Guar X

wyldkarma

We have taken over a dozen or so cruises now and never booked a Guaranty X stateroom. We almost always get a balcony stateroom and have always carefully chosen our cabins. However, While checking out some prices of upcoming cruises out of Galveston (we live in TX 3hrs from the port), I noticed Royal Caribbean had a 7 nt sailing coming up in less than 30 days and they had a balcony guarantee X available for $605, the lowest price for any other balcony stateroom was $1167. I quickly grabbed that guaranteed rate since it was nearly 1/2 off all other balcony staterooms. We would never have booked that cruise, but for that cheap rate, what the heck. Usually the guar X rates are only a few bucks cheaper so this was a pleasant surprise. I will take my chances. Any day of cruising is better than sitting around the house. Will let you know how it turns out. :)

We are kinda excited, we have never sailed on the Liberty of the Seas. Just checked this evening, that cruise is now sold out. Interesting how that works. I don't have a room assignment yet and the ship is sold out. Spin that roulette wheel and lets see where I end up with a balcony guarantee. ;)

We are kinda excited, we have never sailed on the Liberty of the Seas. Just checked this evening, that cruise is now sold out. Interesting how that works. I don't have a room assignment yet and the ship is sold out. Spin that roulette wheel and lets see where I end up with a balcony guarantee. ;)

With that almost 50% pricing, it's not surprising that it is all sold out.

A week ago, for our upcoming Brilliance TA, we upgraded our well located deck 4 Cat. H OV cabin, which had been assigned to an Y Gty, to a balcony guaranty when only D1 balconies were showing available. It was about $130US total more and we lost $100 OBC.

The next day we were given one of those D1s which also wasn't in a bad location but we were able to change to another D1 that was still available and only a few cabins from the friends we are travelling with. We wouldn't have bothered changing cabins if we weren't cruising together and our cabins were quite far apart. If we had paid to select that D1 cabin it would have cost about 2300 US or 60% more than getting it with a guaranty. :D

PS-it was actually an E3 Gty we changed to but that is essential an X Gty since both can be assigned the lowest balcony category on the ship. Also our booking was in $CAD as that was to our advantage exchange wise when we booked so that is why $US figures are approximate. Another thing was even though the taxes/port fee and gratuities (these were pre-paid) had increased since we did the original booking onboard Anthem last January both stayed at the same cost as only our cruise fare increased with our paid upgrade. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

My wife and I love Cat X Guarantees ... as long as we're on the ship in a balcony cabin, all is right with the world.

Please post again when you get your formal cabin assignment, we're very curious to know where you end up!

Michael

she's beautiful especially since her recent refurb. who knows you may snag a JS!

A week ago, for our upcoming Brilliance TA, we upgraded our well located deck 4 Cat. H OV cabin, which had been assigned to an Y Gty, to a balcony guaranty when only D1 balconies were showing available. It was about $130US total more and we lost $100 OBC.

The next day we were given one of those D1s which also wasn't in a bad location but we were able to change to another D1 that was still available and only a few cabins from the friends we are travelling with. We wouldn't have bothered changing cabins if we weren't cruising together and our cabins were quite far apart. If we had paid to select that D1 cabin it would have cost about 2300 US or 60% more than getting it with a guaranty. :D

That was a great deal you got. 2300 USD can go a along way for excursions and onboard purchases.

We recently booked a Balcony GTY on the Anthem during Thanksgiving week. We paid $300 p/p less than my brother because they needed 2 cabins next to each other and had to be assigned.

We got our cabin assignment a few days later and I'm very pleased but I realize it could still change before the cruise. Either way, it will still be a balcony and we paid a good rate.

Have fun! Last minute cruises are the best.

BTW, we were on Liberty last year when it cruised out of Cape Liberty, NJ and loved that ship!

When do they typically assign the rooms on GTY bookings? The ship sold out several days ago, it sails in about 3 weeks, and still no room assignment. Seems a bit odd?

There is no "typical"

They can be assigned hours after booking, a year in advance or at the pier on boarding day.

When do they typically assign the rooms on GTY bookings? The ship sold out several days ago, it sails in about 3 weeks, and still no room assignment. Seems a bit odd?

It could be RCI has overbooked and you are one of their reserve bookings. Our Brilliance TA in 2 weeks has been sold out quite a few times over the last few months but then some categories became available every time as it is now. Currently RCI is offering an E3 and a Q guaranty and one can select a D1 balcony or an OS. I've seen and booked a guaranty on cruises showing no availability

They know that some bookings will be cancelled in spite of being in the final phase of the penalty period especially on a TA with its typically older passengers. We had friends that were suppose to be on this cruise with us but they had to cancel because of a medical issue that came up the DW.

Edited by robtulipe

The ship sold out several days ago, it sails in about 3 weeks, and still no room assignment.

It seems sold out but very likely RCI pulled all availability while they assign GTY cabins and address other inventory issues. It would be a bit unusual to not get an assignment 3 days out (the online check in limit).

We did a Guar X on Liberty for a suite in June. Not quite as good a deal as you got but still pretty good. We got a Junior Suite, as expected and were very happy with the cabin assignment.

Cat. X is a Balcony GTY

Cat. W is a Suite GTY

Would I be correct if assumed you had had a Cat. W?

It is possible (but unlikely) to get a JS with a Cat. X; theoretically it is possible to get a JS from a Cat. Z Inside GTY (I have gotten a Balcony from a Cat. Z booking - once:cool:)

I would love to take advantage of GTY rates but as soon as you put 1 traveller they disappear from options, any idea why a solo can't do guarantee?

Because the RCI IT guys hate you - call in and you should be able to get it.