port times

joe grumble

Cruisett.com also has port times. On my world cruise I emailed P&O to ask the times as I was meeting people in various ports. They emailed back with 'early morning' etc. I replied saying I needed actual times and they replied with them.

I'm a cynic and thinks it's to force us to book their excursions, no other cruise line does it the way P&O do.

Kruzseeka

We never take the expensive ship's excursions. So, we plan our ports around the times from the ones given to me by P and O or those I have found on the Port of Authority website.

We have never had a problem whether we use public transport or a local tour operator. Even armed with the time s, things happen and the ship can arrive late or be diverted to another port or cancel altogether and have another sea day. So you can only work on estimations.

I do agree with you - and we never assume timings or our plans are set in stone. We are quite prepared to be flexible but enjoy researching ports and planning what we'd like to do. It's all part of the excitement and anticipation of our cruise. If it doesn't fall into place - well we have to devise a plan B!

Some people enjoy organised tours (so do we for some excursions), some like to take it as it comes and others like to plan - cruises offer that freedom and variety which is why they suit all kinds of needs and expectations. Each to their own. I just seek to explain why more specific timings would help in our preferred approach to decide on how we spend our time on shore and am disappointed that it isn't made easily available to assist our planning. But c'est la vie - I don't suppose there will be a change of policy and it certainly won't spoil my cruise!

It has not always been that way P&O and Cunard used to publish arrival times and departure times for all their cruises the same way as Princess do now but for some reason they stopped doing it a few years back and IMO started the current format which is very vague and poor. We all know timings can change due to circumstances out of their control but doesnt stop Princess from publishing times so why cannot P&O/Cunard.

It has not always been that way P&O and Cunard used to publish arrival times and departure times for all their cruises the same way as Princess do now but for some reason they stopped doing it a few years back and IMO started the current format which is very vague and poor. We all know timings can change due to circumstances out of their control but doesnt stop Princess from publishing times so why cannot P&O/Cunard.

Interestingly I have just completed a survey from P &O today....seems to have been sent because I have recently booked a 2018 cruise.most of it was about what influenced me to book it and whether I booked through an agent, how helpful he she was etc. But One of the questions was about information given in advance, and a specific reference (cant remember the exact wording) was about whether I wanted to know times of arrival and departure from the ports of call....I marked this as important , even though , like londontowner , it doesnt actually bother me! So they are consulting their passengers, and you never know.....it just might change!

Interestingly I have just completed a survey from P &O today....seems to have been sent because I have recently booked a 2018 cruise.most of it was about what influenced me to book it and whether I booked through an agent, how helpful he she was etc. But One of the questions was about information given in advance, and a specific reference (cant remember the exact wording) was about whether I wanted to know times of arrival and departure from the ports of call....I marked this as important , even though , like londontowner , it doesnt actually bother me! So they are consulting their passengers, and you never know.....it just might change!

Good news at least they are recognising that some passengers may wish to have that information. And thank you for rating it 'important' in acknowledgment that it is for some of your fellow travellers even though it's not to you. :)

Cruisett.com also has port times. On my world cruise I emailed P&O to ask the times as I was meeting people in various ports. They emailed back with 'early morning' etc. I replied saying I needed actual times and they replied with them.

I'm a cynic and thinks it's to force us to book their excursions, no other cruise line does it the way P&O do.

Mick I agree and there's no reasonable explanation why P&O are so vague about their port times. The times are in the public arena since they are available elsewhere and other lines are up front about port times so why are P&O so vague

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

Well let us agree to disagree.

They do not post times for whatever reason, a few people complaining on a forum, will not make them start posting them again.

I think you might be surprised at how much the cruise companies take notice of how much is posted on these forums. Royal Caribbean have a certified representative on Cruise Critic who answers questions. Princess have at times had someone pop up now and again and Christopher Edginton it registered here.

Along the lines of this thread, P and O used to give approximate time brackets for their descriptions of "depart late afternoon, evening" etc. They no longer give these, at least that I can find and I don't have them any longer.

Our 2017 cruise arrives in Venice in the "early morning" and departs from Venice in the "evening". Does anyone have any experience of a rough time this may be? We hope to pre-book a gondola early evening (our interpretation of that time may be different to P and O)......but don't want to watch the ship sail past us!!

Interestingly the Cruise Agent with whom we book - not allowed to name them on here - sent me some details of a tours company giving information about tours available on a forthcoming cruise. Against each port was given the precise time of arrival and departure so assuming they are correct the information is out there.