Trying to Make Dinner Reservations MTD

CALYMO

Hi All

I am starting to worry a bit about the MTD I selected for my March 26 cruise on the Oasis. I logged into the planner today thinking this was plenty early..5 months out and tried to book some reservations dinner. And all the times that are left are either 5 pm or 9pm :eek: Do they hold available times for booking once on the ship ? Meaning will I be able to make reservations when I board for a time other than these two. We are a family of four with two younger children (7 - 9) who dont do so well with long waiting times before dinner :rolleyes: I mean they could certainly deal with waiting in a line for 10 of fifteen minutes ...but I was hoping to be able to reserve a time to avoid that

Cara

I'm surprised you can make MTD reservations over six months out? I thought it was closer to 3 months. I wonder if you aren't seeing them all?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by slyster

This thread prompted me to check my availability for my April 2nd Oasis sailing and I seem to have almost any time available for the few restaurants I checked.

Not to hijack, but being this is my first time making reservations, do I pay for the restaurant cover charge (at the specialty ones) now when I make the reservation? If so, is it refundable if I cancel the reservation later or onboard?

This thread prompted me to check my availability for my April 2nd Oasis sailing and I seem to have almost any time available for the few restaurants I checked.

Not to hijack, but being this is my first time making reservations, do I pay for the restaurant cover charge (at the specialty ones) now when I make the reservation? If so, is it refundable if I cancel the reservation later or onboard?

yes if you pre book you pay on your CC up front when you make the reservation. if you cancel later, it will be refunded to the same CC( it will NOT be given back as OBC) in about 7-10 days.

unless you ABSOLUTELY must have X restaurant at X time on X day, wait until you board. for one, the chances of some sort of deal being offered can be pretty good.

We are a family of four with two younger children (7 - 9) who dont do so well with long waiting times before dinner :rolleyes: I mean they could certainly deal with waiting in a line for 10 of fifteen minutes ...but I was hoping to be able to reserve a time to avoid that

Have you consdered changing to traditional? Even if you are told it's full, get on the waitlist - it will likely clear.

I'm surprised you can make MTD reservations over six months out? I thought it was closer to 3 months. I wonder if you aren't seeing them all?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know the exact date but months ago I reserved our MTD for 5:30 for all 7 nights for a January 29 sail day on the Oasis. I would call and find out for sure. But I think with young children the 5:00 would work great.

so what is wrong with the 5 pm Slot?

regardless, you can make a reservation for the first night now then when you board adjust as necessary.

I personally find 5pm too early. My daughter was never ready to get out of the pool and get ready for dinner even when we had 5:30 dinner.

A few weeks ago, I made my MTD reservations at about 100 days out and there was still a lot of time slots left. There were a couple of days where 6-7:30 was not available. But I managed to get between 5:45 and 6:15 every day but one.

On my first cruise with MTD I didn't make the reservations very far in advanced. I just booked what I could. We didn't wait for long on the nights we didn't have reservations. Some nights we waited just as long as those that did have reservations (about 5 minutes to get seated).

I too find 5pm a little early as well. I wouldn't mind doing it some of the nights but not all of them for the same reason as previous poster...kids and the pool. I will take my chances on making reservations on boat.. fingers crossed or at the very worst my kiddos will have to learn that sometimes in life we wait! haha

Thanks for the responses

Cara

yes if you pre book you pay on your CC up front when you make the reservation. if you cancel later, it will be refunded to the same CC( it will NOT be given back as OBC) in about 7-10 days.

unless you ABSOLUTELY must have X restaurant at X time on X day, wait until you board. for one, the chances of some sort of deal being offered can be pretty good.

Thanks for the tip. If we book when we are on board, can we pay the cover charges with OBC?

Also, is there usually decent availability for those who want to book once on board? We're flexible with time, but some restaurants are must do's for us.

Thanks!

So I have never seen what the MTD reservations look like in the cruise planner. I checked (my cruise isn't until next year) and when I look at the cruise planner, I click on Dining & Beverage, there is nothing at all under All Dining. Does that mean it's just not available yet? I just want to make sure I'm looking in the right place

I took a screen shot of it. I have not attached a photo here before and I added it/uploaded it as an attachment.

453722085_ScreenShot2016-10-13at8_51_35PM.jpg.1d7901b61129dc50af60ff5d36043c22.jpg

For whatever it is worth and we travel as a family of 4 and RCCL created MTD was wonderful for every cruise we have been on we never make reservations and us and plenty of other persons with or without reservations never have to wait very long, the most 5-15 minutes and we usually show up at the restaurant podium around 7-7:30. Have a wonderful vacation it will be fine!

Does that mean it's just not available yet? I just want to make sure I'm looking in the right place

Yes, you are in the right place. Typically it's available about 90 days out, sometimes sooner. Subscribe to your Roll Call thread as someone there is bound to announce when it opens.

So I have never seen what the MTD reservations look like in the cruise planner. I checked (my cruise isn't until next year) and when I look at the cruise planner, I click on Dining & Beverage, there is nothing at all under All Dining. Does that mean it's just not available yet? I just want to make sure I'm looking in the right place

I took a screen shot of it. I have not attached a photo here before and I added it/uploaded it as an attachment.

Something isn't right there. I made our MTD reservations on 1st Oct for our Feb 26 cruise, nearly 5 months out. Here's my screenshot:

37174e529bd6c0693d9c7b73528c42bb.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Something isn't right there. I made our MTD reservations on 1st Oct for our Feb 26 cruise, nearly 5 months out.

Nothing wrong - the poster's cruise is simply too far out and dining is not available yet. The availability of dining more than 90 days out seems to be a newer thing, so having it available 5 months out is still not the norm.

Something isn't right there. I made our MTD reservations on 1st Oct for our Feb 26 cruise, nearly 5 months out. Here's my screenshot:

37174e529bd6c0693d9c7b73528c42bb.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I made our MTD reservations for our 2 April and 9 April 2017 Cruises on 30 September.