New VOOM Internet and phone service

tm3750

Try this at home now. Put your phone into airplane mode, turn on WiFi only and try to make a call. That's what you'll do on the ship.

actually this depends on phone and and phone company.

On Sprint android phone, I can not put it in airplane mode for wifi calling. For Verizon iPhone, you can put it in airplane mode and make wifi calls. I have tested this over seas, and it works great. It also worked great on Anthem TA.

So check with your phone company on the correct way to use it with your type of phone.

I will also say on Sprint wifi calling with android phones. Texting is free. I did not get bill while in the middle east while texting back home.

Edited by Bosjoe

On Sprint android phone, I can not put it in airplane mode for wifi calling.

No way would I chance making a free WiFi call if there's a chance that it will get routed over the ship's cell tower (or any out of network tower) instead.

No way would I chance making a free WiFi call if there's a chance that it will get routed over the ship's cell tower (or any out of network tower) instead.

There is no chance at all you will be routed to the ships cell tower because you put your phone in Airplane mode and then turn WiFi on. In Airplane Mode cellular is off so you can't be routed to a cell tower.

There is no chance at all you will be routed to the ships cell tower because you put your phone in Airplane mode and then turn WiFi on. In Airplane Mode cellular is off so you can't be routed to a cell tower.

I was responding to the poster who said that WiFi calling doesn't work on his Sprint phone when putting it in Airplane mode.;)

Even more reason to try this at home before getting on the ship.

Of course that is right, it makes sense to try it at home after setting it up. Also if you get a new phone you have to do it all over again. It does not carry over to the new phone. And before going on a cruise I try it again to make sure it is still on.

Edited by Charles4515

Since AT&T WiFi works quite well over Voom there is no reason to use any other program since I can call and receive calls using my regular phone number without issue.

Just make sure to put your phone to Airplane mode, then re-enable WiFi and connect to Royal Wifi. As long as you have previously enabled WiFi Calling, it should work.

The call will NOT go out as a cellular call.

If you have wi-fi calling turned on there is an indicator on your phone to let you know the phone call is going wi-fi instead of cellular. It's actually very simple.

EDIT: Biker, should have kept reading, I see what you were clarifying now.

Edited by wowprincess

There is no way I would attempt a WiFi call on a ship unless my phone was in airplane mode. Supposedly the newest Android release (6.01) forces everything (calls/texts) over WiFi when you turn on WiFi calling, but I've never tried it on a ship.

Having said that, I go to one place with almost zero cell tower reception. There, I turn on WiFi calling and everything works great! The ICON does change with WiFi turned on.

Enjoy you cruise.

There is no way I would attempt a WiFi call on a ship unless my phone was in airplane mode. Supposedly the newest Android release (6.01) forces everything (calls/texts) over WiFi when you turn on WiFi calling, but I've never tried it on a ship.

Having said that, I go to one place with almost zero cell tower reception. There, I turn on WiFi calling and everything works great! The ICON does change with WiFi turned on.

Enjoy you cruise.

I have an Android phone and have used it internationally, yes my phone has to be on and in WIFImode for calls and text while traveling internationally. While in the middle east I was able to call and text back home with no charges.

On Iphones with Verizon, put it in airplane mode and put on the wifi to make your calls.

As long as the WIFI calling icon is on you will be fine.

Edited by Bosjoe