Maasdam Questions

debut

We're currently onboard, and our first impressions are that it appears well kept up. Our inside stateroom is larger than our on the Koningsdam. We're enjoying a Pinnacle Grill dinner as we sail up to Vancouver before heading downunder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're currently onboard, and our first impressions are that it appears well kept up. Our inside stateroom is larger than our on the Koningsdam. We're enjoying a Pinnacle Grill dinner as we sail up to Vancouver before heading downunder.

Are you planning to do a review?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

I've got a blog going over in the HAL thread: Timmer2016Downunder plus a personal blog at http://www.timmer2016downunder.blogspot.com. More details are there.

Also, ask any specific questions about the things that interest you.

Would love to know if you've had any heating or cooling issues? and does the BB King blues band play on board there.

Great pictures and information!

I would like to add some questions regarding the Maasdam, please:

What kind of evening entertainment is offered now?

Before dinner? After the late show?

Is there still a band playing in the oceans bar? Until when?

Music in the crows nest? Pianist? DJ? Until when?

String quartett?

Other live music?

How many people still dress up on these "gala" nights, i.e. tuxedos resp. gowns?

Sorry for this late response, but my sister did finally scan our "On Location" guides for our 14-day Alaska cruise on the Maasdam. You will find a schedule and information for all the musical entertainment.

https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/

For esimon above: The BB King Blues Band does not play on the Maasdam. I believe they're only on the Vista, Signature, and Pinnacle class ships, not the Prinsendam, R and S class ships (Maasdam belongs to the S class).

Would love to know if you've had any heating or cooling issues? and does the BB King blues band play on board there.

There have been no heating or cooling issues fir us so far. We are on Deck 5 in the aft of the ship.

There's a book exchange area in the library and a very big library.

There's no BB King type venue. Just the Ocean Var, Van the Piano man, and pre-recorded music in the Criw's Best.

The Maasdam is winning our hearts as a favorite ship in the HAL fleet!

Edited by Btimmer

For esimon above: The BB King Blues Band does not play on the Maasdam. I believe they're only on the Vista, Signature, and Pinnacle class ships, not the Prinsendam, R and S class ships (Maasdam belongs to the S class).

There's BB King on Rotterdam, but I think it's the only R class. On Rotterdam they play in the Crow's Nest. I'm happy they're not on Maasdam since they're way too loud for me to enjoy.

Thank you very much for all the information.

I had hoped for some later music and bar life ...

If the programs give any more details, I will appreciate the input.

Looks like most people enjoyed theor Maasdam cruises.

Hope you have as wonderful a cruise aboard the Maasdam as we did!

Edited by TheSecondSister

In all cabin bathrooms, HAL p rovides, Elemis, body wash in dispensers on the shower wall. Elemis shampoo also in shower dispenser, hair conditioner, small individual containers of body moisturizer. There are showers caps, and bar of soap. If you use up the products in the shower dispensers, your steward will replneish as needed.

Edited by sail7seas

Been off the CC board for a couple months suffering from post-cruise I'd really rather be back on the Maasdam than doing whatever I'm doing right now depression. Happy to say that my mother and I have booked another Maasdam cruise, same cabin even, for 2018 (way too far away but alas) so now I have a big trip to look forward to again. Anyway, just wanted to echo everyone's wonderful comments about the ship for those who haven't sailed her yet. Nice size, enough to do without being overwhelming, plenty of places to hang out in peace and quiet and read or just stare at the sea, great crew and service, and wonderful vistas from the open sky deck or from the crow's nest if you like a comfy chair and no breeze. Next cruise I will spend more time on the promenade, which I spent far too little time strolling on last time. I hope you all enjoy Maasdam as much as I did!

• 1 year later...

We are a couple of ballroom dancers thinking about taking the Maasdam 28 days from Papeete to Auckland in November. Wondering if there’ll be opportunities for us to dance foxtrot, waltz, west coast swing, cha cha, salsa...

• 2 months later...
A query please regarding an oceanview cabin which sleeps four ( there will only be 2 of us)

The legend says 1 upper berth.

Will that berth be protruding from the wall when folded up, or will it recess unobtrusively into the ceiling ?

Thanks.

The berth will fold into the wall, and protrude about 4", maybe a couple more (I never measured).