Cruising in 2 months - Travel Agent MIA - Advice Please!

SeeUsCruise

Hi! Since we had a group of us from our family for 4 rooms, we decided to book with a travel agent to help coordinate everything for us as a group (we normally book through Costco, but went with a smaller one based off of someone's recommendation). They have been a nightmare, not responding to emails or phone calls unless I send more than 1, telling us to call RCI to make changes and then RCI tells us that has to be done by our Agent, etc.

After not getting an answer for a few days about us moving recently, I looked and found that their website and Facebook pages are shut down. I called RCI and they said they would attempt to contact them separately, but couldn't do much else at this point since we are supposed to be working with our travel agent to do everything...how can I do that if they are no longer in business?

We booked this 10th anniversary cruise with our family over 1.5 years ago and JUST paid the balance. We were supposed to receive a large onboard credit from the agency, but I'm afraid that us, and all our family, are out of luck...do you think that's the case? What if they did shut down? Is there any way to get the onboard credit we were promised?

I'm so upset. :(

You should forget the OBC right now and first be concerned that your final payment made it to RCL. Did you pay by credit card? Is the charge on your statement to Royal Caribbean, or is it to the TA? If its a charge to the TA, you need to find out if they actually PAID your final balance to RCL...or you might not have a reservation.

Hi! Since we had a group of us from our family for 4 rooms, we decided to book with a travel agent to help coordinate everything for us as a group (we normally book through Costco, but went with a smaller one based off of someone's recommendation). They have been a nightmare, not responding to emails or phone calls unless I send more than 1, telling us to call RCI to make changes and then RCI tells us that has to be done by our Agent, etc.

After not getting an answer for a few days about us moving recently, I looked and found that their website and Facebook pages are shut down. I called RCI and they said they would attempt to contact them separately, but couldn't do much else at this point since we are supposed to be working with our travel agent to do everything...how can I do that if they are no longer in business?

We booked this 10th anniversary cruise with our family over 1.5 years ago and JUST paid the balance. We were supposed to receive a large onboard credit from the agency, but I'm afraid that us, and all our family, are out of luck...do you think that's the case? What if they did shut down? Is there any way to get the onboard credit we were promised?

I'm so upset. :(

I guess you have to confirm with RCCL the status of your booking, including payments made by your TA, if any. If RCCL records indicate it is fully paid, then forget about your TA's promised OBC and drop your TA. If no payments made on your booking, time to gather all documented communications with your TA and refer to lawyer.

Yes, call Royal to ensure they received your payment. Look at your card activity to see who processed the charge. Hopefully it is Royal Caribbean and not the travel agency with whom you booked. If it is the agency, well, you need an attorney.

While on the phone with Royal ask to have the cruise released to you. OBC is just something from an agent but what is most important here is that you actually have your cruise.

Good luck. The vast majority of agents are honest and book and pay the supplier, so I hope that is your situation.

We have a paid invoice from Royal Caribbean, so we are ok there. While I am glad we have the cruise, I'm still frustrated at the potential loss of our $360 OBC, as well as the $100-200 per room for the 3 other rooms for our family. Thanks for all the replies so far.

I would still as advised, call Royal and verify your cruise is paid in full. I use our local TA and she or an associate will call the cruise line to authorize them to charge to our credit card. A friend of ours who had used a TA for a number of years suddenly charged the couples credit card back to her company but never sent the money to RCCL. They learned of this two months before flying out to CA for their 15 day RT Hawaii when she attempted to print out their set sail pass. RCCL worked with them and got the TA to hot wire the deposit and final payment within 24 hrs since their Reservation had been cancelled. RCCL held their room and didn't release it back for sale. Our friends went on their cruise.

We have a paid invoice from Royal Caribbean, so we are ok there. While I am glad we have the cruise, I'm still frustrated at the potential loss of our $360 OBC, as well as the $100-200 per room for the 3 other rooms for our family. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Do you have an invoice from the TA showing the OBC they promised you? Not sure how you got an invoice from RCI showing you're paid when you booked through a TA but glad you have it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

While on the phone with Royal ask to have the cruise released to you. OBC is just something from an agent but what is most important here is that you actually have your cruise.

+1. Forget the TA - get the booking back to RCI. Not only will it save you further hassles, it may help others as well.

To repeat what others have said, contact RCI and verify that your reservations are still in their system, and explain the situation and have them take over your booking.

We had a horrible experience with a TA many years ago that left us, literally, out in the cold, and when we talked with RCI, they explained to us that they actually have policies in place for situations regarding TAs that "disappear." We had to be patient while RCI followed their protocols, and in the end, they came through for us, and they took very good care of us.

I know the vast majority of TAs are honest and hardworking professionals who bend over backwards for their clients.

Good luck with your situation, and let us know how it turns out.

You need to send your TA (and their supervisor if you know who it is) an email, and/or a certified letter that says: "Immediate Reply Requested" in the subject line. Then tell your TA you are fearful about the lack of contact from them and closed FB pages.... and as a result you will be asking RCCL to release your agent of record on X date unless you hear otherwise. This should prompt a reply.... because if you fire them, RCCL will go and take back the commission from their bank account. Meaning - if you aren't going to get OBC, they aren't getting paid either.

It's possible they aren't gone.... just changed host agencies, or changed names and the transition was stressful. But at this point I'd anticipate no OBC, and just consider it a surprise if they delivered on it.

I'm so sorry for your situation. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

See if they'll let you transfer your booking to another agency.

I've found with many of these larger agencies, the agent is great up until you book. Once the reservation is made, you almost have to call into their general queue and just talk to whomever to make any changes.

To repeat what others have said, contact RCI and verify that your reservations are still in their system, and explain the situation and have them take over your booking.

We had a horrible experience with a TA many years ago that left us, literally, out in the cold, and when we talked with RCI, they explained to us that they actually have policies in place for situations regarding TAs that "disappear." We had to be patient while RCI followed their protocols, and in the end, they came through for us, and they took very good care of us.

I know the vast majority of TAs are honest and hardworking professionals who bend over backwards for their clients.

Good luck with your situation, and let us know how it turns out.

This is reassuring, thank you.

Do all your reservations appear under Already Booked? If not, do they appear after you type in the reservation number? Can you print out docs and luggage tags? If so, you'll be OK, but may have lost the OBC, If you find you have no reservations from doing the above, you'll need a lawyer and call your credit card co. to do some research.

Good luck! Please come back and let us know what happened!

Happy Anniversary! :)

In our friends case, their agent changed phone numbers and nobody could reach her. Our friends son saw her sitting in her office and immediately called his parents who came right down and demanded a 3 way conversation with Royal to get their room back. I don't know how many other cruisers lost their reservations due to her failure to send in their money. Do let us know how everything turns out for you.

Edited by Desert Cruizers