Maintenance Issues Cause Norwegian Jewel to Skip Mexico Ports

LauraS

The Jewel also had a problem with the azipod this past summer and skipped a port in Alaska, Skagway IIRC. They arrived back in Seattle a day early and were going to give I think $100 per cabin OBC until the passengers pushed back and got a local TV station involved. I think they eventually gave a refund of one night back and/or OBC given for the missed that was unused was refundable in this case

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2386122

I'm getting on the Jewel tomorrow...I sincerely hope that doesn't happen to me. If so, I'm going to need more than $50 to be compensated.
Somebody on the roll call for that cruise claims to have gotten a $700 refund and $700 future cruise credit.

Anyway, I hope the problems are fixed and you get to do your whole itinerary as planned.

I just got off that cruise and they gave each stateroom $50 obc, 25% off cruise, and 25% off a future cruise.

You may want to check with them on the future amount to find out exactly how many dollars that is. From our experience - a little different though - is they based the future credit by lowering our paid base fare for the credit for the cruise sailed on.

You may want to check with them on the future amount to find out exactly how many dollars that is. From our experience - a little different though - is they based the future credit by lowering our paid base fare for the credit for the cruise sailed on.

Hi, Dex. I don't have access to those POA cruise docs this am, but I recall that the 50% refund amount for DH and I was exactly what we had calculated it would be, based on our actual cruise fare paid, probably aside from port charges and taxes. I am confused by your statement that your's was based on a "lowered paid base fare". I know that some of us were more equal than others when it came to reimbursement of expenses for the day of dalay, but I was not aware there was any problem with the 50% reimbursements. Can you clarify this?

We have the Jewel booked for a 29 day next Fall, would hate to think this azipod problem would be an ongoing issue.

Hi, Dex. I don't have access to those POA cruise docs this am, but I recall that the 50% refund amount for DH and I was exactly what we had calculated it would be, based on our actual cruise fare paid, probably aside from port charges and taxes. I am confused by your statement that your's was based on a "lowered paid base fare". I know that some of us were more equal than others when it came to reimbursement of expenses for the day of dalay, but I was not aware there was any problem with the 50% reimbursements. Can you clarify this?

We have the Jewel booked for a 29 day next Fall, would hate to think this azipod problem would be an ongoing issue.

What I did initially is take the OBC they gave us, backed off the pre-paid DSC and came up with what they were giving us for the one lost day. If that was one day "fare" then I multiplied by 11 to get the cruise fare. When I did that though, I could get close to the total amount we paid out of pocket (incl. taxes) but not exact. When we were on the ship Dan? from Guest Services called towards the end of the trip and I asked him how much our credit would be but he couldn't answer.

My guess is the initial OBC for the lost day they gave for the sake of getting amounts onto accounts did take the total invoice and give 1/11 credit - not sure if yours did. When I went to use the credit, I was expecting a higher amount than what NCL was telling TA. After a couple hours of TA and I looking into it - and with TA giving me the invoice copy between them and NCL which has the $280.00 in port fees broken out, we could only get close to the amount they were showing by taking the fare and giving credit for only 10 days. Even taking the base fare on the TA invoice with NCL and taking 50% of that, the NCL credit they were giving us was still lower by about $20 some dollars.

At the time, I seemed to recall one poster who booked a trip and they had a similar story of their credit being based on 10 days if I interpreted it correctly. You do have me thinking of one other possible scenario - that perhaps we got too much OBC with port fees and taxes in the equation and maybe they figured that out and adjusted our credit afterwards.

Just came home from The Jewel. Received $50 OBC plus $19 each for the two missed ports. When I got my final statement yesterday morning, it had 1/4 of the cost of THIS cruise used to off set the final billing with 1/4 of the cost of THIS cruise to be a the amount of a CruiseNext Deposit certificate to show up on MYNCL.COM.

I can not wait to sail on The Jewel again in February. Staff was amazing. Lots of people demanded and got their DSC removed which was totally unfair.

