Tricks of the Trade

kruisey

Planning the following years cruises and promoting sale gimmicks.

Cruise price increased but offer free gratuities, $100 OBC a free meal in the Grill.........Got you hook ,line and sinker..........:eek:

'Tricks of the Trade' that always wins.

Cruise price increased but offer free gratuities, $100 OBC a free meal in the Grill.........Got you hook ,line and sinker..........:eek:

And next they will drop those perks and put the cruise 'on sale' for the old price

If you're getting anything for "free" chances are you're paying for it in another way. I've seen several hotel rooms being charged every price imaginable. And for an additional $105 you get a $100 spa gift certificate etc. or free $100 to use at a restaurant.

I'm sure the cruises are no different.

Edited by greenfroggie

This is happening with all of the Cruise Lines. Some promote kids sail free, Second passenger sails for 1/2 price and added perks. NCL was offering kids sail free at one point. I did a mock booking for my wife and two kids. I also did a booking for 2 rooms with 2 in the room. In the end both scenarios were the same price. Of course I would go for the two rooms for the same price but how many unsuspecting new passengers fell for the promotion? Celebrity is now running second passenger pays 1/2 price. The only problem is 2 weeks before the sale they jacked up price to double the original cost. In the end you are paying the same price that you would have paid had you booked before the sale. There was one exception. When I booked just before the sale they offered a choice to pick two of four perks. The price was about $100 more than what was offered with one perk that you always get to pick. I choose the drink package and $300 obc which will go toward gratuities. If I were to book now I would be paying the same and only receiving one perk. I wonder if anyone who uses a travel agent is advised of these situations or do you still have to do your homework?

It's a typical sales tactic that the cruise lines are just getting into. I'm sure it increases sales tremendously since there are so many newer cruisers each year.

It defiantly works because the cruise I booked on Celebrity has gone up in all categories except aqua and suites since the sale started. Honestly I don't have the opportunity to cruise much so if I wasn't a member of CC and didn't know to monitor price I would think I was getting a great deal especially when the word Free is used in the ad.

Edited by Iamcruzin

You may also find that even some of the "last minute deals" were once available at a better price if you factored in the previously advertised perks. There's no way to figure out the cruise lines--do the best you can and then keep watching up to the final payment date just in case something better comes along.

There is a lot to consider. What I have been doing is figuring out what it costs per day given all of the incentives and or sales plus airfare If it comes with in what I think is a good deal then I will book it. I'm booked on a 7 day Celebrity cruise to Bermuda. The total per day which includes the a drink package, $300 OBC,(included in the cruise fare) Taxes and port charge and Celebrity cruise insurance comes to $177 a day. I can drive to port so there is no cost for airfare. Gratuities will be paid with the OBC and I will still have a few dollars left over to spend on board. I don't know where else I can go for this daily all inclusive price. I will add that the port charge and tax for Bermuda was $408.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Some cruises on the "3 for Free" are a good deal, and some are not. We booked a 10-day Alaska, inside cabin, for $1199.00 per person. If I subtract the free gratuities and the $100.00 per person cabin credit, the room is costing us $964.00 per person. If I see another sale or price drop below $964.00, then I can re-book without the perks. Port taxes are an additional $250.00 per person.

I checked out the 2016 price for the 28 day Hawaii / South Pacific Islands cruise. Then I checked out price for the same cruise in 2017 with the Sip n Sail promo. The price was exactly the same. No price increase at all and 28 days of the AIBP. I'm not sure what happened there but I jumped on it.

Edited by Thrak

I checked out the 2016 price for the 28 day Hawaii / South Pacific Islands cruise. Then I checked out price for the same cruise in 2017 with the Sip n Sail promo. The price was exactly the same. No price increase at all and 28 days of the AIBP. I'm not sure what happened there but I jumped on it.

2016 Hawaii Islands 15 days from Vancouver BC $1500. Hawaii Islands from San Francisco 15days 2017 $1800 Inside Cabin.........Then you will get your 3 for 1 for the 2017 cruise....?????? Oh Canadian Princess web site:eek:

Tricks of Trade.

Edited by kruisey

Yes, it happens. I'm looking at a similar deal SF-Hawaii-15day but this is with the 3-for-free. Same initial price as 2017-2018. Just not sure I want to book so far out in the future.

'Tricks of the Trade' that always wins.[/quote]

So, it's working!

On the Canadian Princess site it certainly is 'Tricks of the Trade':eek:

Yes, it happens. I'm looking at a similar deal SF-Hawaii-15day but this is with the 3-for-free. Same initial price as 2017-2018. Just not sure I want to book so far out in the future.

Why not?? You get a better choice of cabin and if you decide you don't want to go, you can cancel it (before final payment, of course). Just be sure that if you use a TA they don't charge a cancellation fee. I book all my trips 1-2 years ahead, usually as soon as the bookings open. Am currently planning 2018 and 2019.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

tricks indeed. Seems like Princess prices are manipulated to maximize revenue!! Shame on them:) . They price adjust much like the airlines.

