Disembarking southampton

103brandy

Our train leaves Southampton Central at 9.30am.

However I have since read that disembarkation doesn't begin until 9am.

I'm sure that we have been off earlier previously.

Is there any way we can arrange to leave earlier without having to walk off with our luggage?

We are on Ventura 23/11/16. Mayflower terminal.

The only way to get off early is to do self disembarkation where you have to carry ALL your luggage with you. Otherwise book a later train?

Brian

We've already booked the train Brian. It's the only direct one that day.

It would be a struggle to walk off with luggage . I'm sure we have been off the ship before 9 previously.

It would be a struggle to walk off with luggage . I'm sure we have been off the ship before 9 previously.

Very earliest I have been off is about 8.30 and that was with priority. You only have to have a minor holdup and that can move back 30 to 40 minutes. Even if you get off at 08.30 you still have to find you luggage and then get a taxi.

You will be very lucky to get your train.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Very earliest I have been off is about 8.30 and that was with priority. You only have to have a minor holdup and that can move back 30 to 40 minutes. Even if you get off at 08.30 you still have to find you luggage and then get a taxi.

You will be very lucky to get your train.

Thanks Dai, we will just have to walk off with our luggage somehow.

We have four wheel cases so they just roll along but my mobility isn't great.

You also need to factor in customs. Many times we have walked through and seen none, but after one cruise on Ventura, customs had over 20 staff on duty and were rigorously searching passengers luggage. Disembarkation was running nearly 2 hours behind schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've been through many times and the only times we've seen customs are when coming in from the Canary Islands when they look fo duty free cigarettes and alcohol

I'm sure they are there every cruise but not visible.

As I said to Dai, we will just have to walk off with our luggage .

Thanks Dai, we will just have to walk off with our luggage somehow.

We have four wheel cases so they just roll along but my mobility isn't great.

There is a point just after descending to ground level where you can obtain assistance from one of the porters. They line up with barrows at the bottom of the escalator/stairs. Tell them you want a taxi and they will get you to the rank. From this point they will be handling your cases while you walk without luggage, this is significantly easier.

You still need to self disembark from the ship to the ground floor.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I would seriously consider changing to a later train, even if you have a porter once ashore, you still have to get through the crowds also in a hurry to disembark, and go down the walkway.

We have also been late docking a couple of times, due to strong head winds (likely in November!), and sadly once when a crew member jumped overboard in the channel, delaying us several hours whilst a search was carried out.

It would it would be easier to take a later train, it would involve platform changes, but it would probably be easier than self disembarking, apart from the peace of mind not worrying about it on the cruise!

We live just over 200 miles away, but always travel down the day before, just to be sure, guess I'm a pessimist!

Isn't there some courier service that picks up the bags and delivers to your home. I expect it's expensive but it would enable you to self- disembark and might be cheaper than the cost of changing train tickets or staying over an extra day.

I can't help with the details but maybe someone else on here knows.

I have looked up the train times for 23 Nov on the National Rail website. The 0930 train to Newcastle is via London, which involves a station change via the underground. Not easy to hump luggage up and down escalators.

There is a direct train to Newcastle at 0946 and another at 1146.

Brian

Isn't there some courier service that picks up the bags and delivers to your home. I expect it's expensive but it would enable you to self- disembark and might be cheaper than the cost of changing train tickets or staying over an extra day.

I can't help with the details but maybe someone else on here knows.

Yes there is the Baggage Handling Company.

http://www.thebaggagehandlingcompany.com/index.html

However, you still have to collect your luggage in the baggage hall and clear customs before handing over your bags.

May not be of use in this case but useful for people in Scotland who are flying with limited baggage allowance.

Brian

There is a point just after descending to ground level where you can obtain assistance from one of the porters. They line up with barrows at the bottom of the escalator/stairs. Tell them you want a taxi and they will get you to the rank. From this point they will be handling your cases while you walk without luggage, this is significantly easier.

Regards John

One point are the porters there for the self disembarkation.?

Regards John

Thanks John, looks like this will be our best plan.

Our train is not until 9.47am so hopefully if we can self disembark just after 8 we will have plenty of time.

I have looked up the train times for 23 Nov on the National Rail website. The 0930 train to Newcastle is via London, which involves a station change via the underground. Not easy to hump luggage up and down escalators.

Brian

Thanks Brian, we are on the 9.46 direct train. I said 9.30 as I like to get to the station in good time.

We got the 11.46 train last year and were at the station when the earlier one came in so had to sit around for two hours. That's why we booked the earlier one this time.

My recent experience is that the disembarkation starts earlier than scheduled, maybe 20 mins early. If this happens, then you should make the 0946 train if you get yourself in the first group to disembark. See reception for an early slot if you don't get one.

Brian

One point are the porters there for the self disembarkation.?

As far as I am aware they are official personnel who have been approved and wear ID badges and work on a self employed basis. I am not sure what their working hours are but suspect some turn up earlier as they probably get more money off tips than from any notional employer. One could always seek a definitive answer from the port authority who I assume is their ultimate employer.

Regards John

Just be careful - we did self disembarkation in April 2014. The ship was 2 hours late in and it was a nightmare as we were mixed up with the other passengers keeping to their time. I also found the huge escalators frightening with large cases.

Just our opinion , and we are ok re the mobility, but would think twice before doing it again.

PS Glad we found you 103brandy :D;)

Just be careful - we did self disembarkation in April 2014. The ship was 2 hours late in and it was a nightmare as we were mixed up with the other passengers keeping to their time. I also found the huge escalators frightening with large cases.

Just our opinion , and we are ok re the mobility, but would think twice before doing it again.

We use the lifts not escalators. What time did your ship get in?

We were late arriving into Southampton last July on a Princess cruise due to fog and we didnt dock until 9am.

We use the lifts not escalators. What time did your ship get in?

We disembarked at about 9.30am at the earliest. We were so late in and sadly we weren't given a lot of information about the correct procedure to follow so we had people keeping to their disembarkation times mixed up with those of us with our own cases.

Didn't know there were lifts. We were perched on those huge escalators and I ended up with my case on the step behind me. Not a clever move at all ... my fault but once I was on the escalator it was too late to sort myself out. Thankfully, hubby was on the step infront :-)

I'm having nightmares.

Some people telling me they had no problems as we didn't last year.but then others telling me their worst experience.

Thanks for your input everyone.

We will just have to wait and see.

If we miss the train we will just have to pay the price and get the next one.

Brian

Don't be too put off by the London route to the North East! My daughter and I were forced to use this route to travel from Durham to Southampton in August because I left it a bit late booking and there were no seats left on the direct train to Southampton.

We were dreading it but actually it was very easy. Durham to Kings Cross 2 hours 55 minutes, then 10 minutes in the taxi queue with 2 efficient Marshalls organising people. 17 minutes to Waterloo, and our train came in 5 minutes later; we were allowed straight on and it was just over an hour to Southampton. Really good journey and cheaper than the direct train too! I'd do it again.