Carnival changed my stateroom

Lollipop's Mom

I paid a bit more to handpick a room I loved on the lido deck. I loved the idea of being on lido. Handy to everything. I just noticed on my reservation we have been changed to deck 11. Same room basically but one deck up. I loved my room I picked for being close to laundry too, as we are continuing on for a week after the cruise in Orlando. We light to pack light too and bring across from laundry was very handy for me. Can I get my old room back or am I out of luck?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

you need to call and find out why they did this. were you in a handicap room? a room for 4 but there was 3 of you? do you use a TA or book direct?

you need to call them to understand the reason. if there is no reason, then you should argue the heck out of it

unfortunately if your room is gone, they probably cant do much for you to switch you back but they might compensate you IF it was a mistake or there was no reason

I used a TA and there were 3 rooms I was happy with getting any of the 3. I got one of them. It was not an adjoining room. There are 2 of us in the room.

what room and what ship? if its a room that holds 3 or 4 , they could move you and thats the fault of your TA.

Sounds like the 2 of you are in a stateroom that sleeps 3 or more. Carnival will bump you to another room if they have the amount of guests needing a room that's not booked to capacity. We are in a stateroom that sleeps 4 and there are only 3 of us. We know that since the room sleeps more people that what we have traveling with us, they can and will bump us if they need that room.

What room and ship are you in/on?

As mentioned, they may move you to what they consider to be a better room to cram more people into a room that CAN hold more.

If where they are moving you to is actually making the value TO YOU less, give them a call, and they may move you somewhere else. But, moving you back to your original room is probably not one of the options.

It does stink that you are charged more to pick room specific, and then not get room specific. Explore that angle also. BE PREPARED to tell them exactly what you expect. And if not satisfied the first time, have your TA keep calling until you are.

I would not be so quick to assume that Carnival changed your room. Since you booked with a TA, that could be the source of the change. Since TA's usually get a block of rooms, they have control of that block until they release them back to Carnival when they determine they are not going to sell. While they gave you a room for more people when you booked, they may have reached a point is their sales that they needed those extra spaces for a party that needed that sized room. It will probably do you no good to call Carnival since they will tell you that you need to talk to the TA since he/she has control of those rooms.

As mentioned, they may move you to what they consider to be a better room to cram more people into a room that CAN hold more.

If where they are moving you to is actually making the value TO YOU less, give them a call, and they may move you somewhere else. But, moving you back to your original room is probably not one of the options.

It does stink that you are charged more to pick room specific, and then not get room specific. Explore that angle also. BE PREPARED to tell them exactly what you expect. And if not satisfied the first time, have your TA keep calling until you are.

Cram....really? Op, if you were in a sleep 3 and you have two, Carnival can move you at their prerogative (this is not cramming by any normal interpretation). If you booked through a TA, they would have known this at time of booking. Without knowing the specifics, you don't have much of a chance to get your original room back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I used a TA and there were 3 rooms I was happy with getting any of the 3. I got one of them. It was not an adjoining room. There are 2 of us in the room.

The TA should have informed you. You've indicated on an old post you are going on Magic, is this the ship in question? If so, I read laundry room is near 10264 and some cabins are for 4 in that area.

Can I get my old room back or am I out of luck?

99% likely you will not be getting the old room back. If your TA is someone you use a lot, and you explain your tangible reason for wanting that room, perhaps they will throw something in, like one laundry service. As far as Carnival, it is done.

Since TA's usually get a block of rooms, they have control of that block until they release them back to Carnival when they determine they are not going to sell. While they gave you a room for more people when you booked....

TA's don't hold blocks of specific rooms. They hold the "right to to reserve" a certain number of double occupancy rooms on a ship within a category at a locked in price up until the time that space is recalled (usually 150 days prior to sailing). For example a TA may have 4 8D Balconies and 4 8F balconies. No specific room numbers are assigned until the TA's customer puts down a deposit.

Cruise lines don't allow for Triple or Quad occupancy cabins to be counted in the above example so in the OP's case, it's doubtful the TA booked the customer into any cabins being held as a block.

This happened to us last year.

In this case we had booked a specific cabin that we've stayed in many times using our PVP.

About a month before the cruise I was printing out my paperwork and I noticed that they had moved me from an interior deck 6 midship to an interior deck 8 midship under the buffet galley.

I called my PVP and she didn't know anything about it and obviously we didn't either. There was no way I was going to keep that cabin. There were no interior cabins on deck 6 and on deck 8 there weren't any desirable cabins.

Nobody but the Diamond desk or our PVP are suppose to make any changes to our booking. I remained calm throughout the negotiations and reluctantly agreed to the new location, but I wasn't happy and would be writing a letter of complaint.

