Britannia formal night - pink dress

minsterman

We are sailing on Britannia in November on a Caribbean cruise. We have never been on P&O before - only Royal Caribbean. I believe Royal Caribbean are a bit more relaxed when it comes to the dress code.

The OH is driving me mad with talk of her pink dress and whether it will be ok for a formal night. It is a lovely dress (so I am told) and she has worn it to several weddings and the races.

However it isn't just pink, it is PINK. The dress isn't too pink (as it is a little bit patterned with some other colours in it) but the cardigan thingy (bolero?) and the shoes are PINK.

The overall effect is PINK.

Everything we have seen (photos etc) re formal night seems to be a lot more subdued - blacks, blues etc.

So - should she take the PINK outfit or get something else?

Sounds lovely!

You will have 4 formal nights on your two week cruise. One of these is 'black and white night', when the men are fine in their tux or white tux and ladies tend to wear black, white or black and white.

minsterwoman will not be barred from any venues, or keelhauled, or made to report to the captain, should she wear pink on that night. It's up to her. She will be in a smallish minority but one always sees some ladies in colours

I think "minsterwoman" was just a bit worried she might stand out. Especially since, due to luggage restrictions, I think she was planning on wearing it twice.

But if other people do wear colours then that's great.

She has some black formal wear for the black and white theme night so she wouldn't be wearing it on that night.

Looks like I might not have to go dress shopping again. Phew!

Mrs Minster can wear whatever she wants. I've seen just about every colour under the sun, including a sunshine yellow which I would never dare to wear but which looked fabulous on the lady wearing it. I've worn purple, grey, red and cornflower blue, my daughter has worn emerald green, cerise, turquoise and a sort of duck egg blue/eau de nil. Looking at all the gorgeous dresses is part of the fun of formal nights for me.

As eddie11 says, on black and white night people do tend to adhere to this, but there are always some who prefer not to (my daughter being one of them, - black doesn't suit her and my daughter, white dresses and gravies/sauces at dinner doesn't end well). The pink will be perfect for a formal night, I hope she wears it and has a wonderful time.

She'll be fine with her pink dress for one of the formal evenings. I tend to wear a glitzy top and trousers with a colourful jacket - I have a bright emerald green one, a bright pink one and a sort of burnt orange one and I wear those without any worries. Yes on the Black and White Night, which does tend to be the most formal of the formal nights aboard when there is usually an enhanced menu served in the main dining rooms - lobster, beef wellington that sort of thing - by far the majority of the women, not all, do tend to wear black and white, either a black dress or top and trousers and then have a white pashmina, or white flower or have a black and white dress. I have a cream and black jacket which I always wear on the Black and White night. So tell your wife to wear her pink dress on one of the other formal nights.

Just to let you know if you don't already, one of the evenings will probably be a Tropical Night. The men tend to wear very loud, Hawaiian type shirts, not every man but many do, particularly in the Caribbean. If you don't have one you can buy one in any of the ports you will stop at or they do sell them on board. I bought my husband's on Ebay - it was from Hawaii and has parrots all up the front of it! The women tend to wear very bright clothes on that evening. I wear a pair of white trousers with a bright pink kaftan. Sometimes you will be given leis to wear - in fact you may be presented with them when you check in to the ship in Bridgetown - if so keep them for the Tropical evening.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and tell you wife not to worry too much, she'll have a great time.

We are going on Britannia in November too. I have a long cerise formal gown, which I intend to wear twice (as so far I've only worn it once, and I love it!) I do have a long black one for B/W night. My other formal gown is very multi-coloured/rainbowy. Pink is no problem at all. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

She will be absolutely fine....as they say..." Pretty in Pink". Sometimes I wish more ladies would experiment with colour..... And until recently, when I grew out of it,...:D I had a full length plain pink....and I mean pink...evening dress which I have worn several times ( although not on black and white night..) and never once felt out of place.

Have a great time.

Don't worry; I've seen women wear every colour of the rainbow on Formal Nights and I love to watch and admire. I have one dress which is emerald green and another which is quite a bright purple and always take one of them as well as at least one black one. But as I have very long red hair I tend to stand out anyway so don't let it worry me! The pink sounds lovely!

Pink will be fine. I have worn a fuschia pink dress. A bright orange dress, purple, blue, turquoise, red as well as darker colours such as navy etc.

You can wear anything as long as it is smart.

Enjoy your cruise

Sue

Id go for it. The dress code seems to change with each cruise and weve done 4 in the past 24 months. I would think in the Caribean it will be more relaxed like a Canaries cruise? Id take something black for the black and white formal night. Black pants could be mixed in with silk tops for other nights which don't weigh much.Have a fab time its a beautiful ship.

I have worn just about every colour dress possible on formal nights over the years. I usually wear either black or navy on the black and white night but I wore royal blue on the last cruise simply because it was a new dress that I absolutely adore. Your wife should wear whatever she likes I am sure that she will look lovely.

My 21 year old daughter has unusual taste in clothes; she likes Goth and Steampunk outfits and has some very striking ones. On Arcadia in August, she was really touched when a few older passengers went out of their way to tell her that they admired her taste and confidence and looked out for her each evening to see what she would be wearing. She always looked stunning and put Mum in the shade but gosh was i proud of her poise and confidence!

I'm going to wear a pillar box red cocktail dress on one of our formal nights. I've seen gorgeous dresses of all colours worn on these evenings.

Go for it and have a lovely time!:D

As did I only to see someone else one table away in the exact same outfit [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are sailing on Britannia in November on a Caribbean cruise. We have never been on P&O before - only Royal Caribbean. I believe Royal Caribbean are a bit more relaxed when it comes to the dress code.

The OH is driving me mad with talk of her pink dress and whether it will be ok for a formal night. It is a lovely dress (so I am told) and she has worn it to several weddings and the races.

However it isn't just pink, it is PINK. The dress isn't too pink (as it is a little bit patterned with some other colours in it) but the cardigan thingy (bolero?) and the shoes are PINK.

Everything we have seen (photos etc) re formal night seems to be a lot more subdued - blacks, blues etc.

Sorry - what colour was it again ?

I'd say if she's fretting about it now, she shouldn't take it but get something else. She is clearly uncomfortable about the thought of standing out too much and it will only get worse when she's on the cruise. It doesn't matter what anybody else tells her - it's whats he thinks that matters

Edited by tartanexile81

My 21 year old daughter has unusual taste in clothes; she likes Goth and Steampunk outfits and has some very striking ones. On Arcadia in August, she was really touched when a few older passengers went out of their way to tell her that they admired her taste and confidence and looked out for her each evening to see what she would be wearing. She always looked stunning and put Mum in the shade but gosh was i proud of her poise and confidence!

It's so nice when people do that. On our last cruise my daughter (also 21) wore a full length dress for the first time (before she'd been worrying about tripping up in long dress and heels). We were making our way to seats in the theatre when a couple of people commented how nice she looked, one lady said she had the prettiest dress of the night.

Hi all - minsterwoman here.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments.

I have decided to take the pink dress. I have also just bought a lovely black and white dress for the black and white night.

Just got to get everything in the suitcase now!

• 2 months later...

Nothing wrong with pink. I have worn pink, red, emerald green and all sorts of other colour long dresses on formal nights. Cocktail length dresses are also just fine.

Have even seen someone wearing pink and on another occasion red on black and white night.

Go for it! Sounds lovely and way in keeping with the dress code. We're not all dark and dismal on P&O and I'm sure that she will look fabulous.