Questions about the yacht club?

jerseyaxn

• 2 weeks later...
On my sailing on Divina there were two lifts which gave priority to the YC. you had to insert your card into a slot and then your choice overrides any other passenger (non YC) button press. Your butler with show you how it works.

the slot for your card

P1020876.jpg

and with a card in place

P1030279.jpg

Pete

Interesting

Does everyone tip their butler and if so how much?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Forums mobile app

It's up to you because tipping is not required anywhere on MSC ships. On a two week cruise I would tip my butler maybe €40 and another €20 to the cabin steward.

Tipping would be in addition to the mandatory daily service charges however.

Edited by Capricruiser

$100????? omg please tell me, this is above and beyond tipping...?

there may be plenty of threads about tipping, but I always enjoy reading them, as I like to know how much is appropriate, and I always feel like I am giving too little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by plucasana

We tipped our Butler, I think we tipped him $75 for the week. We tipped the bartender $100. We gave out a few other smaller tips.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

The Bartender?

At least on the Divina, there are two Yacht Club bars, and multiple bartenders rotating through each bar.

Who was The lucky bartender?

gary

$100????? omg please tell me, this is above and beyond tipping...?

there may be plenty of threads about tipping, but I always enjoy reading them, as I like to know how much is appropriate, and I always feel like I am giving too little.

I agree. I like to give our table waiter and our cabin steward an extra tip at the end of the cruise but, as the costs of the gratuities and the cruise prices have been steadily rising (and DH's pension hasn't!) I find myself reducing the extra amount I give. It wasn't that long ago that the hotel charge was €6 pppd for repos. It's now @ €9pppd which will cost us €432 for our upcoming trip before we even consider showing our appreciation to the hard-working steward and waiter.

We have had butlers many times on NCL. Our approach is very simple. At the end of the cruise we put our heads together and come up with a tip amount for our butler based on the services we needed. Needless to say we do not have or would suggest an tip amount prior to boarding. It all depends on our needs on a particular cruise.

Edited by RichNY

On NCL the Butlers and Concierge are not in the tip pool.

So we had an amount in our heads and worked up or down from there.

I was curious about MSC too because I understand they are in the pool and that MSC discourages tipping but people do anyway.

On NCL the Butlers and Concierge are not in the tip pool.

So we had an amount in our heads and worked up or down from there.

I was curious about MSC too because I understand they are in the pool and that MSC discourages tipping but people do anyway.

I was under the same impression. I personally know of several clients that never tip Yacht Club as the Butlers/Concierge are included in the service charge. NCL is different in that respect. MSC also caters more to a European base and they are less accustomed to tipping extra for everything.

I was more interested to know what people tipped the butler

Sent from my SM-G928T using Forums mobile app

When we sailed this past June, we tipped our butler $100 and our room steward $50. We had a wonderful butler...Carlos. He even managed to put a lounger on our balcony which some on here said would not fit!!!

We spend a lot of time at the bar and usually stick with one bartender the majority of the time. By day 2 our bartender knows our drink(s) that includes how I like my espresso drinks. Good pours, real shot glasses and great service. If I was at my favorite bar at home everyday for a week or more, for hours at a time with a friend that's how I would tip. $50 each($100 together) AND I bartended so I know what it's like.

U can always have espresso or cappuccino if that what you are thinking. No problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I found out at the end of my last cruise if you want a flavored coffee in YC ask right away and they will get a bottle of flavoring for your coffee to keep in the YC. I drink iced lattes in the morning and love caramel ones even more. I'm excited to know this time I can have them eveyday!

We spend a lot of time at the bar and usually stick with one bartender the majority of the time. By day 2 our bartender knows our drink(s) that includes how I like my espresso drinks. Good pours, real shot glasses and great service. If I was at my favorite bar at home everyday for a week or more, for hours at a time with a friend that's how I would tip. $50 each($100 together) AND I bartended so I know what it's like.

That's great, but as I pointed out earlier, there are two bars in the Yacht Club, and rotating bartenders, so I guess my question had to do with what about the other bartenders that served you.

We tipped (well) but spread the tips out across all of those that gave us great service.

gary

What's the coffee like in LeMuse?

I have heard it's strong, but what do you order if you want regular American coffee first thing in the morning. I recall reading we should ask for Cafe Americano.... is this correct?