Dress standards on Cunard, adherence to.

NSWP

Thought I would warn Aussies/Kiwis on here re adherence to dress standards on Cunard. I have been alerted to the fact elsewhere re embarkation clothing. If you embark wearing shorts, are on early sitting dinner and your bags have not arrived in your cabin by 6pm with your good gear, you will not be permitted to dine that evening in the ship's restaurants as even on informal nights it is still jacket and strides - tie optional in the MDR and most other parts of the ship, i.e. QM2.

I was also advised that wearing of shorts after 6pm in the Kings Court buffet is not permitted. A lot of Aussies/Kiwis are boarding the world cruise sectors on Cunard next year, including us on QM2, on March 2nd, hence my advice, don't want anyone to get caught out.

The dress police are very active on Cunard and they have plenty of deputies - the many Brits on board the Cunarders doing their world cruises, observing the dress standards of us 'Colonials.'

Edited by NSWP

Its quite simple really..

If you dont want to adhere to Cunards dress standards,

dont book Cunard.

Agree with that but the OP was just trying to outline issues on embarkation day if luggage is late.

Slightly related - the dress codes are out for the WC. For us, only 2 formals on a 10 night cruise with lots of sea days. Bummer.

dont book Cunard.

I agree, the Cunard dress standards do not worry us, we comply, but they might worry some.

I have been on cruises where our bags did not reach the cabin prior to dinner, Celebrity Solstice was the worst, we boarded @ 2pm and got our bags @ 9pm - pathetic.

Agree with that but the OP was just trying to outline issues on embarkation day if luggage is late.

Slightly related - the dress codes are out for the WC. For us, only 2 formals on a 10 night cruise with lots of sea days. Bummer.

Thank you, I was just alerting potential Cunarders.

Question,

If I wear my Dinner suit every night will I be out of place?

For just 5 nights not sure I want to pack it and another suit,

Sure you can wear it, many poms do, been on P&O UK 4 times inc last year, some Brits wore a bag of fruit every night.

Now Mr Gut, are you going to wear your board shorts, singlet and thongs when you embark QM2? LOL. I am waiting to see the reaction of the posh Brits on board when they see 500 Aussies coming on board dressed as they do. Now where are my Big W Stubby shorts, Lowes blue singlet and K mart thongs? I might even buy new ones for QM2 LOL.

Sure you can wear it, many poms do, been on P&O UK 4 times inc last year, some Brits wore a bag of fruit every night.

Now Mr Gut, are you going to wear your board shorts, singlet and thongs when you embark QM2? LOL. I am waiting to see the reaction of the posh Brits on board when they see 500 Aussies coming on board dressed as they do. Now where are my Big W Stubby shorts, Lowes blue singlet and K mart thongs? I might even buy new ones for QM2 LOL.

Our only formal night is also "Australian Ball" so I asked Mrs G to keep a look out for an Australian Singlet or T (flag or boxing kangaroo type thing) to wear under Ye old tux that night with a bow tie.

I could just go with a dark suit for each night, but I think Mrs Gut would like the Diner Suit at least once and we all know about happy wife.

I normally wear pants and button down to board, but never a jacket so I guess if luggage is late it will have to be a lesser experience for us first night, but I've never not had my bags in time for din dins so far.

Our only formal night is also "Australian Ball" so I asked Mrs G to keep a look out for an Australian Singlet or T (flag or boxing kangaroo type thing) to wear under Ye old tux that night with a bow tie.

I could just go with a dark suit for each night, but I think Mrs Gut would like the Diner Suit at least once and we all know about happy wife.

I normally wear pants and button down to board, but never a jacket so I guess if luggage is late it will have to be a lesser experience for us first night, but I've never not had my bags in time for din dins so far.

Mate, after many cruises, my Tuxedo 'shrank.' So it is a dark grey suit for me now. It meets with Cunard policy, so if the Pom World Cruisers...@ The Cunarders' don't like it, bad luck.

We have 4 formals, Syd-HK, you can have a couple of mine.

Mate, after many cruises, my Tuxedo 'shrank.' So it is a dark grey suit for me now. It meets with Cunard policy, so if the Pom World Cruisers...@ The Cunarders' don't like it, bad luck.

We have 4 formals, Syd-HK, you can have a couple of mine.

I know what you mean about shrinking clothes, Uncle Les, some bugger breaks into chambers and takes in my Bar Jacket every Christmas break, well it can't be the seconds (OK thirds and fourths) of Christmas Pud.

Can it:confused::confused:

I'll sure be wearing thongs around the deck.

When we were planning our wedding, about a million years ago, I used to tell Mrs Gut (as she is now) that I was going to dress dance for the big day,

Black Footy Shorts (but I promised to leave the cup and hip pads out)

Black singlet (the one with the white trim around the arm holes and neck)

And

Black thongs.

Note totally colour coordinated.

Good on the cruise line for defending their style and keeping their standards. Too many people these days book cruises expecting all cruise lines to be the same and expect cruise lines to adapt to them when they make the terrible mistake of realising a cruise line is not their style. The truth is all cruise lines are different and appeal to different demographics and social and financial classes. The hard hitting GFC forced price reductions on many lines meaning people could afford cruises on cruise ships they previously could not afford and in the ensuing years we have seen a demand for cruise lines to change style or become more casual. If people want a casual dress as you like cruise line then the answer is simple go with Carnival or Royal Caribbean. If they want something formal then go with Cunard. If they want something in between there are several other lines.

Rather than needing to wear stuff for dinner when boarding - its much simpler just to pop the appropriate clothing in your carryon bag so its already with you but you can still dress according to the weather and whatever else you were doing pre boarding.

For Cunard.

Suit or Tux.

dont book Cunard.

While I agree, I think the intent from Uncle Les is to warn people that they do enforce the dress standards so that people will not be caught short (pun intended).:D

Crickey I don't think Cunard could handle us as passengers. We did finish up in the naughty corner when we rolled up to the MDR on a formal night in casual wear on our UK Princess cruise - well they did have "surf & turf" on the menu which we couldn't resist. The maitre d handled the situation with a great deal of flair to his credit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums