Toddler in David's

Ktrumbies

Hey, were you that guy on the Victory at the table next to us that kept reminding us you don't like kids and we better keep ours quiet (when ours never made a squeak). Like every 5 minutes throughout dinner...and we were at our own table and got there 20 minutes before you. Was that you? Maybe it was.

Being fair, parents of disruptive kids will usually say things like "he barely made a sound" or "he was just so excited, he was so happy". Most parents see their kids as perfect little snowflakes, even tho some are vile little creatures :D....Seriously, for a lot of parents, it's a bigger deal for the child to be there so they can brag to their friends that "Little Johnny was so good in the Steakhouse eating his adult meal". The child would probably rather have chicken fingers with ketchup and watch cartoons instead of sitting in a quiet steakhouse for 2.5 hrs. My favorite is "My child has a very refined palate"....NO HE DOESNT....you want him to have this refined palate so you can crow about what a mature child you have. The same kid that eats crab legs will probably be just as happy with processed fish sticks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

Being fair, parents of disruptive kids will usually say things like "he barely made a sound" or "he was just so excited, he was so happy". Most parents see their kids as perfect little snowflakes, even tho some are vile little creatures :D....Seriously, for a lot of parents, it's a bigger deal for the child to be there so they can brag to their friends that "Little Johnny was so good in the Steakhouse eating his adult meal". The child would probably rather have chicken fingers with ketchup and watch cartoons instead of sitting in a quiet steakhouse for 2.5 hrs. My favorite is "My child has a very refined palate"....NO HE DOESNT....you want him to have this refined palate so you can crow about what a mature child you have. The same kid that eats crab legs will probably be just as happy with processed fish sticks

I was there, my kid was quiet. Some kid hating jackwagon showed up after us and started harassing us. And this was the MDR. Had to make a fool out of him to his wife and watch him stick his tail between his legs.

We have a toddler who will be 19 months when we sail in November. Can we take him to David's with us, or is this a really horrible thing to do? We would go early...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Only you know how he will do, and you won't really know until you are getting ready whether it will be a good night for him. I have multiple children and some would have been word perfect, others horrors. I can guarantee my grandson won't be there! He is on the horror side! Please don't be insulted either if we see you as we are bring seated and ask to be seated elsewhere. If we are going out to a romantic evening, we want as quiet an area as possible.

Yes, it is everyone's cruise, including your son's and so everyone should respect each other's space. I have actually never seen an awful kid in a cruise ship restaurant. Maybe I have just been lucky, but most of the time I think kids rise to the occasion.

Edited by MommaBear55

I was there, my kid was quiet. Some kid hating jackwagon showed up after us and started harassing us. And this was the MDR. Had to make a fool out of him to his wife and watch him stick his tail between his legs.

I didn't claim to be there and I wasn't singling you out. I said that most parents think their snowflakes are perfect little angels when we both know that is not nearly the case

Edited by First and Ten

We have a toddler who will be 19 months when we sail in November. Can we take him to David's with us, or is this a really horrible thing to do? We would go early...

I'm sure they are allowed, but it would be a very bad idea for the child (having to sit there that long) as well as you and the other diners (having to listen to a bored, cranky child)

Best for whom: your child, yourselves, or the people you are sharing a ship with. I'll put myself at the head of the line when it comes to self-entitlement, at my age I've earned it, but that doesn't mean I leave my common sense at home on a shelf. People are paying upwards of a hundred bucks (with dinner and wine and a drink for two) and many of them do regard the steak houses as somewhere to enjoy some romantic or quiet time relaxing over a well done dinner. They, too, are paying for their cruise and the venue.

This is what the OP posted: and the consensus seems to be that others would respect the OP if they didn't bring along a toddler. Asked and answered.

Regardless of what you are paying the cruise line says it's not an adult only venue so anyone dining there should expect there may be small children. Simple really. And I personally don't know any parent that would allow their child to be disruptive in a restaurant. Most know to remove them right away.

