Weight gain? Anyone ever document?

ARI421

My husband and I just got off our tenth cruise yesterday.. over the past six months we had both lost some weight started going to the gym etc. We were curious to see how much weight we would gain from a 5 day cruise.. so we weighed ourselves early sat am and again today.. I was shocked I had gained almost 9 pounds! Our cabin was on the second floor and we took the stairs all the time (I almost died) went to the gym multiple times and walked all over saint John and Halifax now I ate whatever i wanted but still I was surprised. Has anyone else checked to see what they had gained?

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Wait 2 or 3 days, drink a lot of water and then weight again. Most of what you gained is fluid retention from all the salt in the food.

I'm on vacation, but adding 2-3000 calories a day just because I'm on vacation and totally changing how I eat would have me sick and miserable my entire trip. So I'd rather stick to eating normal and feeling good. Everyone is different, some people the added calories and extra food doesn't make them feel any different, for me it would make me feel awful. So it's not about not gaining weight, it's about not wanting to feel ill or "uncomfortable " on my vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I usually gain 6-7lbs on a 7 day drinking heavily and eating what I want. I do what others do though, walk a ton and take excursions that require alot of walking or swimming so that I don't gain as much as I potentially could. But yeah, last cruise I totally kept track weighing before I left home and when I returned. Also stayed a night in Galveston as well precruise and did and ate what I wanted. Not a ton to do there though so is not my choice port(and weird from airport to port)

Usually gain a few pounds, all of which is water weight - it's gone within 24-48 hours of getting home.

I neither stint with food nor pig out; it's true I don't drink much alcohol, but when I do it's really calorific stuff (pina colada, other sweet frozen drinks). Don't really like the desserts so that's a help. And end up doing much more exercise than at home (can't manage stairs though - if I could, that would be even better).

I've entirely stopped worrying about it. We've cruised at least 20 times in the last 10 years (don't keep track any more) and I've never had a weight gain that lasted more than 1-2 days.

On our recent 29 day cruise, we both gained about 4-5 pounds. We basically ate what we wanted without stuffing ourselves and usually drank about 2-3 glasses of wine a day each. After the first week onboard, the novelty of having so much food available (without having to cook or clean up!) wears off, and our eating became much closer to what it is at home. We also were walking much more than we do at home, so that helped. Within 3 days of getting home, we had both lost all of the extra except for about a pound each.

The most I gained was 7 lbs on a 12 day cruise. I blame it on the salt and my food choices - I mean, I don't normally eat AYCE every meal! The salt/water retention will disappear in a few days, but the actual weight gain may take some work.

So it's not about not gaining weight, it's about not wanting to feel ill or "uncomfortable " on my vacation.

This. On our first 7 day cruise, I ate so much that I was constantly feeling bloated. Not a great feeling. Now I've learned to tone it down and I don't eat until I feel sick. Everyone is different. If you want to stuff your face, feel free to do so, it's your vacation lol.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Doggielover68

I'm on vacation, but adding 2-3000 calories a day just because I'm on vacation and totally changing how I eat would have me sick and miserable my entire trip. So I'd rather stick to eating normal and feeling good. Everyone is different, some people the added calories and extra food doesn't make them feel any different, for me it would make me feel awful. So it's not about not gaining weight, it's about not wanting to feel ill or "uncomfortable " on my vacation.

ditto for me...which is why I end up losing weight. No extra calories but much more walking and stairs.

I've lost over 80 lbs in the past 6 years, so I always check when I'm back from a cruise.

The day I get back, I've gained at least a pound per day onboard. Sometimes 2.

Within a week, that's usually better than cut in half if I can go back to normal habits.

Within two or three weeks i should be back to my pre cruise weight.

If you have actual will power (I do not) losing the weight should be fairly routine.

My thinking is: I lost weight in order to relax on vacation... Not to have something to stress about on vacation.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

Not on the cruise, but I usually gain a bit when I get home. Weird, I know.

Like everyone I've had some issues with my weight. I've come to the place where routine is my friend when it comes to weight management. I eat pretty much the same things, at the same times every day, at least during the work week. And I don't keep stuff in my house I shouldn't eat. Keeps me out of trouble.

But, on the cruise the routine goes out the porthole. But, and here is the important part, I actually eat better. More vegetables. And my activity level goes way up. All that walking. Heck, even if I want dessert it's quite a hike to go get it. So, no weight gain even though I might eat more and at odd times.

When I get home it takes a few days to get back to my routine. During that few days I'll pack on a couple of pounds. Usually take it right off, but this time it's been since August and I'm still carrying that extra 3 pounds. Ugh!

My husband and I just got off our tenth cruise yesterday.. over the past six months we had both lost some weight started going to the gym etc. We were curious to see how much weight we would gain from a 5 day cruise.. so we weighed ourselves early sat am and again today.. I was shocked I had gained almost 9 pounds! Our cabin was on the second floor and we took the stairs all the time (I almost died) went to the gym multiple times and walked all over saint John and Halifax now I ate whatever i wanted but still I was surprised. Has anyone else checked to see what they had gained?

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

On our first cruise without our kids, my DH and I each gained 9 lbs. :eek: We took pictures every evening, and you could actually see it from the beginning of the week to the end.

On our last cruise last Dec., we weighed ourselves in the gym when we got on board, then again on the last day before we disembarked. I actually lost 1 lb. DH gained 2 lbs. we weren't really trying to not gain, we are just much more selective about what we eat. We don't want to have another "Sloth" cruise. :p

The biggest challenge for me is just the sheer variety of food and all the choices. I do enjoy the fresh fruit and vegetables that are already washed, peeled, and cut for me. :D I've also noticed that I eat less when I cruise by myself as opposed to traveling with others.

Roz

I am a lifetime Weight watchers member.. I follow my eating plan closely pre-cruise so I am at the low end of my 4 lb goal range. One the cuise, I order what I really want but usually do not eat the whole portion. I usually pass on the bread basket, and I limit the high calorie DOD's, preferring wine, a gin and tonic, or vodka tonic with a splash of cranberry. I walk a lot. I have never been more than 2 pounds over goal range post-cruise. I knew what to do to take it off quickly once I am home

Sent from my iPad using Forums