Spring break cruise- Freedom or Oasis with TEENS???

LeCricket

Hi! I'm looking at two cruises and trying to decide which to book, please give your thoughts if you have cruised both ships, especially if you have spring break/teen experience.

8 nights E. Caribbean on Freedom. FLL-Labadee-San Juan-St. Maarten-St.Kitts

Vs.

7 nights E. Caribbean on Oasis. ORL-Nassau-St. Thomas-St. Maarten

Both are the first week of April, so right during spring break. I know it will be super crowded! :( Our girls are 13 and 16. We have cruised on Freedom and LOVED it. Never cruised on Oasis. I know Oasis is bigger than Freedom but does it feel less crowded during very busy times? My girls are big FlowRider freaks. I see that Oasis has two whereas Freedom has one. That's good. Are they in two different locations?

I'd like to also add that we are beach people. We like to visit the beach at ports. Lay out and hopefully snorkel. We have been to St. Maarten and St. Thomas. Loved them both. Don't know about beaches in Nassau or San Juan though. Nassau just doesn't seem too safe and seems like most people tour the city of San Juan. Thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Edited by LeCricket

Both are the first week of April, so right during spring break. I know it will be super crowded!

This is probably a no lose situation. I don't speak from any experience at all, but I'd guess the 8 day might be a little less crowded as the spring breakers usually go for shorter cruises. I love both ships.

Freedom hands down. Extra day, extra port, extra beach. While San Juan is not necessarily known for their beaches (vs the rich history of the town), there are some nice beaches. We are beach people also, girls 11 and 16, Freedom wins for us. Oasis would not be a bad choice, just not as good in this instance as Freedom. Enjoy either way.

Hi!

Both are the first week of April, so right during spring break. I know it will be super crowded! :( Our girls are 13 and 16. We have cruised on Freedom and LOVED it. Never cruised on Oasis. I know Oasis is bigger than Freedom but does it feel less crowded during very busy times?

Thanks!

The ships sail with about the same amount of passengers each week. Oasis is great for children/families

Even though the Oasis holds more passengers it will not feel anymore crowded than the Freedom.....they do a great job spreading people out.

You can't go wrong with either, but I will always take a longer cruise over a shorter one.

BUT.....I have to say the Oasis class ships are a destination unto themselves!!

Tough choice......

Have a wonderful cruise!!

Hi! I'm looking at two cruises and trying to decide which to book, please give your thoughts if you have cruised both ships, especially if you have spring break/teen experience.

Vs.

Both are the first week of April, so right during spring break. I know it will be super crowded! :( Our girls are 13 and 16. We have cruised on Freedom and LOVED it. Never cruised on Oasis. I know Oasis is bigger than Freedom but does it feel less crowded during very busy times? My girls are big FlowRider freaks. I see that Oasis has two whereas Freedom has one. That's good. Are they in two different locations?

I'd like to also add that we are beach people. We like to visit the beach at ports. Lay out and hopefully snorkel. We have been to St. Maarten and St. Thomas. Loved them both. Don't know about beaches in Nassau or San Juan though. Nassau just doesn't seem too safe and seems like most people tour the city of San Juan. Thoughts on that?

Thanks!

8 is always better than 7. We did the 8 day on Navigator this year and loved it. Loved Labadee and St Kitts is our favorite Island. We are doing Liberty this year and sadly it's only 7 days. Hate not seeing the same day twice on the elevator.

If it was 7 night vs 7 night, Oasis would be a no-brainer. I'd probably pick Frredom for the extra night and stop, but if you went Oasis for a new experience, I wouldn't blame you. Oasis is Freedom on steroids an probably more fun for you and the teens ON the ship. I'd say Freedom has the better OFF the ship options.

Or just do what I sometimes do and flip a coin :-)

Vs.

Thanks!

My personal choice would be Freedom. That is my fav class of ship, the itinerary is better and you get another day of vacation.

My advice to you is that you can't go wrong choosing either of those two ships. The decision depends on if you tend to choose cruises based on itinerary or the ship. Better itinerary: Freedom Better ship: Oasis.

Oasis has two flowriders which is a plus for you.

Will your family want to use the zip line and enjoy the AquaTheater shows? If so that's another edge for Oasis.

You've already been to St. Maarten and St. Thomas so I think the itinerary for Freedom wins there, especially since you have the Labadee stop and you've stated you're beach people. Note that a lot of people are really down on the Nassau stop, and many won't even disembark that day. But maybe your family would like to go spend the day at the Atlantis resort, which makes the Oasis stop more valuable.

I do think it will be somewhat less crowded than you expect if your spring break is the first week of April. Most school districts match local college dates and that week is at the very of of the spring break 'season.' You can see a list of US college dates if you google "trip smarter spring break dates" (it should be the top choice.) Both ships will still be full at that time, and the 7 & 8 day itineraries keep the typical college spring break party crowd to a minimum. (As opposed to the 3 & 4 day spring break cruises.)

Edited by ewenix

I would normally say 8 beats 7 but not in this case. Since you have already been on Freedom, I would pick Oasis. We have been on both. Nothing wrong with Freedom, but Oasis and Allure are in a different class altogether. We would go on either one even if they didn't stop anywhere.

