Anytime dining and tips?

norwane

Hi -

So, we are on the your time/anytime dining plan. It sounds like some folks in our group do not want to do to the dining room every night. So, how does that work for tips?

Please know I am NOT trying to get out of tipping anyone! I just want to understand how the YTD works.

TIA!

Even if you don't eat in the dining room, your gratuities will cover staff in other venues. Best to leave them in place.

If you like the staff in the dining room you can request to sit in their section every night and tip additional.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Auto grats are the easiest to do.

Clarification, you do not have to tip extra if you request ATD waiters.

There have been several cruises where we rarely, if ever eat in the MDR. Our next Princess cruise we are not planning to eat dinner in the MDR at all.

The waiters work in all food venues- buffet, Tea, special events.

Who do you think rolls all those buffet silverware napkins?

Also with your time dining they ask you for your room number when you walk in before they seat you. They record in the computer what wait team you had that night. Then at the end of the week they divide up your tips so that the specific wait teams that you were served by get your tips that night. If you don't eat in the dining room at all and choose the Lido, that night's share of food service tips get distributed more heavily to the ones working the buffet that night.

Also with your time dining they ask you for your room number when you walk in before they seat you. They record in the computer what wait team you had that night. Then at the end of the week they divide up your tips so that the specific wait teams that you were served by get your tips that night. If you don't eat in the dining room at all and choose the Lido, that night's share of food service tips get distributed more heavily to the ones working the buffet that night.

Really?

I don't think so. What is your source for this information?

Really?

I don't think so. What is your source for this information?

Yes, really. Source? Staff on board (and no, not the servers).

Thank you for sharing this information.

I know they ask for your cabin number when you walk up but never knew why that was.

this is not specific to carnival, i remember all of my NCL cruises were the same way too.

Also, during the breakfast/lunch in the dinning room, they also ask for your room number.

Yeah, riiiight. Never been asked for cabin # when dining but never did YTD. Not asked morning or noon. What if you skip a meal? They wouldn't know who to give tips to. Maybe they refund you. What if you go to the buffet twice one night?

definitely not true, the tips are pooled throughout the ship. We talked about this on the "Behind the Scenes Tour" If you want someone specific to get a tip, put cash in their hand