When to cruise alaska?

rstackjd

Greetings all.

Wondering if anyone cares to weight in on how late in the year you can comfortably cruise Alaska?

I'm intrested in an Alaskan cruise in 2018. Due to some other commitments in the early part of the year, it's not likely that we could do an Alaskan cruise until late in the season - ie. September.

I know the sweet spot weather wise is Late June to Early August (or at least that's what I've been told) but will we be miserable if we go in early fall?

We have no frame of reference having never been there. As close as we've come was a Pacific Coast Cruise to Victoria the last week of April.

Thanks for your opinions!

Bob

Our favorite time has been end of May...luckily have always had great weather...Our last cruise which was in September...not a favorite and won't do that time again even though we were able to see the Northern Lights.

You just never know.

Upside of September are fewer people, particularly children.

Downside is the sun goes down earlier and there is a far greater chance of rain.

Keith

Not necessarily fewer children...There were 25 little's onboard under age 3 (including our GS)...it's a good time for young families to cruise since prices are lower.

We went end of May 2014. Beautiful weather. Very few children ( as they are in school until end of June). I would recommend that time of year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not true about kids, in the southern parts of the US, school is out by the end of May.

Our favorite time has been end of May...luckily have always had great weather...Our last cruise which was in September...not a favorite and won't do that time again even though we were able to see the Northern Lights.

One of the high points is to see the northern lights. And As long as I get to do some dog sledding. And walk on an ice berg. It'll be a great trip for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have cruised to Alaska twice. The first time, we went at the end of August into early September and the weather was beautiful. The second time, we went the last week of June and it was rainy, cold and overcast most of the time. It seems almost impossible to predict, it really is a crapshoot.

I have cruised to Alaska twice. The first time, we went at the end of August into early September and the weather was beautiful. The second time, we went the last week of June and it was rainy, cold and overcast most of the time. It seems almost impossible to predict, it really is a crapshoot.

Totally agree. So to me like I said as long as I get to those things. I'll be a happy camper. I've never been. So it'll be a new a wonderful experience.

In 2015, we sailed in early July. Weather was sunny and warm, got a sunburned nose before the 1st port.

The days were long, reminded me of summering in Finland with my ex.

In 2017 we are taking the very last sailing in September as a comparison.

I wouldn't walk on an iceberg. They are famous for flipping over. The ice in the water melts and the bottom gets lighter. Your'e from WI you shouldn't worry about weather in AK. Doesn't get as cold anywhere ships go.

Lmao. I meant a glacier. Lol.