Funny that people always focus on kids disturbing others but no one mentions sloppy joe drunk man that gets loud and obnoxious so that everyone has to listen to it. I find this more annoying than a child.

My take on this:

If I am dining and there is a disruptive child spoiling my evening, I will quietly get up and throw the problem on the maitre d'.

"This child is disrupting my meal, either deal with the parents or I am leaving, and anything I have eaten WILL be comped."

Hit Carnival in the wallet. If they allow unruly toddlers in the steak house, it is their problem, not mine to endure. Some decorum should be maintained by the staff.

As to unruly, drunk adults, the same would apply.

It's rather quite simple, you see. :cool:

Regardless of what you are paying the cruise line says it's not an adult only venue so anyone dining there should expect there may be small children. Simple really. And I personally don't know any parent that would allow their child to be disruptive in a restaurant. Most know to remove them right away.

Funny that people always focus on kids disturbing others but no one mentions sloppy joe drunk man that gets loud and obnoxious so that everyone has to listen to it. I find this more annoying than a child.

Just because you don't know them doesn't mean they don't exist.

And OP has a toddler, not a drunk adult. Mentioning the later is irrelevant to OP.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Again, we are talking about a quiet venue, where the typical couple is spending about $100 for a nice quiet evening. I would expect to see and hear children in Denny's, Cracker Barrel, Long Horn, Outback - but not in Ruth's Chris or Flemings or any upscale restaurant...which is what the Steakhouse is.

And yes, if we were being seated and there were children nearby, I would asked to be moved as far away as possible.

Love kids - don't get me wrong, but $100 for a meal, it should be peaceful and enjoyable. The word toddler does NOT equal peaceful...

I'm a little perplexed aboit the post that stated "it's a Carnival Cruise, not a Viking cruise". So just because it's Carnival means it's ok?

I read that part as well and was a bit confused....What is the poster implying, that because Carnival is cheaper in price, rude/bad behavior should be tolerated? An unruly 19 month old in the Carnival Steakhouse is acceptable, but on Viking its not? Unless they are claiming that a 19 yr old can discern between Carnival and Viking. Maybe the poster is saying the toddler is thinking "Oh goodie, we are on Carnival, I can scream my head off in the steakhouse, if we were on a Viking cruise, I would have to behave" ;)

Edited by First and Ten

Again, we are talking about a quiet venue, where the typical couple is spending about $100 for a nice quiet evening. I would expect to see and hear children in Denny's, Cracker Barrel, Long Horn, Outback - but not in Ruth's Chris or Flemings or any upscale restaurant...which is what the Steakhouse is.

And yes, if we were being seated and there were children nearby, I would asked to be moved as far away as possible.

Love kids - don't get me wrong, but $100 for a meal, it should be peaceful and enjoyable. The word toddler does NOT equal peaceful...

Carnival allows children in the steakhouse, and they even have a kids menu, so you need to contact carnival and complain that they allow children in the steakhouse. Second, the carnival steakhouse is not ruth chris or Flemings, it is how food on cruise ships used to be served in the MDR. No way does the steakhouse on carnival come close to an upscale rest. Third, since carnival allows children in the steakhouse and has a separate menu for them, why would you not expect children to be there?

Carnival allows children in the steakhouse, and they even have a kids menu, so you need to contact carnival and complain that they allow children in the steakhouse. Second, the carnival steakhouse is not ruth chris or Flemings, it is how food on cruise ships used to be served in the MDR. No way does the steakhouse on carnival come close to an upscale rest. Third, since carnival allows children in the steakhouse and has a separate menu for them, why would you not expect children to be there?

Your comparisons are pointless. It is clear you haven't read the responses in this thread and just shot off an uninformed response. Nobody is telling OP no. OP asked for an opinion, and the overwhelming one from parents and non-parents alike is that they wouldn't bring a child under two years old to the steakhouse. Doesn't matter the dining venue or if there is a kid's menu or not. A disruptive child should be removed. Period.

