Australia's first Cruise Critic Awards announced!

How can you have ovation of seas as best new cruise ship for Australian awards. The ship hasn't even sailed here yet.

The whole selection of winners reads like everyone gets a prize. Very pc.

Edited by icat2000

It seemed like an after-thought. Ooooh we haven't given Princess a win. Lets invent a category.

Yes, makes one wonder what method of voting they used. All seems a bit odd to me and not a true reflection of the cruising population from Australia.:confused:

Under Princess you refer to "Exploer Class" Ocean and Tahitian Princess, well Tahitian became Ocean and was recently sold, the only one in that class now is Pacific.

And information such as this:

Princess' newest series of ships, the Royal Class, debuts in mid-June 2013 with 3,600-passenger Royal Princess. A nearly identical sibling, Regal Princess, will launch in spring 2014. Signature features of this newest ship evolution include an expanded Piazza; the first-ever SeaWalk, a cantilevered, glass-enclosed walkway; and an interactive television studio called Princess Live!.

If the links to the cruise line information are a couple of years out of date, it does question the veracity of these awards.

If any cruise line CEO's are listening, if you give me a free berth, I'll vote for you!

cheers

Stu

I would like to know who got to vote on these lines. Anyone here get asked??? I have a sneaky suspicion it was just cruising industry. If so, to me the awards are meaningless.

Hi Sarah these awards:rolleyes::rolleyes: are picked by:

The Cruise Critic Editors' Picks Awards are chosen by Cruise Critic's international team of editors, based on the lines and ships they feel best represent excellence in each of the designated categories. Awards announced October 2016.

totally agree about the Ovation receiving accolades.....hello she isn't even here yet.......and the blurb on the Princess ships is ridiculously out of date.....obviously a cut n paste job from something written years ago.....

if you want credibility as an "editor" at least make the effort to make sure the cut n paste's are current............:mad::mad:

"When it comes to the wow factor and technical wizardry, Royal Caribbean nails it. Shows range from multisensory spectacles and Tony Award-winning musicals to aerial performances in the atrium. The line's smaller Sydney-based ships have Broadway-style theatre and ice spectaculars starring professional skaters"

Not sure which one of the SMALLER ships has the ice spectacular. I'm sure the captain of the Explorer would argue that one. :p

And information such as this:

Princess' newest series of ships, the Royal Class, debuts in mid-June 2013 with 3,600-passenger Royal Princess. A nearly identical sibling, Regal Princess, will launch in spring 2014. Signature features of this newest ship evolution include an expanded Piazza; the first-ever SeaWalk, a cantilevered, glass-enclosed walkway; and an interactive television studio called Princess Live!.

If the links to the cruise line information are a couple of years out of date, it does question the veracity of these awards.

If any cruise line CEO's are listening, if you give me a free berth, I'll vote for you!

cheers

Stu

Missed that one, just undermines the whole awards, couldnt believe the first line talking about Ocean and Tahitian as if they were different ships and she has now left the fleet.

And as you point out newest ships??? 2013 and 14.

Thanks for the feedback. As you can imagine it was difficult to choose one winner for each category and not everyone will agree!

To answer your queries...

The name of the awards is Editors' Picks, so they are picked by the Editors at Cruise Critic and our team of local writers. There are separate awards ranked by passengers like yourselves. (I agree those awards will be very interesting, and quite possibly very different.)

All judges were Australian. I live in Sydney. I've been on 56 cruises across all brands. I am proud of my choices and my integrity - you don't last long in this job otherwise!

The outdated Princess info you mention is not related to the awards - unfortunately it was chosen as a link to an old Princess profile page for more general info about all of the fleet - but it is indeed out of date and should have been edited a long time ago (it's an American-managed page that I will get them to update - so thanks for alerting us to that! Yikes!)

The categories have existed for many years. I stand by all the winners. If I didn't have a clear winner, I dropped the whole category. (US and UK awards had triple the number of categories.) If anything, I wish I could have given runners-up for some of them.

I stand by the choice of Ovation. It's the 2016 Awards and it will be based here in 2016. The winning ship or any of the category winners didn't have to be based in Australia as we speak but it should be a ship that I recommend we would sail on, even if the majority of Aussies won't have been on it since it launched in April. We've had two writers onboard to check it out and the reviews were extremely high. Not a lot of "new" ships based in Australia (yet) to choose from either :)

The best way to get your favourites awarded is to write reviews on the Cruise Critic Reviews section. When we have enough reviews by Australians, we will be able to launch the first Australian Cruisers' Choice Awards - hopefully next year so get reviewing this season!

I appreciate your comments and trust you can understand this wasn't a smile job, but I took it seriously, with much consideration, consultation, research and impartiality. Would've been much easier to just get you all to vote! But that's what Cruisers Choice is for.

Gbenjo - I'll see what I can do about adding Best Check In Agent :)

Would love to hear what you all would have chosen for each category. It's not as easy as you think!