Carry on luggage.

rovermanv8

Is it allowed to carry your luggage on to the ships? We are booked onto Oasis next year.

One of our bags was lost disembarking Brilliance in Barcelona last Friday. I know you can carry it off but wondered about carrying it on too as we spoke to people that had their luggage lost boarding.

Is it allowed to carry your luggage on to the ships? We are booked onto Oasis next year.

One of our bags was lost disembarking Brilliance in Barcelona last Friday. I know you can carry it off but wondered about carrying it on too as we spoke to people that had their luggage lost boarding.

Yes as long as it fits through the scanner. (Similar to the airport)

If it doesn't fit you'll need to check it in.

If they are "carry on" size you can carry them on board. We travel with a 22" roller board suitcase each and a shoulder bag each and always keep them with us. Get to the cabin, unpack in 10" and off to the fun. We also accept that we will clean some laundry during the cruise - still would rather pack and carry less. This was a lesson we learned after a family Alaska cruise where one bag caught up on day 5 and the other awaited us back in Vancouver (airline issue, not cruise line). We had cross packed so had essentials in the two bags that did make it so we could manage for the week.

Our Liberty cruise next July isn't a problem, we will both take a carry on so we don't have any checked luggage, now if I can figure out how to do the same for our 15 day TA out of Copenhagen next August. With a flight connection in Ryjkavik, I would love to not have to check in a piece of luggage on the flight. If Shelley did a 26" then I should be able to do a 25".

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Our Liberty cruise next July isn't a problem, we will both take a carry on so we don't have any checked luggage, now if I can figure out how to do the same for our 15 day TA out of Copenhagen next August. With a flight connection in Ryjkavik, I would love to not have to check in a piece of luggage on the flight. If Shelley did a 26" then I should be able to do a 25".

We did it for the 16 day crossing this year, which included 9 days on land pre-cruise:). We had laundry done twice on land, did some handwashing every few days and used the ship's laundry service a few times (wash & fold plus some paid items, all for under $100).

But no airline allows a 25" or 26" bag as carryon. I've seen people with bags that seem that large, but 22" is the largest dimension I've seen.

OP, we've carried our luggage (22" bags) on to every cruise in the past couple of years. I've seen the larger bags go through as well. If they don't fit in through the scanner, they may or may not give you the option of having them hand searched - they did years ago, but they may have stopped.

I recently did some research that on what sizes would fit through a scanner. What I found is that a scanner can accommodate a width of 24 inches and a depth of 16 inches, the length does not matter. I have seen someone in front of me put through a large bag - like a 28 or 29 inch. That's the dimensions I am planning to carry on for upcoming Harmony Transatlantic. Yes, I know that I cannot carry it on the airplane. But our check in time is 12:30 - 1:00 so we are heading to the cabin and unpacking as soon as we board.

Yes you can carry your luggage on to the ship. My son's luggage that was checked-in during our flight fit into the port terminal scanner. I just don't know its size but a lot bigger than our carry-on bag.

Jean, I know the 25 " wouldn't qualify as a carry on and wish I could have gotten the Non stop to CPH but their prices jumped greatly so went with the 1 stop in Reyjkavik. If I didn't need a jacket and heavier clothes for Iceland I probably could do it.

Gay

Carry the jacket on and pack things that can layer. put a scarf and gloves into the pockets of your coat to save space in your bag as well.

Jean, I know the 25 " wouldn't qualify as a carry on and wish I could have gotten the Non stop to CPH but their prices jumped greatly so went with the 1 stop in Reyjkavik. If I didn't need a jacket and heavier clothes for Iceland I probably could do it.

Gay

Are you leaving the airport in Iceland? Sounds like you just have a plane change. If so, why pack for Iceland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you leaving the airport in Iceland? Sounds like you just have a plane change. If so, why pack for Iceland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking she was taking advantage to the free long layover option there, but if they are just passing through, I agree, no need for anything special for a climate controlled airport.

Molly, we have a change in Reyjkavik ( 2.5 hr L/O ) I am planning on layering so sweathers, sweatshirt, jacket will be among the clothes packed. We fly unto Copenhagen for 2 1/2 days before the cruise. ports: Oslo, Kristiansand, Reyjkavik overnight then Akureyri until 10 PM before the crossing to Halifax, ending in Boston. I would have booked the non stop out of Boston but prices jumped significantly. I am pretty sure I can get everything I need in the 25" and i use the 22" for packing a 3 to 4 day supply of clothes in case the main one goes missing. I actually could have gone the whole 15 days on our Quebec/NE cruise last Oct with the carry on as I had the majority of my clothes in it. This included 2 days in NYC pre cruise so it can be done. Before we leave on the trip I will check temps in Copenhagen so may only need the jacket upon landing.

If they are "carry on" size you can carry them on board.

As others have said....as long as it fits through the scanner you can carry it on......doesn't have to be "carry on" size. We each have a 25" suitcase and have carried it on at many ports both domestic and international. Will be boarding Brilliance next week and plan to bring them on in Barcelona. Love being able to unpack and not have to wait for luggage.

I noticed your location, and realize there's a difference in experiences of temperatures that might be going on. For me, the August temperatures in Iceland, Oslo, Copenhagen aren't much different than a *normal* summer in the Seattle area (not that it's been normal the last few years), so I wouldn't think of packing overly warm clothes for it.

But remember that you aren't limited to one bag brought onto the ship, so if you have more than one checked bag available for your flight, you could use more than one bag and just take them onboard the cruise with you. You just have to schlep 'em! :)

I handled Quebec very well last Oct with a jacket, and sweatshirt and levies and arrival day was 40 degrees. Our coldest port was Sydney Cape Breton so as long as I have the same with a hood, not worried. Temps call for 50's but with wind naturally it feels colder.Since we don't experience temps during the day below 55 mostly 60-65, I am not buying winter clothes that we will rarely experience again so plan on layers as we did for Quebec and the Canada ports. We will each have our carry on and a bag each.

Heck Molly we think anything below 70 here is cold.:D