return airflight.

OR, you can opt to continue with the trip (albeit via bus), with lesser accommodations, plus a future cruise credit of $500 ($100 per day for the 5 missed days onboard the ship).

I think your proposed compenation is much too low. They were on day 6 of a 15 day cruise, so depending the time of day the bow thruster failure occurred (I suspect during night 5) they had only gotten 4 full days (day 1 is board and have dinner, not really a cruise day) of cruising, much less than half the scheduled trip. When I had seven days in Norway all expenses covered with Vantage in 2011 and Vantage (and Hurtigruten) were still unable to deliver the promised product, I got back every cent including air and airport parking. Since this was a failure of Vantage's equipment (not Mother Nature), I think that these people should get as good a deal as I (and everyone on that trip) got. I would not expect a full refund if failure to sail was because of weather.

If one elected to continue by bus, OP quoted paying $15000 for 15 days (there was one mention of 13 days but I think that was a typo), or $1000/day - I assume that price is for 2 people. Bus tours run approximately $500/day for 2 people. If one elected to continue by bus compensation should be roughly $500 per day for 2 people (the difference in what they paid and what they got) in cash, not future cruise credit.

The thruster problem is somebody's fault, either skipped maintenance by Vantage, or more likely a manufacturing defect. I was on one of the many (approximately 30) Celebrity Millennium class cruises that experienced Rolls Royce Mermaid azimuthal thruster failure. Celebrity gave us significant compensation on the spot, and eventually settled with RR for approximately $300 Million. Vantage should provide fair compensation to their passengers, and seek restitution from the manufacturer.

Thom