Regent Dining Reservations

Rocknie

This is our first cruise aboard a Regent ship. We understand you can made one online reservation prior to sailing for each specialty restaurant on your ship. Other reservations have to be made once onboard. We have a Concierge Suite with one of the perks listed as "Priority Online Dining Reservations". Is this referring to the online reservations you can make prior to sailing or is it something different. We are trying to learn and understand the Regent verbiage and the Regent CC community has been extremely helpful. Our continued thanks!

Also: Even when it may be difficult to get reservations for a certain day or time that you'd like, if you're willing to share a table, it's much easier. You don't have to find another person or couple, btw: The maitre d' will seat you with other folks who are also interested in sharing. This applies both to the advance reservations and the additional ones you might like to make on board.

Note, too, that the captain's party (drinks, hors d'ouvres, introduction of officers, etc.) usually take place the 2nd night of a sailing. That night in the main dining room usually feels a little more special, and there's usually something special on the menu. (Not that the usual and regular fare isn't special!)

And the longer the cruise the more slots can become open. You can sometimes even get walk in sevice if you are patient as often there are "reserved's" who no-show and if you are there at the right time (on the hour or half) and are willing to hang around you might get an unexpected surprise. Just drop by an ask the Restaurant manager. Never hurt to ask. A good time to try is as Poss above suggested but also when there are really late tours returning to the ship, often people are tired and bale and do room sevice.

Enjoy

J

Agree complete - especially on longer itineraries and on ships that do not have Pacific Rim (it seems to be overly popular at the moment -- we were lucky to have one reservation on a 8 day cruise). P7 is popular but may be less so now that you can get great steaks in CR. Chartreuse is good but not a place that you would want to dine frequently.

We've several times booked P7 for the first night onboard. Is this still a good idea?

I presume with an 18-day cruise that we'll have other kicks at the can?

In our experience you can often get a reservation for the speciality restaurants on the first night without pre-booking

We always book one of the specialty restaurants for first night. Seems to us a pleasant way to begin a cruise.

Have never had a problem getting another reservation on cruises of 14+ days. Also probably easier to obtain reservation for less popular dining times. (Don't know which they'd be, but Maitre d' can no doubt advise.)

Depending upon the ship and the length of the cruise I wouldn't count on getting into a restaurant on the first night. Reservations are tight on 7 night itineraries. And, with the new dining venues (Pacific Rim and Chartreuse on the Navigator and Explorer), it would be a stroke of luck to get into either dining venue the first night (but it is worth a try - as long as you have reservations on other nights).

We also find that it is easier to get into Signatures (currently on the Mariner and Voyager) than Prime 7.

I do recommend making reservations on the last night because Compass Rose gets quite crowded - very early since passengers need to finish packing and get their luggage out for the 11:00 p.m. pick-up.

Depending upon the ship and the length of the cruise I wouldn't count on getting into a restaurant on the first night. Reservations are tight on 7 night itineraries. And, with the new dining venues (Pacific Rim and Chartreuse on the Navigator and Explorer), it would be a stroke of luck to get into either dining venue the first night (but it is worth a try - as long as you have reservations on other nights).

We also find that it is easier to get into Signatures (currently on the Mariner and Voyager) than Prime 7.

I do recommend making reservations on the last night because Compass Rose gets quite crowded - very early since passengers need to finish packing and get their luggage out for the 11:00 p.m. pick-up.

This is 18 days, thought I said. I'm not on Explorer, I'm on Mariner.

This is 18 days, thought I said. I'm not on Explorer, I'm on Mariner.

Sorry Wendy - the OP is sailing on the Explorer - since the subject turned to doing a walk-in on the first night, I wanted to give her a heads up. I do not know how long her cruise is.

You could definitely "possibly" (definitely possibly??) book on board for the first night. But I wouldn't count on it. Depends, I guess, on how much it matters to you and D. to enjoy one of the specialty restaurants on that evening. We kind of like it: seems somehow more restful after all the schlepping and unpacking, etc.

You know on a 18 day cruise a lot of people get tired of eating out on the ship. I know when we cruise after a week we take a few in the suite. And sometimes it's just a pizza or sandwich. Even when we have a revs in one we cancel it and stay in and watch a good movie.

I do get tired of all the cruise dining hoopla after a while. Skipping meals is an attractive option.

Thanks! The first week is wow, the next few days is OK, the next is why. couldn't agree with you more. I know a lot of people cruise for the food, and that's a plus because you want it to be good but for us it's to relax and enjoy the time with nothing to do. I can sit outside on the deck and watch the day go to night.

To each his own!!! We live in the sticks. We LOVE living in the sticks. We almost never go out to dinner when we are at home. By choice. And also because there isn't much to go out to. So when we cruise, we savor every meal on the ship. By the end of every cruise we welcome getting back to normal. But "fine dining" is, for us, one of the ultimate delights of luxury cruising.

To each his own!!! We live in the sticks. We LOVE living in the sticks. We almost never go out to dinner when we are at home. By choice. And also because there isn't much to go out to. So when we cruise, we savor every meal on the ship. By the end of every cruise we welcome getting back to normal. But "fine dining" is, for us, one of the ultimate delights of luxury cruising.

Good for you, that's what make cruising so great! Something for everyone.