Your comparisons are pointless. It is clear you haven't read the responses in this thread and just shot off an uninformed response. Nobody is telling OP no. OP asked for an opinion, and the overwhelming one from parents and non-parents alike is that they wouldn't bring a child under two years old to the steakhouse. Doesn't matter the dining venue or if there is a kid's menu or not. A disruptive child should be removed. Period.

I was responding to a post that said that they would not expect toddlers to be in the steakhouse and the carnival steakhouse is just like ruth chris or Flemings. I know you are a mind reader but you missed on this, I did read the entire thread including the op post when it was made. You are saying that a disruptive child should be removed, the OP did not say there child would be disruptive, you are now making things up. The post I replied to did not say anything about removing a disruptive child, it said a toddler does not belong in a steakhouse. Per Carnival, they most certainly are welcome.

Third, since carnival allows children in the steakhouse and has a separate menu for them, why would you not expect children to be there?

Because most adults "know" where it is appropriate or inappropriate to take a child because they, as parents, should know that there are always places where kids are more of a nuisance than an enjoyment, both for themselves and for others.

A toddler does not know the "rules of the game" when they are 18 months old. They don't know how to behave in an adult venue, don't know to be respectful of others space. As a child ages they learn these things and some, by the age of early reasoning they, hopefully, have figured it out and can be trusted to act accordingly.

Just as we adults don't expect to sit and read quietly in a children's area where kids are encouraged to be kids we shouldn't have to endure children and their possible disruptive behavior in an area where the ambiance is designed to be adult. I would think most responsible parents would be able to differentiate acceptable locations to park their kids for 2 1/2 hours. Its called being gracious to others you are traveling with whether the "rules" say otherwise.

And, yes, if someone was sitting at the steakhouse with a toddler I would politely ask the host not to sit me anywhere near them. Experience is a great teacher....and for the most part I love kids and think they are a joy. Just not when I am trying to enjoy a quiet, relaxed dinner.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

Because most adults "know" where it is appropriate or inappropriate to take a child because they, as parents, should know that there are always places where kids are more of a nuisance than an enjoyment, both for themselves and for others.

A toddler does not know the "rules of the game" when they are 18 months old. They don't know how to behave in an adult venue, don't know to be respectful of others space. As a child ages they learn these things and some, by the age of early reasoning they, hopefully, have figured it out and can be trusted to act accordingly.

Just as we adults don't expect to sit and read quietly in a children's area where kids are encouraged to be kids we shouldn't have to endure children and their possible disruptive behavior in an area where the ambiance is designed to be adult. I would think most responsible parents would be able to differentiate acceptable locations to park their kids for 2 1/2 hours. Its called being gracious to others you are traveling with whether the "rules" say otherwise.

This is where we differ, you believe the steakhouse is an adult venue, I believe its a restaurant option on a cruise for everyone. If Carnival intended it to be a adult venue, they would have rules about it, as they do for the serenity areas on the ship. Their brand ambassador even posted recently, making sure everyone knew there was a child menu in the steakhouse. Not sure why he would do this, if he did not expect parents to take their children their. In fact, by his posting this info, I believe he was encouraging parents to bring there kids.

This is where we differ, you believe the steakhouse is an adult venue, I believe its a restaurant option on a cruise for everyone. If Carnival intended it to be a adult venue, they would have rules about it, as they do for the serenity areas on the ship. Their brand ambassador even posted recently, making sure everyone knew there was a child menu in the steakhouse. Not sure why he would do this, if he did not expect parents to take their children their. In fact, by his posting this info, I believe he was encouraging parents to bring there kids.

Children are not the same as infants and toddlers. A well behaved 6 year old who is well versed in how to behave in public is not a problem. In fact they are adorable dressed up in their finery and interacting with Mom and Dad at a grown-up place.

At $35 bucks a pop and $10 bucks for kids most passengers would think twice about attending dinner at "a restaurant" option with their entire family in tow to a venue where there is a dress code and a "time" issue. Most parent's would think twice about dragging their kids and expecting them to sit quietly for 2 or 2 1/2 hours. Having sat in the MDR enough times I can state, unequivocally, that most tables with young kids rarely make it to the dessert stage.