Mandy

Just came home from The Jewel. Received $50 OBC plus $19 each for the two missed ports. When I got my final statement yesterday morning, it had 1/4 of the cost of THIS cruise used to off set the final billing with 1/4 of the cost of THIS cruise to be a the amount of a CruiseNext Deposit certificate to show up on MYNCL.COM.
Are you saying the same thing as dexddd? Why does it sound so simple when you say it? :D

I can not wait to sail on The Jewel again in February. Staff was amazing. Lots of people demanded and got their DSC removed which was totally unfair.

Mandy

Not doubting your word, but I'd be surprised if you are getting an actual Cruise Next Deposit Certificate, those certificates sold for $250 on board along with a $100 OBC to be used as deposit on your next cruise.

Things can change, and I hope it is that simple, but in our case, ( March 2016) our 50% "cruise credit" never appeared anywhere on MyNCL as I recall. The only way to confirm the amount on file was a phone call to Corporate Guest Relations. So the 25% which was used to "offset the final billing", was this processed as a refund to your credit card on file? I assume few would have the kind of onboard expenses to offset this amount.

In our case, at the time of the new booking, someone, either the cruiser, the NCl Cruise Consultant or a TA had to contact Guests Relations and get it approved and applied. It took a couple extra days to get it reflected on my new cruise booking. The official "line" was that it had to be used within 12 months, but they allowed it for my booking 19 months from the time the credit was issued. Some people had problems getting NCL to approve applying it, never understood why, something about how the TA had it booked.

Dexddd contends that his 50% of cruise fare was not exactly that, but less by his calculations, thus the detailed analysis. To make it very simple, a one day delay of departure was announced the day before the scheduled departure date, leaving those already at the port or in transit scrambling for hotels in San Francisco for that night. The ship was not completely finished ( post dry dock ). We got the 1 missed day of the cruise fare issued as an OBC, and a promise of 50% of cruise fare applied to a future cruise. They agreed to reimburse "expenses" for the day of the delay (hotels, etc) which we fought for months, not weeks, to actually receive by check.

I hope your situation is really cut and dried and proceeds without difficulty, but have learned that things with NCL turn out to be not as simple as they appear on the surface.

Edited by punkincc

Mandy

If they did it that way it would surely simplify things and make is easier for folks to understand. Maybe they had plenty of practice from the POA delay and found a better way plus they gave you 24 months. We were told things on the POA and given a vague letter and then afterwards when the specifics came out things changed.

Not doubting your word, but I'd be surprised if you are getting an actual Cruise Next Deposit Certificate, those certificates sold for $250 on board along with a $100 OBC to be used as deposit on your next cruise.

Things can change, and I hope it is that simple, but in our case, ( March 2016) our 50% "cruise credit" never appeared anywhere on MyNCL as I recall. The only way to confirm the amount on file was a phone call to Corporate Guest Relations. So the 25% which was used to "offset the final billing", was this processed as a refund to your credit card on file? I assume few would have the kind of onboard expenses to offset this amount.

In our case, at the time of the new booking, someone, either the cruiser, the NCl Cruise Consultant or a TA had to contact Guests Relations and get it approved and applied. It took a couple extra days to get it reflected on my new cruise booking. The official "line" was that it had to be used within 12 months, but they allowed it for my booking 19 months from the time the credit was issued. Some people had problems getting NCL to approve applying it, never understood why, something about how the TA had it booked.

Dexddd contends that his 50% of cruise fare was not exactly that, but less by his calculations, thus the detailed analysis. To make it very simple, a one day delay of departure was announced the day before the scheduled departure date, leaving those already at the port or in transit scrambling for hotels in San Francisco for that night. The ship was not completely finished ( post dry dock ). We got the 1 missed day of the cruise fare issued as an OBC, and a promise of 50% of cruise fare applied to a future cruise. They agreed to reimburse "expenses" for the day of the delay (hotels, etc) which we fought for months, not weeks, to actually receive by check.