I got a call from our PVP about an hour later and was offered a new cabin on deck 6 but it was on the starboard side which I don't care for. Lori asked me to look on the deck plans to see if it could possible work.

Well, it worked alright, it was a Balcony cabin for no extra money. It pays to remain calm when things get screwed up and to understand that mistakes happen. Lori didn't need to go the extra step to contact a supervisor. I had already agreed to the new cabin. I appreciate her efforts and included my compliments to her when I wrote to Carnival.

I paid a bit more to handpick a room I loved on the lido deck. I loved the idea of being on lido. Handy to everything. I just noticed on my reservation we have been changed to deck 11. Same room basically but one deck up. I loved my room I picked for being close to laundry too' date=' as we are continuing on for a week after the cruise in Orlando. We light to pack light too and bring across from laundry was very handy for me. Can I get my old room back or am I out of luck?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote

Carnival has a nasty habit of moving an party out of one room to a less desirable room, and claiming it is an upgrade. They tried it with us several years ago... Didn't work. If they make a change it should be a clear upgrade and only with your permission.

Carnival has a nasty habit of moving an party out of one room to a less desirable room, and claiming it is an upgrade. They tried it with us several years ago... Didn't work. If they make a change it should be a clear upgrade and only with your permission.

if you book a room that holds more passengers than your booking , they can change your room without your permission and there is nothing you can do about it. its in the documents you agree to

Edited by hftmrock

Thanks everyone. I am going to call carnival and see what can be done. I will let you know what happens

Call whoever you booked with and don't take no for an answer. If you wanted to be placed nilly willy you'd have gotten a cheaper rate booking a guarantee. you paid a premium to select a particular room and location. If Carnival will not give back the room you should be asking for OBC.

This happened to me last cruise. They moved me and didn't tell me. I just so happened to be looking at my info online and saw I had a totally different cabin. Called my PVP he didn't know either. Looked at the notes, a block of cabins including mine were scheduled for engineering (maintenance). The cabin they gave me was totally unacceptable to me even though it was an "upgrade". I had the option of switching to pretty much any other inside cabin I wanted and I did. Still wasn't happy but, whatever. The night before my cruise I was in the hotel and looked on Carnival.com and saw my old cabin was open. Called and switched back.

Bottom line is no matter what some posters tell you, in some cases you can kick and scream all you want and demand they put you back, but it might not be possible. I got lucky that they must have gotten the issue taken care of before my cruise.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Call whoever you booked with and don't take no for an answer. If you wanted to be placed nilly willy you'd have gotten a cheaper rate booking a guarantee. you paid a premium to select a particular room and location. If Carnival will not give back the room you should be asking for OBC.

(g) Specific stateroom assignments are not guaranteed. Carnival reserves the right to move Guests to a comparable stateroom for any reason, including but not limited to, instances in which the stateroom is booked with fewer than the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate; or when a partial Guest cancellation occurs and the remaining number of Guests do not match the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx

(g) Specific stateroom assignments are not guaranteed. Carnival reserves the right to move Guests to a comparable stateroom for any reason, including but not limited to, instances in which the stateroom is booked with fewer than the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate; or when a partial Guest cancellation occurs and the remaining number of Guests do not match the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx

Yes I know that. What has it got to do with my post? I never said Carnival can't move them. I said ask for the room back or to ask for OBC, and don't take no for an answer on that. I didn't say throw a fit or be nasty. I said don't accept the short end of the deal. I ALWAYS advocate for the consumer in these situations. If OP can't get the original room I hope they get a nice chunk of OBC.

Yes I know that. What has it got to do with my post? I never said Carnival can't move them. I said ask for the room back or to ask for OBC, and don't take no for an answer on that. I didn't say throw a fit or be nasty. I said don't accept the short end of the deal. I ALWAYS advocate for the consumer in these situations. If OP can't get the original room I hope they get a nice chunk of OBC.

ok, this is true... you can be nice and you can ask for an upgrade or OBC... this is absolutely true and you can not take no for an answer... but they dont have to do anything and more than likely wont. so if you dont take no for an answer and they are not obligated to do anything for you...then what?

ok, this is true... you can be nice and you can ask for an upgrade or OBC... this is absolutely true and you can not take no for an answer... but they dont have to do anything and more than likely wont. so if you dont take no for an answer and they are not obligated to do anything for you...then what?

That's exactly right. I was not given any OBC (and I did ask). The fact that they gave me an "upgrade" from a 4A to a 4E in their minds was enough I guess. The new cabin sucked IMHO and I didn't want it. Just because Carnival considers it a better cabin doesn't mean I do.

I chose a 4B which was more to my liking, but if there wouldn't have been any other cabins open or I didn't happen to check my booking and just showed up then what? I don't get on the ship? And what if the ship was sold out and there wasn't a single cabin I could have moved to?

Edited by firemanbobswife