Again, most people on this board understand the "rules"...but just like other Carnival rules they may have their qualms about them and just hope that parent's are smart and savvy enough to understand that some areas are just not kid friendly. If parents like to travel with their kids they should be aware that it should be a vacation largely focused on the family and would restrain from thinking that they are "entitled" to enjoy areas where kids are allowed but not always welcomed by other guests.

I can see you being on of the parents that just sits there, repeatedly telling their child to be quiet. The child never listening, and you looking angrily as the people around you are bothered. "There is a kid's menu! My kid can be here and ruin everyone else's meal!"

Again, OP asked for an opinion, and has recieved one. Repeatedly. This isn't a matter of the steakhouse allowing kids or not. It is instead a should a parent bring a 18 month old to a meal that takes upwards of two hours. And the responding opinion is, while a lot of parents wouldn't, they don't care if OP does as long as OP doesn't let their kid sit there and be disruptive. Kid becomes disruptive, it is time to go.

Edited by jh2360

I'm sure the OP knows that children are allowed in the steakhouse but asked for our opinions whether it is a good idea to - "Can we take him with us to David's, or is this a horrible thing to do?"

Everyone responded with their opinons and it seems the majority say its not a good idea and stated their reasons why.

For me personally (and I have three children) I wouldn't have done it but that is because I know my children - while they are all very well behaved (my youngest, now 14-year-old is borderline, lol) they would not have been able to last the length of time that dinner would take without getting......antsy.

Its up to the OP to decide what to do based on what they've read and how they feel he would - they know their child best

I am glad that Bigdog weighed in because it does give another perspective....I understand his point, that Carnival wants to make the Steakhouse a "family" type" of dining experience and it seems most (didn't say all) people, at least on this thread have the perception that the Steakhouse should be a somewhat mature, upscale experience, considering there is a premium price attached to it. So inherently there is going to be friction, because a "premium" restaurant has a much different setting and feel to it than a "family friendly" restaurant. Here is the rub, I think most parents are realistic if their child, whether it be a toddler or a 10 yr old is equipped to handle a setting such as this. However, it just takes that 1 child to possibly ruin an evening of 20-30 diners. Carnival is trying to straddle the fence. Offering an "upscale" experience, yet keep it family friendly....that is a tough thing to balance. Just my 2 cents....age limit. Yes I do realize if you made the age limit of say 12 (I believe it should be 18, but just my opinion) that some 10 yr olds are better behave than some 14 yr olds, but you cant please everyone

Edited by First and Ten

I'm a little perplexed aboit the post that stated "it's a Carnival Cruise, not a Viking cruise". So just because it's Carnival means it's ok?

Have you every been on a Viking cruise? They don't allow children under the age of 12. Therefore, no screaming toddlers anywhere.

They also have no childrens programs and no childrens activities. They also have the right to limit or refuse those under the age of 18 to sail. Guess what? That's pretty close to an "adults only" cruiseline (and it pretty much is).

Edited by StolidCruiser

Have you every been on a Viking cruise? They don't allow children under the age of 12. Therefore, no screaming toddlers anywhere.

They also have no childrens programs and no childrens activities. They also have the right to limit or refuse those under the age of 18 to sail. Guess what? That's pretty close to an "adults only" cruiseline (and it pretty much is).

Gotchya - but does that imply that it's acceptable to have a screaming child on Carnival then? Just wondering....

Gotchya - but does that imply that it's acceptable to have a screaming child on Carnival then? Just wondering....

You're overthinking this way too much.

Children are permitted in the Carnival steakhouse. Even screaming ones.

Proper etiquette is for the parent to remove the screaming child.

A different approach is to not take a child who may turn into a screaming one to a certain dining venue in the first place so as to not negatively affect guests.

Only the parent of said child knows if that could happen.

It's such a simple question with such a simple answer - like the one I gave earlier.