So, we want Crown 28 day 2016 South Pacific. Balcony C deck, forward, category BE. We like the forward or mid-forward cabins. Our third (yes 3) times on this same exact cruise, 2013, 2015 and now 2016.

From past booking and price experience I know that cabins will become available when the full amount payment is due. So I am watching a lot and waiting. Also Princess is sending me emails with good deals for this and other 2016 cruises. I'm watching and waiting. I want price at $4K or lower. On July 28th get email that offers us C deck cat BE for $4,089. Close enough. We book C deck forward. Price before July 28 was $5,109.

Now get this - now Princess stops sending me emails with deals. Yes, that's right, I can no longer see discounts on our cabin. Or for any of the cruises rest of 2016. I can not see the discounts we booked under. But wait - my sister has Captain Circle number and ID so I login as her, this about Aug 12th. Guess what - cat BE C deck is going for $3,749. If I log in I see $5,109.

So Princess when you take their bait and get reeled in no longer wants you to know what is happening with prices. I'm not complaining. (Not a huge difference between $4,089 and $3,749). Happy with what we got and paid for it. Princess just doing what the airlines do with prices. The actuarial part of me wants to analyze this.

Today 9/16 there are still three cabins available C deck forward, cat BE. Listing for $6,134 - not logged in. I login and same $6,134.

Happy cruising

You may also find that even some of the "last minute deals" were once available at a better price if you factored in the previously advertised perks. There's no way to figure out the cruise lines--do the best you can and then keep watching up to the final payment date just in case something better comes along.

Moki, you are exactly right!! I do this it all the time :)

Tony

tricks indeed. Seems like Princess prices are manipulated to maximize revenue!! Shame on them:) . They price adjust much like the airlines.

So, we want Crown 28 day 2016 South Pacific. Balcony C deck, forward, category BE. We like the forward or mid-forward cabins. Our third (yes 3) times on this same exact cruise, 2013, 2015 and now 2016.

From past booking and price experience I know that cabins will become available when the full amount payment is due. So I am watching a lot and waiting. Also Princess is sending me emails with good deals for this and other 2016 cruises. I'm watching and waiting. I want price at $4K or lower. On July 28th get email that offers us C deck cat BE for $4,089. Close enough. We book C deck forward. Price before July 28 was $5,109.

Now get this - now Princess stops sending me emails with deals. Yes, that's right, I can no longer see discounts on our cabin. Or for any of the cruises rest of 2016. I can not see the discounts we booked under. But wait - my sister has Captain Circle number and ID so I login as her, this about Aug 12th. Guess what - cat BE C deck is going for $3,749. If I log in I see $5,109.

So Princess when you take their bait and get reeled in no longer wants you to know what is happening with prices. I'm not complaining. (Not a huge difference between $4,089 and $3,749). Happy with what we got and paid for it. Princess just doing what the airlines do with prices. The actuarial part of me wants to analyze this.

Today 9/16 there are still three cabins available C deck forward, cat BE. Listing for $6,134 - not logged in. I login and same $6,134.

Happy cruising

Just learn to beat them at their own game......Just this week, we booked this same Crown 28-day sailing departing LA on Oct 20. We used that "cruise" website where agents "compete" for your business and got a Forward guarantee inside for the two of us for a total of $3988, port charges, taxes and fees included. That was $400 cheaper than booking directly with Princess. Then the agent we booked with got us upgraded to a Midship inside. Not bad for under $2000 per person on this fabulous 28-day sailing.

Edited by nipponcruiser

I didn't mention below but our C BE cabin forward is balcony, a bit bigger balcony than A or B decks). My wife likes big balconies, she would probably trade 1/2 our cabin size if it could become more balcony! :)

Yeah, I thought about making a desirable cabin reservation months ahead and then canceling when prices drop for a better price. Per Princess a cancellation up to 75 days prior no cancellation fee. At 74-57 days out incurs penalty of only the deposit. $100? So let's see the sailing date is Oct 20. I booked on 7/28 and that is 84 days out. Over 56 days penalty is 50% of fare. Which for Oct 20 would be 8/25. I could have waited another 4 weeks. What I could not be sure of is the cabin selection at that time. So I nailed it down on the July 28th. Question is, if waiting, what would be the cabin price at that time? MY PRICE. My price since Princess can play games with you and pricing. Would on 8/24 that same C cabin BE still be $4,089? Likely that it could rise a $1,000?

Anyway, go to the Princess site for that Crown 20 Oct cruise out of LA and you will see as I said below deck C balcony cabins and 3 are available. But way forward. On A and B decks (forward) there are 19 balcony cabins open. I could happily live with any of those to save another $1,000.

Heck of a deal nipponcruiser $2,000 per person 28 days! I can't live at home for that! I will brag a bit about the OBC we got from TA - $640. She split her commission, 15%, with us. We are a quick and easy sell, we know what we want and 20 minutes later it is booked and confirmed. That $640 plus FCC plus military puts us OBC $1,190. Sweeeet. But Gratuities will eat hard into that- big time

nipponcruiser - don't forget your Halloween costume! We will be pirates, naturally. Walk the plank you scurvy dogs!!