Port Everglades Pier 18

drumtech77

For those who have sailed Allure out of P.E. Is there a better time to arrive at the pier? we are expecting average size crowds in early Nov. So, i'm not to concerned about that.

We are staying at the Embassy Suites 17th St. so we will be very close. Just looking for some good first hand advice on arrival at the pier.:D

we are expecting average size crowds in early Nov. So, i'm not to concerned about that.

D

Same crowds every week, 52 weeks a year

If you arrive too early you wait, a little later you walk on after checking in. Since your cruise has not happened, can't say when boarding will start. Could be noon or after

Same crowds every week, 52 weeks a year

If you arrive too early you wait, a little later you walk on after checking in. Since your cruise has not happened, can't say when boarding will start. Could be noon or after

I'll have to disagree with you on your post. It's an average capacity sailing the week I'm going . Two weeks later, thanksgiving week, will add another 600+ guests. That would have an impact on check in times.

So, it's not the same... logically.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'll have to disagree with you on your post. It's an average capacity sailing the week I'm going . Two weeks later, thanksgiving week, will add another 600+ guests. That would have an impact on check in times.

Where are you getting this information from?

With capacity for RCCL at 105%, you wont notice a difference. Your cruise may be at 102%, Thankgiving at 106% thats 200 to 250 pax out of 6300. No difference

And if you look at pricing, Thanksgiving week is actually cheaper than the week you are going which would lead me to believe that your cruise is fuller.

Edited by whitshel

Have to agree with the others who have responded to your comments. Most RCI ships sail full every cruise so there is no "average" capacity other than full, and no difference in crowds based on your sailing date. So it is the same. And where are you getting the "600+ two weeks later" information?

But Pier 18 is very well organized and you will not have any issues and I would arrive around 10:30 as boarding typically begins around 11:00.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I have no idea whether or not the 600+ passengers extra is accurate or not but it is entirely possible that the week of Thanksgiving will have more people on board just as Christmas, New Years and many March break weeks. Those weeks tend to have a lot more families on board that are sailing with 4 to a cabin.

When they say sailing full that refers to sailing at double occupancy while max occupancy is quite a bit more, 5400 pax at double vs 6296 at max.

Sailing at 105% of capacity would mean sailing with an extra 270 pax above double occupancy or 5670 pax, still well below maximum capacity of almost 6300.

We sail exclusively at March break and Christmas and have seen on bridge tours and from announcements at C&A parties that our sailings have been at max capacity.

That being said we have still found that most of the time the Oasis class ships do feel less crowded than the Freedom class ships.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

For those who have sailed Allure out of P.E. Is there a better time to arrive at the pier? we are expecting average size crowds in early Nov. So, i'm not to concerned about that.

We are staying at the Embassy Suites 17th St. so we will be very close. Just looking for some good first hand advice on arrival at the pier.:D

WE also arrive 1025-1030.

I have no idea whether or not the 600+ passengers extra is accurate or not but it is entirely possible that the week of Thanksgiving will have more people on board just as Christmas, New Years and many March break weeks. Those weeks tend to have a lot more families on board that are sailing with 4 to a cabin.

When they say sailing full that refers to sailing at double occupancy while max occupancy is quite a bit more, 5400 pax at double vs 6296 at max.

Sailing at 105% of capacity would mean sailing with an extra 270 pax above double occupancy or 5670 pax, still well below maximum capacity of almost 6300.

We sail exclusively at March break and Christmas and have seen on bridge tours and from announcements at C&A parties that our sailings have been at max capacity.

That being said we have still found that most of the time the Oasis class ships do feel less crowded than the Freedom class ships.

Correct explanation of sailing full - basically each stateroom occupied. And the maximum passenger limit is that which is determined by maximum lifeboat capacity.

I guess when I used the term "sailing full" it was to describe our times - at least on Oasis class ships - when the count was reported closer to the 6296 you reference. :D

Where are you getting this information from?

If you must know. A relative works for Florida Stevedoring inc.

She is in dockside dispatch operations. She receives a passenger hard count for every passenger ship that home ports in either PE or POM.

Based on expected ship capacity for any given day, she will have the appropriate amount of dockside workers porters, fork lift operations, sanitation etc..dispatched to expedite debarked/embark turn around.

So, the more pax, the greater # of workers will be assigned.

Thanksgiving week being one of those weeks.

That's where I got my info from. And no, she has never taken a cruise. She works in an office. And has nothing to do with that actual cruise terminal operations.

Any other questions?

Edited by drumtech77

11am is fine for us.

If you must know. A relative works for Florida Stevedoring inc.

She is in dockside dispatch operations. She receives a passenger hard count for every passenger ship that home ports in either PE or POM.

Based on expected ship capacity for any given day, she will have the appropriate amount of dockside workers porters, fork lift operations, sanitation etc..dispatched to expedite debarked/embark turn around.

So, the more pax, the greater # of workers will be assigned.

Thanksgiving week being one of those weeks.

That's where I got my info from. And no, she has never taken a cruise. She works in an office. And has nothing to do with that actual cruise terminal operations.

Any other questions?

There is no hard count available yet for those cruises. She can give you projected numbers based on historical data but nothing more. The three weeks prior to Thanksgiving are all on the Going, Going, Gone sale which will tempt locals since $749 for a D4 is a great price for that ship.

As far as you original question, we arrived just before 10:30 and there were no lines at check in. We were slightly delayed boarding because they couldn't find the last few people on the ship from the previous cruise, so they were delayed getting to a zero passenger count. The back to back cruisers didn't come off the ship until after 11am, one was doing a live review so we were getting play by play. Even with that delay, we boarded at 11:15.

We usually sail in November and always arrive around noon-1pm. We walk right on. There are no security lines and no waiting in line to check-in plus our cabin is ready. Our luggage arrives within minutes, too. I know a lot of people want to arrive early and then sit in the terminal until they can board the ship, but we enjoy a leisurely breakfast and a later arrival at the pier. I am not one to sit in a terminal or wait in a long line to board so our way works best for us.

There is no hard count available yet for those cruises. She can give you projected numbers based on historical data but nothing more. The three weeks prior to Thanksgiving are all on the Going, Going, Gone sale which will tempt locals since $749 for a D4 is a great price for that ship.

As far as you original question, we arrived just before 10:30 and there were no lines at check in. We were slightly delayed boarding because they couldn't find the last few people on the ship from the previous cruise, so they were delayed getting to a zero passenger count. The back to back cruisers didn't come off the ship until after 11am, one was doing a live review so we were getting play by play. Even with that delay, we boarded at 11:15.

I should have elaborated on my post. Of course there is no hard count this far out. It was simply a regurgitation of what I was told. Basically, Summer & holiday weeks always require additional personnel. My phrasing may have been misleading.