Cinque Terre from La Spezia

mvh

Has anyone gone to Cinque Terre from La Spezia? What is the best (easiest) way? Is there a good link to get this info.? I just assume it's a rip off on a ship excursion. Can I hire a driver for 6? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Has anyone gone to Cinque Terre from La Spezia? What is the best (easiest) way? Is there a good link to get this info.? I just assume it's a rip off on a ship excursion. Can I hire a driver for 6? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

I have taken the train from La Spezia to Cinque Terre. It was a good way to go. We parked near the train station.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Totally agree with Bruce. We would add that DW and I have driven to Cinque Terre on multiple occasions, and this is an area with one would simply park (usually at Riomaggiore or Monterosso al Mare) and then use the train, ferrys, and hiking to get around between the villages. From La Spezia the train to Riomaggiore (the closest village) is pretty fast...and that same train connects the other villages. We are always reticent to recommend ferries (which are actually pretty small boats) since their schedules (and frequency) really varies. Using ferry versus train is a decision best made at or near the actual time you will be moving :).

Hank

The Cinque Terre is easily self done by train from La Spezia Centrale station .

With the CT you buy a Daily CT Pass at CT Tourist Office on main platform at La Spezia station. That gives you unlimited train travel for the day between La Spezia, and the 5 villages of the CT . Also admission to walking paths of CT, and use of CT shuttle bus between Corniglia station and Corniglia high above avoiding 350 stairs ! From La Spezia by train it is 10 minutes to the nearest village in Riomaggiore and 25 minutes to the furthest in Monterosso .

Trains run at a minimum 30 minute frequency, but not all trains stop at all stations.

From La Spezia the order of villages is Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso el Mare .

If pressed for time skip Monterosso and/or Corniglia .

All villages except Corniglia are also serviced by ferry departing from Portovenere . From La Spezia take Bus P from Stop P in Via Garabaldi near Corso Cavour at 25 and 55 minutes past the hour to reach Portovenere (30 minute trip).

Ferry times here : www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it/en

With the villages :

Riomaggiore has two halves . The waterfront half is accessed by walking through a pedestrian tunnel parallel to the rail line on the inland side back towards La Spezia. At the end of the tunnel go down the steps under the railway to reach the waterfront . Corniglia is high up on a hill. Either climb 350 zig zag stairs at the Vernazza end of the station or take the shuttle bus . Monterosso has two halves linked by a shared use pedestrian / road tunnel . Old Monterosso is the more interesting . Ferries arrive in old Monterosso, the train station and a spectacular swimming beach are in New Monterosso .

l

• 1 month later...

Hello

Getting to 5lands from La Spezia is a very easy train ride. To the farthest village, Monterosso, it's only about 20 minutes. If you sit on the left side of the train, you get a beautiful view of the sea as you emerge from the tunnels.

You can hike from monterosso to vernazza, for instance, in about 90 minutes, depending on how fast you hike.

The ferries are not always available. They just recently closed for the season and during peaks this, they don't operate if the seas are rough. So, it's a good idea to know the train schedule regardless.

Enjoy!

IMHO, it would be a waste of money to go on an excursion or do a private car. Cinque Terre is one place where anyone can DIY. There really is no need for a guide to interpret for you anything you see - the villages ARE the attraction.

The train is incredibly easy to use. As for the ferry, I also do not recommend relying on it for your primary transportation; it is always subject to weather and it does not run year-round (if I remember correctly). You have to be aware of the times of ferry arrival/departure at each village in order to figure out your order of visit. But, always have the train timetable in your mind in case the ferry becomes unavailable. Private cars - they will drive you to an outlying parking lot and drop you off - you have to walk into each village yourself - then you walk back to the car, go to the next village, repeat...

The one big issue now is that you now have a couple thousand day-trippers getting off a ship at La Spezia and trying to get to CT. You may not get the first train, or even the second train.

As for hiking between Vernazza and Monterosso: it is a hike over uneven terrain, rocks, logs, on single-track "goat trail". It is definitely NOT flat. It is not for a casual walker. 90 minutes would be a reasonable for people in-shape who do not stop often for "breaks." The trail is largely exposed, so you have to be prepared to walk in the heat. If you want to hike, it is a fantastic trail to take (although some places did give me some anxiety - I have issues with trails and roads on the sides of hills that have big drop offs and no guardrails).

Edited by slidergirl

• 5 months later...

We are traveling to La Spezia on an upcoming cruise and will be in port from 7:00am-7:00pm. What is an estimate of how much time it would take for two adults to travel to all five Cinque Terra cities? Is this even possible in one day without having to rush back to port? Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,

I went by ferry. My plan was to get to Vernazza, walk to Monterosso and take a train back, walking the mile and a half to the ship from the train station. Alas it was a miserable, rainy day so I had to come back, cold and wet, by train from Vernazza. But despite everything it was still a great day, I hope you are luckier with the weather. All the best, Tony

MPZfm28F_lc

• 1 month later...

We just returned from a cruise that stopped in La Spezia. We thought we would take the train, but outside of the cruise port there were ferries going to CT. Weather permitting, this is the best way to see CT and to get its essence. Your approach to each village is from the sea and the views are wonderful. The ferry timetables are a bit tricky. My suggestion is to go to Monterosso first. On the way there you will see all 5 villages and Portovenere. Photo ops are great. At Monterosso speak to the ferry information person who is selling tickets to give you the times needed for departures from each village to get back to port in time. We were able to visit three villages and Portovenere. I think this is the best way to see Cinque Terra.

We just were in La Spezia. We visited the CinqueTerre from La Spezia by an individual e-bike tour with www.pakobike.de and it was absolutely awesome.

For me it seems the best way to visit this beautiful landscape far away of these masses of tourist off the beaten track. It is individual and an effective way also when I am not a biker.

With the ebike it's really a piece of cake and not at all exhausting.

We started from La Spezia directly by e-Bike and in 30 minutes and 500 m in altitude we arrived at the CinqueTerre national park.

Beautiful views above the Golf and the CinqueTerre coast. the whole journey I didn't made so many fotos as when we were there.

We had a stop for wine tasting and came down to Manarola and Riomaggiore.

The guide was fantastic because they have always very individual small groups, so the guide absolutely respect your desires.

When you book in advance they bring you the bikes also directly to the terminal.

Unbeatable prices also. Absolutely to recommend.

Best Regards, Tiefseetaucher

Yes there is a train, in fact I have a ticket from La Spezia to Monterosso in July. 4 euro (I am not on a cruise this time though). When I was on the cruise I hired Joe Banana Limos to Cinque Terre. It was excellent. It was easy because they showed us where to go and everything as when you are travelling for the first time somewhere, it is stress free with someone who knows where to go and shows you.