Grandeur Ship Enhancements

I was on the Indy transatlantic a couple of weeks ago and we docked next to Grandeur in St Maarten. She had loads of visible rust on her, around all the glass especially. Looked in such a bad shape if I hadn't known she was booked in for work I would be considering cancelling my 2017 cruise on her.

Only enhancement booked in that I know of, is the scrubbers for the funnels to provide cleaner air and less pollution. This will be required by future laws that take effect in 2020 but Royal Caribbean are doing all ships way before then. Anything else hasn't been announced yet, but some sister ships are in before her and will get the same treatment so keep an eye out for them.

Actually, the scrubbers are to meet the requirements of the US ECA, which went into effect 1 Jan 2015, so RCI is not ahead of the game, but behind, as are all of the cruise lines. Those ships that have not had scrubbers installed have had to burn diesel fuel while within 200 nm of the North American coast since 2015.

The current US ECA sulfur limit is 0.1%, while outside the ECA it is 3.5%. In 2020, the IMO is supporting a world wide sulfur limit of 0.5%, but I believe this is manageable while burning residual fuel oil without use of scrubbers or diesel fuel, as not many ships around the world are equipped or planning on equipping with scrubbers. Refineries have been producing 1% sulfur residual fuel for many years, so it is simply a matter of tightening the "de-sulfurizing" process.

I also thought the Grandeur already had scrubbers, which is why she was retained in Baltimore.

Edited by chengkp75

I heard they were looking at making a new pier at the old U.S. Steel facility at Sparrows Point which is below the bridge so they could bring in a bigger ship. Nothing definite just rumor,Thanks Brian

As with all ex-shipyards, you are dealing with a toxic disaster site. Typically, before anything is able to redevelop on shipyard space, they need to remove 8-10 feet of topsoil over the whole site and cart it away to a landfill. It would be nice to see the old yard developed, but it is a very costly proposition. I know the old yard in Jacksonville had this done, and the Aker yard in Philly has a large mountain of soil that is "off limits" due to toxicity.

She had loads of visible rust on her, around all the glass especially. Looked in such a bad shape if I hadn't known she was booked in for work I would be considering cancelling my 2017 cruise on her.

You might as well cancel now - no guarantee that will be removed during dry dock.

Biker, is surprised someone would cancel a cruise based on surface rust.:eek::rolleyes:

You might as well cancel now - no guarantee that will be removed during dry dock.

Biker, is surprised someone would cancel a cruise based on surface rust.:eek::rolleyes:

You, sir, make this forum a happier, much less gloomy place.

Edited by atnolan94

Oh, no! We are booked on the Grandeur in April 2018. I hope it doesn't leave until the fall. I don't want to go through the hassle of changing ships

and re-booking.

Right now there are cruises to book up to April 26, 2018 on the Grandeur. After that, no listings. We are on the April 14th cruise. But, anything can change, so we will have to wait and see what develops.

Gwen :)

Right now there are cruises to book up to April 26, 2018 on the Grandeur. After that, no listings. We are on the April 14th cruise. But, anything can change, so we will have to wait and see what develops.

Gwen :)

Yes, that is true. Probably won't leave Baltimore until after that. They can schedule Grandeur itineraries without inconviencing anyone.

I am anxious to hear what will happen in dry dock.

I just read recently that carpet and bed/bedding will be updated and also the possibility of adding a new restaurant. I really don't know where they'd put it. Also it was said, at the Top Tier Event, that the Grandeur will be leaving Baltimore sometime in 2018. They will replace the Grandeur with another ship, but don't know which one. Can't be any larger than the Vision class, because of the bridges it has to go under. I just hope it is not any smaller.

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At Captains' Corner a couple of weeks ago, we were told no new venues are to be added. No idea where they could even put one. Radiance class will fit also, but no mention of moving GR. Last time they moved her, they brought in Enchantment.

With regard to enhancements, it's possible there won't be anything major. All ships are required to undergo a drydock about every 2 1/2 years to inspect the hull; they usually do some other things then but not necessarily.

Actually that's incorrect - each RCI ship undergoes a scheduled maintenance dry dock every 5 years. :)