I love this forum! I just can't thank you all enough. Between everyone, you all think of every consideration. I just can't imagine someone like me ( a BIG planner) booking a cruise without this awesome, addicting forum. :)

Didn't think to take into consideration that a 7 or 8 day cruise would eliminate many college spring breakers, that many won't disembark @ Nassau like us (thanks ewenix). Food for thought for sure.

Still contemplating, but definitely leaning towards FOS. I am hesitant because I know I tend to stay with a known quantity (FOS) and I realize that at times I need to be pushed to try something new. However in this case, for now, I feel like it fits us.

People usually do tours in San Juan because the beaches aren't that nice (in comparison to other islands you will visit on those itineraries). San Juan is on the Atlantic side of the ocean so the water tends to be less calm and less pretty (the beach we went to was brown and dirty like the beaches in California, yuck, we wouldn't even get in the water). San Juan also has a lot of unique stuff to see for free and is easy to walk to.

If you hadn't said you are beach people I would have said pick the Oasis because your kids will be entertained even if they don't want to go to the islands, but since you like beaches, I'd pick the freedom itinerary; St Kitts has awesome beaches, St Maarten has a bunch to choose from too, and I hear Labadee is great (I've never been). You get 4 islands, an 8 day itinerary and 3 islands you've never been to as opposed to 3 islands, 7 days and only 1 new place. I always go for the most islands that I haven't visited yet and try not to redo too many (although I just can't get away from repeating St Maarten, which has made an appearance on 3 of 4 of my itineraries).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I agree you can't go wrong.

I would suggest before you book Freedom you take a look at how many ships will be at Labadee when you dock there. If it's just yours, great. If another ship is there that day, it will be a madhouse. It used to be a much better beach stop than it is now, in my opinion. They cordoned off one of the best beaches and now it's only for suite passengers, which means the other beaches are heavily crowded.

Go to cruisecal dot com and do itinerary lookup- it tells you which ships are in port each day along with yours.

I personally love San Juan and think it's a great spot (and we're beach people too!). We also have 13 and 16 year olds and we're doing Allure this spring break as the kids have done Freedom class and now we're going for the ship with more bells and whistles. They are excited to have their own stateroom across from ours (Boardwalk Balcony).

I agree you can't go wrong.

I would suggest before you book Freedom you take a look at how many ships will be at Labadee when you dock there. If it's just yours, great. If another ship is there that day, it will be a madhouse. It used to be a much better beach stop than it is now, in my opinion. They cordoned off one of the best beaches and now it's only for suite passengers, which means the other beaches are heavily crowded.

Go to cruisecal dot com and do itinerary lookup- it tells you which ships are in port each day along with yours.

I personally love San Juan and think it's a great spot (and we're beach people too!). We also have 13 and 16 year olds and we're doing Allure this spring break as the kids have done Freedom class and now we're going for the ship with more bells and whistles. They are excited to have their own stateroom across from ours (Boardwalk Balcony).

Thanks! I checked, and as of right now FOS is the only ship in port that day. Another point for FOS. :)

Okay, the layout of Oasis is totally confusing me. Anyone know if I can get one of the lower price ocean view balcony rooms (superior?) that is right across the hall from a central park or boardwalk balcony room?

Sure. For Central Park: decks 9-12 have many such cabins. For example, Ocean view cabins 10174-10216 and 10574-10616 match with Park view cabins 10175-10217 and 10575-10617. Decks 11 and 12 work pretty close to the same.

Boarwalk: Ocean views cabins 8282-8328 and 8694-8728 match with boardwalk view cabins 8293-8329 and 8695-8729. Decks 9-14 work pretty close to the same also.

Okay, the layout of Oasis is totally confusing me. Anyone know if I can get one of the lower price ocean view balcony rooms (superior?) that is right across the hall from a central park or boardwalk balcony room?

Unfortunately the way Royal's new website works, you can't search by cabin number any more, so its hard to tell if those rooms are available. Probably easiest to call them directly or call your TA.

Early in our cruising experience we did a 4 day cruise on CCL during spring break....not knowing. Well, needless to say, the spring breakers monopolized the ship. Not sure if a 7 day cruise would deter the college kids due to the cost. Personally, when I hear spring break and cruise, I say stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We love FREEDOM but if you haven't tried Oasis class...I think it is worth it and your kids would go crazy for it. My girls are grown and still prefer Oasis class because of all it offers. For me, it is too much because it makes me feel A.D.D. like I need to be doing something all the time. Just remember, the cabins are smaller on Oasis class but if you are doing 2 rooms you should be fine. I don't think you can go wrong with either ship though and we love the 8 day including St. Kitts. Have fun choosing and then ENJOY YOUR CRUISE! Don't second guess your choice.

Update:

I'm kind of shocked. I watched some YouTube videos of the Oasis and was pretty impressed. I showed them to the family, asked them to choose between Oasis and Freedom, and they ALL chose Freedom! Oasis overwhelmed them. They liked the comfort factor of having been on Freedom before and Oasis seemed to scare them off.

It's funny. We're a military family (22 years Air Force) and have lived and vacationed all over the world (mostly Asia and Europe). We don't do the same vacation twice, unlike a lot of their non-military friends. They are excited to experience the same thing twice, which they just don't usually do. So, I'm going to give that to them even though Oasis looks like SO MUCH FUN! Freedom it is! Thanks for ALL THE HELP. I appreciate it more than you know.

Cricket :)