Review of Grill on Quest

JPH814

If you have the CC Forums app on your mobile device it is very easy. When you start to type a reply to a post you will see a grey circle with a plus sign inning to the left of that space. If you tap it it will put your reply in a box with a blue header. At the bottom are three icons -- tap the middle one and that will allow you to select a photo from your camera roll. Thank you for posting the menu !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is very helpful. I mostly post on CC using a laptop and have never included any pics because it's been a pain to do so. Now I've read your post and see how easy it is with a mobile device I'll get the app and use my iPad whenever I'm on a cruise and have pics to post.

Thank you!

And yes, SKP946 I'd really like to see the menu too.Thanks!

Thanks Chairsin for your help (I had to upgrade my operating system before I could download the app) these photos of the two pages of the menu were taken on my iPhone in rather dim light5d41251f220ff731fbce4c21a6574b35.jpg952a3a51eb89ade2e64b7467cdc4af1c.jpg

RE: TK Menu.(See my Previous Post)

NB: On our recent 32 cruise on Quest from Dover (UK ) to Boston we ate in the TK Grill 3 times, the menu stayed the same except for the "Dailies"

I have photos of some of the food served if anyone is interested.

I look forward to trying it in a couple of months as well. But where is the famous fried chicken? My understanding was they were installing special fryers when they redid the kitchen just so they could offer it. Oh, well, I do enjoy beautifully roasted chicken.

I just returned from 10 days on the Quest. I am happy to report that in generally, I found the food on this cruise to be better than on my last couple of cruises. As to the TK Grill specifically, I found the look much nicer than Restaurant 2. The menu was reminiscent of a 60's or 70's steakhouse. I found the food quality to be fine, but not anything better than in the main restaurant. What I had a problem with was the attitude. My sister, who is a pescatarian, mentioned that she was thinking about the sole or the eggplant. The waitress told her to get the sole and the eggplant as a side dish. My sister said that was too much food and ordered the eggplant. They brought the sole anyway and tried to push it on her. She sent it back. A waste of of food and not listening to the customer. They also kept pushing the chicken for 2. I shared it with my brother-in-law because he loves chicken. It was quite good, but not necessarily my first choice if not for the hard sell. Also, they present the whole bird to you, surrounded by roasted vegetables, before serving it on the plates, but it is served without the beautiful vegetables. A bit too showy. Lastly, and most importantly, was the big upsell on the wine. We ordered a bottle of red off of the reserve list, but not one of the one or two they were recommending - which were on the very expensive side. We are wine drinkers and have a large cellar so we know what we are ordering. The wine waiter acted as if we were unworthy because we did not take his recommendation. We also asked to start with one of the house whites. The waiter again acted again like this was not up to the level of the restaurant and tried to get us to purchase a reserve white or champagne also, which we declined to do. My husband was so put off by the service, he said he would never try the Grill again, and we did not for the rest of the cruise. However, by the end of the cruise, he agreed that he should at least give it another try on a future cruise. Perhaps it was just one bad waiter or two.

And yes, there is still the family style Thomas Keller in the Colonnade and the TK menu every other night in the main dining room. We did not try the family style in the Colonnade but we did try some of the dished off of the TK menu in the main dining room and found them to be very good.

I am rather sad to read this last report. We have occasionally ordered paid-for wines at dinner, but have never ever had the suggestion made that we should. To me it is very not Seabourn.

No doubt the whole TK input has cost a fortune, but I really do not like this situation, especially as the dishes on the menu, however beautifully done with super quality ingredients are, let's face it, nothing out of the ordinary - prawn cocktail, roast chicken, etc.

I would simply tell the waiter to back off and that I will order whatever wine I like, not what he likes. And a word to the maitre d' would certainly curtail that kind of behavior in the future. These are the kinds of things that should be dealt with immediately on site instead of waiting to complain about later. jmo.

We recently returned from the Quest (Boston to Montreal). This was our third Seabourn cruise in the last 2 years. In general, we have found the food good but have not found the Thomas Keller dishes to be any better than other dishes in the restaurant. On this last cruise we ate at the Grill one evening with two other couples as we were celebrating the anniversary of one couple. We found the service almost too much. Everything was a show. The Ceasar salad and ice cream sundaes were a production and were nothing special. We did not feel pressured to order special wines and just ordered the wines we had enjoyed in other areas of the ship. The quality of the food was mixed. Among the six of us at our table we ordered the steak, lobster thermidor, chicken for two, and lamb for two. The only dish that was a disappointment was the lamb. There was more fat than meat and we had better lamb in other restaurants on the ship. The coconut cake was the best of the desserts we tried. The Meyer lemon tart was nothing special. Overall, the food was not worth the hype. One nice treat was champagne to toast our friends celebrating their anniversary. We really preferred the tasting menu at Restaurant 2 on our first two cruises.

We recently returned from the Quest (Boston to Montreal). This was our third Seabourn cruise in the last 2 years. In general, we have found the food good but have not found the Thomas Keller dishes to be any better than other dishes in the restaurant. On this last cruise we ate at the Grill one evening with two other couples as we were celebrating the anniversary of one couple. We found the service almost too much. Everything was a show. The Ceasar salad and ice cream sundaes were a production and were nothing special. We did not feel pressured to order special wines and just ordered the wines we had enjoyed in other areas of the ship. The quality of the food was mixed. Among the six of us at our table we ordered the steak, lobster thermidor, chicken for two, and lamb for two. The only dish that was a disappointment was the lamb. There was more fat than meat and we had better lamb in other restaurants on the ship. The coconut cake was the best of the desserts we tried. The Meyer lemon tart was nothing special. Overall, the food was not worth the hype. One nice treat was champagne to toast our friends celebrating their anniversary. We really preferred the tasting menu at Restaurant 2 on our first two cruises.

DH and I had similar opinions in July on the Quest about the too fatty lamb in the Grill and the "show", plus we hated the pulsating overhead music, made the Grill loud. I definitely preferred the old R2. However, as far as the wine went, we ordered an atypical wine off the special list in the Grill with no arguments and there was perfect wine service, but at Ad Hoc night when we ordered right at the beginning there was a big delay getting our wine ( big delays were also typical with special wines at other Colonnade dinners, we are not VIPs, so I just started factoring them into expectations so it was not the end of the world). We had to give the waiter reminders to bring our wine while he ran around offering refills on the generic pours of the day to the other guests and doing other things, it was sad he was too overworked to keep up even though we were the first guests. But on our next Quest trip we will try again, I understand sometimes there can just be off nights. We did give detailed feedback in our online SB review.