Price Changes?

cjnix29

How do price changes work on Royal? We normally cruise Carnival, and I'm aware of how those work, depending on the rate you book. But I keep seeing the price of my cruise go down in my category. When I ask my TA about it, she always says that is for new bookings only. Is this true? Or are you ever eligible for price drops?

You are eligible for any price drop that occurs prior to final payment. After final payment typically you can only take advantage of a price drop if it is in a higher priced category that would have you paying some additional amount to upgrade to that new category, unless the reduced price is specified for new bookings only.

Even though much of Royal's find print does say for new bookings only the only one that ever seems to be enforced is the "going, going, gone sale" that starts every Monday and ends Wednesday or Thursday on selected sailings only and most of these would be after final paymemt so it would apply to upgrades only.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

RCI allows price drops up until final payment. Some lower prices are for new bookings only, but not a lot. So if you have seen several lower prices, I would doubt your TA's responses. If the price is currently lower and you have not passed your final payment, call the TA again and ask. After final payment there is no reduction or on board credit. Your only choice after final pay is to perhaps be able to upgrade your cabin to a better category for little or no expense.

If your TA is telling you for new bookings only, either transfer the booking to Royal, or get a new TA. He or she is just lazy. You can always cancel and rebook if necessary.

Subject to it not being past final payment. Penalties would apply to cancel after final payment and re-book. RCI sponsored OBC's, etc., could also be lost.

Even though much of Royal's find print does say for new bookings only the only one that ever seems to be enforced is the "going, going, gone sale" that starts every Monday and ends Wednesday or Thursday on selected sailings only and most of these would be after final paymemt so it would apply to upgrades only.

Our experience as well. I mentioned the new bookings only comment in reference to the fine print. :)

It's not past final payment. Are there penalties to cancel?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No penalties by Royal if you booked under North American terms and conditions. Your travel agent may have their own penalties...check your contract.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Our experience as well. I mentioned the new bookings only comment in reference to the fine print. :)

I guess with including that in the fine print they get a lot of people who never bother calling. I'm surprised with the TA not knowing that though or maybe they are trying to preserve a higher commission.

That is why I would never book with a TA. My upcoming cruise has had several price drops. I got the lower price every time by making a five minute phone call.

I won't argue the point except to say that our TA watches for price drops and has no issue making changes on our behalf. She also does not charge any extra fees not charged by the cruise line for originating, modifying, or cancelling a booking made through her. All of which we've done numerous times in our many years working through her. IMO she provides a valuable benefit to us with her service.

While there are those who aren't as good and do charge extra for their services, there are many - such as ours - who do not.

I won't argue the point except to say that our TA watches for price drops and has no issue making changes on our behalf. She also does not charge any extra fees not charged by the cruise line for originating, modifying, or cancelling a booking made through her. All of which we've done numerous times in our many years working through her. IMO she provides a valuable benefit to us with her service.

While there are those who aren't as good and do charge extra for their services, there are many - such as ours - who do not.

You have no idea how extremely lucky you are with having found such a great TA. In over 30 years of cruising, I have yet to find a TA like yours. The last one said "price changes are a daily thing with cruises and I don't have the time to constantly look at price changes for your cruise". The last two cruises I have booked with Costco and watched the prices every week until final payment and had them call RCI and got the price adjusted. The nice "Costco cash back" bonus and "extras" they provide are worth the work of signing on once a week to look for price differences for me.

I usually book my cruises about 4 months out, so it's not like I spent weeks and weeks of time checking prices.

Edited by roxy2003