New to HAL

BKLYNPONY

My wife and I are considering the Panama Canal Zuiderdam sailing (just love the itinerary). We can get the explore 4 for an additional $800 per cabin. Along with this we would get a $310 ship board credit (as opposed to $235 credit without it). So I calculated that I would subtract $75 from the $800 and then another $48 for the price of pinnacle (which we would definitely try at least once anyway). That would bring me to a price of $677. If I divide that by 2 it would be $338 a person for ten days for drinks. I figured that this would calculate to be about $34 a day per person for drinks. Which would be about 4 -5 alcohol drinks a day (not counting beverages such as coffee, soda and water). I can easily do 2 drinks at lunch, dinner and nightcap (only because I'm on a cruise). As I'm more of a drinker than my wife is I'm wondering if it is still worth it - I guess if I had to I can make up the difference by having an average of 3 drinks a meal, ;) I'm just wondering if I am calculating this correctly or am I missing something? Or is there a another discounted drink package that I'm not aware of?

Don't know about the math, but that sure seems like a lot of extra money for the Explore4 package. If you're going to drink a lot that might be worth it, that's something only you can decide. You'll love the Canal, we would like to do it again to see the new locks. I've been watching the Discovery Channel as it was been build. Any way enjoy your cruise, with or with out the package.

Allan

I believe your math is mostly correct, except for the PG amount. That is $29 per person so the total for two would be $58, not $48. (Not that it makes much difference in your calculation!)

There is no other discounted drink package. One either buys it or gets it for "free" through a promotion like Explore4. As you calculated, there often is a cost to getting it for free through Explore4.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

We had the Explore 4 package on our PC Zuiderdam cruise in 2015 and enjoyed the unlimited drink portion of the package. We never came close to the daily limit. Not knowing which cruise you are on (we did a 10 night), it may cost you close to $1020 to purchase the unlimited drink package outside of the Explore 4 (I'm sure someone else can jump in to correct this number). Given the increased OBC, the drink package, and Explore 4, I think it sounds like a reasonable deal.

We are planning to cruise in 2017 and once again added the Explore 4!

I believe your math is mostly correct, except for the PG amount. That is $29 per person so the total for two would be $58, not $48. (Not that it makes much difference in your calculation!)

There is no other discounted drink package. One either buys it or gets it for "free" through a promotion like Explore4. As you calculated, there often is a cost to getting it for free through Explore4.

We just got off the Noordam and it is occurring to me that we were charged $35.00 per person for the Pinnacle Grill. It was not LeCirque night either. I didn't think much of it at the time but now I'm wondering if that is the "new price"?

Thanks everyone for the quick reply - as I didn't mean to put everyone through a math test :) Actually the more that I think about it it's probably worth it as my alcohol consumption will most likely reflect me being in vacation mode (I just love sitting on my balcony sipping as the day goes by). Plus my wife would probably drink at least two glasses of wine at dinner or lunch and probably try different coffees. And with this package we can do so in a relaxed way (otherwise I would just be sitting there monitoring every purchase and I would be forcing her to finish that drink that she doesn't like:rolleyes:) In this way we can discover and try beverages that we normally wouldn't (i.e. I'm trying to expose her to drinks other than a margarita or a pina colada).

So my next question is for any recommendations to use that $310 OBC on:D

Thanks everyone for the quick reply - as I didn't mean to put everyone through a math test :) Actually the more that I think about it it's probably worth it as my alcohol consumption will most likely reflect me being in vacation mode (I just love sitting on my balcony sipping as the day goes by). Plus my wife would probably drink at least two glasses of wine at dinner or lunch and probably try different coffees. And with this package we can do so in a relaxed way (otherwise I would just be sitting there monitoring every purchase and I would be forcing her to finish that drink that she doesn't like:rolleyes:) In this way we can discover and try beverages that we normally wouldn't (i.e. I'm trying to expose her to drinks other than a margarita or a pina colada).

Agree- you are on a cruise so enjoy. Mimosa or bloody mary in am, couple pina colada, wine with dinner. Don't think you will lose out at your calculation of $34 daily. I drink very little in my "normal" life. Maybe cocktail or wine when go out to dinner. But on a cruise, I kind of like to splurge and enjoy 4 or 5 drinks daily probably.

On a recent cruise we had lots of credit and I used some of it for a spa massage service and we took a couple of ship excursions and the rest went for drinks as our package didn't include them. Turned out my DH had just had surgery and couldn't walk much so we took a scenic train excursion on one island that we normally wouldn't have done. Enjoyed it. I never have had a problem spending the OBC. Enjoy. We are on Zuiderdam for 11 day Panama Canal end of November and can't wait.

Jane

Here is one way to look at it: We go on HAL shore excursions because they are so darn convenient; not because we get a better deal if we did it on our own. We pay extra for the convenience.

Sounds like this approach might apply to your case too. One price and no more concerns. And your math might even work out too. Or not work out, just like our HAL shore excursions.

Like you say, it is vacation. If you find a deal on discounted calories, I am also very interested.

Sounds like a pretty good price to me. There's always the morning coffee with a shot of Baileys to start the day.

I agree about using OBC for a couple of excursions. Maybe another dinner in PG or Canaletto. You can also use it to buy some duty free liquor to take home.

Hope it isn't too hard to spend your OBC and enjoy your cruise.

There's no problem using $310 OBC since it can be applied to the daily Hotel charge.

Dan

We just got off the Noordam and it is occurring to me that we were charged $35.00 per person for the Pinnacle Grill. It was not LeCirque night either. I didn't think much of it at the time but now I'm wondering if that is the "new price"?

Oops, you're probably right. I forgot about the recent price increase.

Thanks everyone for all of the excellent ideas.

Another question albeit off topic (if I should post this elsewhere please let me know). I have an opportunity to have an aft facing balcony (one in middle - not corner wrap) although it's on deck 8. I know the lido pool is above it. I don't believe that any noise would bother us as we are both heavy sleepers (and being from nyc we are able to tune most noise out). My question is, do you think that privacy would really only be a matter when I'm at the railing? Or is the whole balcony exposed?

Kevingastreich is correct; the PG is currently $35 pp. Sorry for my error; I used the old pricing.

Kevingastreich is correct; the PG is currently $35 pp. Sorry for my error; I used the old pricing.

NP - it just adds up to $12 more reasons to do Explore 4:D

Kevin, that's exactly how I look at it - as the ability to do a tasting just as I do when I go on a wine tour:). Or maybe even as our own private excursion during sea days:D