Panama Canal new locks transit

lais

Not yet... the Canal is accepting reservations from cruise lines for transits through the expansion locks beginning April 1, 2017. As of now the first cruise ship scheduled to go through the new locks is the Caribbean Princess in October 2017.

Only the Koningsdam is too large for the old locks, so barring something unforeseen all the other of HAL's ships will still use the old locks.

Not yet... the Canal is accepting reservations from cruise lines for transits through the expansion locks beginning April 1, 2017. As of now the first cruise ship scheduled to go through the new locks is the Caribbean Princess in October 2017.

Only the Koningsdam is too large for the old locks, so barring something unforeseen all the other of HAL's ships will still use the old locks.

Thank you!!!

We did the Panama canal a few years back & would love to do it again just to see the new locks. I've watched a few documentaries on the building of the new locks so seeing the finished project would be great.

Allan

It seems that so far only the Caribbean Princess is scheduled to transit the new locks - in October 2017.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Just-one-cruise-ship-scheduled-to-use-new-Panama-Canal-locks

They are scheduled to be the first. I suppose it not out of the realm of possibility that another ship could beat them to the punch and schedule an earlier transit. The Canal has stated they have 11 reservations for cruise ships to use the new locks beginning in October 2017. The Canal has not indicated how many of those 11 reservation might be used by the Caribbean Princess since the CP is making multiple transits during the 2017 Canal season.

Per this article Want to Cruise Through the New Panama Canal Locks? Here's How, the Disney Wonder will be using the new locks in 2017 (west bound 04/23 & east bound 10/27) although I have not seen any announcement from Disney. A poster on the 10/27/2017 roll call states changes to be made to the Wonder during its next dry dock (adding a "duck tail") will make it too large for the old locks.

• 2 weeks later...

Economics dictate that the ships that fit in the old locks will not use the new locks. Keep in mind that the new lock is a single lane as opposed to the original concurrent two lane systems.

I sailed the canal last March, and saw the new locks, and they are impressive.

I doubt I will book on a mega ship just to sail them.

I could see Celebrity putting a Solstice Class ship through the new locks when they announce their fall 2018 itineraries, as they now make a tech stop in Colon for Canal tours instead. Then again the authorities may want to limit the number of cruise ships using the new locks so they can reap the rewards of the shipping industry, which is whom they were really intended for :D

Somehow with the added expense and limited lane for many larger ships, I cannot see HAL's non-Pinnacle ships using the new lanes. It would be wonderful to use the new lanes and that alone may get me on a Pinnacle-class ship in the future.

Me too!! I swore that I'd never get on an enormodam but I'm a retired engineer and I've just GOTTA see how those new locks work.