I hope your situation is really cut and dried and proceeds without difficulty, but have learned that things with NCL turn out to be not as simple as they appear on the surface.

Right, the one thing from all of us on the rollcall is it never showed on myncl. When I booked last week our TA was in constant contact with me as NCL agent said this is unfamiliar to them and had to do some checking on how to apply and that once it was used there was no going back so TA double checked we intended to book the trip.

Right, the one thing from all of us on the rollcall is it never showed on myncl. When I booked last week our TA was in constant contact with me as NCL agent said this is unfamiliar to them and had to do some checking on how to apply and that once it was used there was no going back so TA double checked we intended to book the trip.

Intersting on the "once used no going back" per the TA. We actually had ours applied initially to a New England cruise booked for fall 2017, and then, when the South Pacific itinerary came out for the same date, we cancelled NE and rebooked to the Jewel, HNL to Sydney. There was no problem whatsoever with having the 50% credit transferred to the new booking.

Mandy

I would love to read your review of the Jewel Mandy. We are sailing on the Jewel next month and I would love to hear about your experience onboard and which Staff made your trip amazing.

I would love to read your review of the Jewel Mandy. We are sailing on the Jewel next month and I would love to hear about your experience onboard and which Staff made your trip amazing.

This was one of more interesting cruises I have been on in a long time (Cruise #30 for me). Even with all the drama with repairs taking much longer than any one anticipated, I still had a great cruise. I am however a much different passenger than most- itinerary means very very little to me. I love being on a Norwegian ship no matter which one. People always ask me, "What's your favorite ship?" and my answer is always, "Whatever one I am on when the question gets asked. I have become friends with so many staff members, it is impossible to be on a ship without knowing someone.

In answer to to your question about amazing staff, I would have to start with Captain Pelle Fredriksson. Captains rarely impress me, but he did in spades. I can not wait to sail with him again in the Spring. Hotel Director Steven Jacobsen is my opinion the BEST Hotel Director in the Norwegian system and Noel Chaves is the BEST Restaurant Manager in the system. Can not wait to sail with any of them again.

You will have a great cruise.

Mandy

This was one of more interesting cruises I have been on in a long time (Cruise #30 for me). Even with all the drama with repairs taking much longer than any one anticipated, I still had a great cruise. I am however a much different passenger than most- itinerary means very very little to me. I love being on a Norwegian ship no matter which one. People always ask me, "What's your favorite ship?" and my answer is always, "Whatever one I am on when the question gets asked. I have become friends with so many staff members, it is impossible to be on a ship without knowing someone.

In answer to to your question about amazing staff, I would have to start with Captain Pelle Fredriksson. Captains rarely impress me, but he did in spades. I can not wait to sail with him again in the Spring. Hotel Director Steven Jacobsen is my opinion the BEST Hotel Director in the Norwegian system and Noel Chaves is the BEST Restaurant Manager in the system. Can not wait to sail with any of them again.

Mandy

I would have to agree with you Mandy.... The staff on the ship was amazing and Yes, Captain Pelle Fredriksson did a wonderful job too.:cool: Also love seeing staff from previous cruise:D.

Mandy

I completely agree with you about Steven Jacobsen! Hands down the best Hotel Director we have encountered EVER. His whole philosophy filters down to the crew and they love him. That sets the whole tone for the cruise.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I read in a different site that passengers were aware before getting onboard about staying overnight in PV and missing mazatlan but the ship was suppose to be fixed thus the overnight. Then they missed cabo. NCL 50 dollar obc would have been frustrating as this was an issue well before sailing and it should of been fixed IMO. One port I can understand but two...hmmm.. Weather is understandable but known mechanical is not. One woman tried to cancel before getting on and they would not refund her. She also said there was fire alarms the first day.

I'm really happy some of you still had a great cruise though!! It sounds like the staff and food were amazing as usual!