Oasis - Coastal Kitchen, so disappointed

We just got off Oasis today and it was our first cruise as a family. My husband and I cruised 12 years ago on Carnival so it really felt like our first cruise as well.

We were in a Royal Family Suite and attempted to use Coastal Kitchen on the first 2 mornings and then just gave up after that. Both times we waited forever for someone to seat us, even though there were several tables open. The hostess was just nowhere to be found and the staff just kept looking at us (and others) as they walked by. When we finally did get seated, we got our drinks in a timely manner but not once during either breakfast did anyone stop and ask us if we wanted more water or juice. At one point my son got up from the table and went over to the other side of the room and got his own drink. Food was good, but again, service was pretty poor. Our server was the same both days and she was not overly happy to be there and never stopped and asked us how our food was. It was just really disappointing, so we never went back. Did not bother for lunch or dinner either. I had read such good things about the lounge and restaurant so I was really hoping to enjoy it more.

Kristine

Kristine,

I'm sorry you had that experience.

We were on the Oasis just before you and had the opposite experience. The service we received from the staff at the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen was great.

We met a server at Coastal Kitchen the first night. Her name was Hershey. She was fantastic. We asked to be seated with her the three dinners we ate there. Hershey also served us for a few breakfasts.

Our bartenders, Richard and Guido, were also superb. Very friendly and helpful.

The two concierges, Claudine and Dudley, went above and beyond. They were always there to answer any question we might have. We also had a Royal Genie, Leticia, that helped us with anything else we asked.

We were spoiled by the Coastal Kitchen and Suite Lounge. So much so that we booked a Sky Class Suite on the Oasis for our next cruise. We were lucky enough to get an upgrade to Star Class on the last cruise which was very nice.

Again, I'm sorry your experience wasn't as good. We were fortunate that we met some wonderful Royal Caribbean employees on the first day of our cruise and that carried over to the entire week.

Chris :)

Kristine,

I'm sorry you had that experience.

We were on the Oasis just before you and had the opposite experience. The service we received from the staff at the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen was great.

We met a server at Coastal Kitchen the first night. Her name was Hershey. She was fantastic. We asked to be seated with her the three dinners we ate there. Hershey also served us for a few breakfasts.

Our bartenders, Richard and Guido, were also superb. Very friendly and helpful.

The two concierges, Claudine and Dudley, went above and beyond. They were always there to answer any question we might have. We also had a Royal Genie, Leticia, that helped us with anything else we asked.

We were spoiled by the Coastal Kitchen and Suite Lounge. So much so that we booked a Sky Class Suite on the Oasis for our next cruise. We were lucky enough to get an upgrade to Star Class on the last cruise which was very nice.

Again, I'm sorry your experience wasn't as good. We were fortunate that we met some wonderful Royal Caribbean employees on the first day of our cruise and that carried over to the entire week.

Thanks Chris, I am sure it was not the norm and to be honest, a lot of the serving staff on the whole ship seemed very stressed out during our week.

We had a blast on the ship and have booked it for the same week next year, so we will give it another try then!

We did ask the concierge one day to make us dining reservations at Chops for our anniversary and they said they would call and try and get us in and they would call us and let us know. Never heard from him.

We just got off Oasis today and it was our first cruise as a family. My husband and I cruised 12 years ago on Carnival so it really felt like our first cruise as well.

We were in a Royal Family Suite and attempted to use Coastal Kitchen on the first 2 mornings and then just gave up after that. Both times we waited forever for someone to seat us, even though there were several tables open. The hostess was just nowhere to be found and the staff just kept looking at us (and others) as they walked by. When we finally did get seated, we got our drinks in a timely manner but not once during either breakfast did anyone stop and ask us if we wanted more water or juice. At one point my son got up from the table and went over to the other side of the room and got his own drink. Food was good, but again, service was pretty poor. Our server was the same both days and she was not overly happy to be there and never stopped and asked us how our food was. It was just really disappointing, so we never went back. Did not bother for lunch or dinner either. I had read such good things about the lounge and restaurant so I was really hoping to enjoy it more.

Kristine

We had the same thing happen on Oasis. Our party sat down and never recieved bread or drinks for a long time, so I got up and went and got them myself making sure the matrie d saw this. Then our service was outstanding. I did ask not to be seated with the same waiter again since dinner was over 2 1/2 hours long without desert.

We then had Hershey and she was fabulous!!!!!!!

Our Coastal Kitchen experience was it was never crowded.

We tend to eat breakfast early and dinner later. We never felt crowded or waited for a table or service (but we were lucky enough to meet Hershey).

We tipped Hershey the first night since she was so good to us. We tipped her again at the end of the cruise. I don't think the early tip affected our service since, in my opinion, Hershey is just a good server. I don't think the tips hurt either and we are happy to tip to recognize good service.

We did not eat any lunches in the Coastal Kitchen.

We did make reservations for the two dinners we ate there, nights one and five. Hershey suggested eating at Coastal Kitchen for lobster night as the lobster is grilled rather than boiled. It was really good lobster.

We ate at the Chefs Table on day 2. The Chefs Table is held inbetween the Coastal Kitchen and the Suite Lounge at a table for sixteen just opposite the bar area.

The rest of the nights we ate at specialty restaurants.

If you make reservations for dinner, you should be fine. I never saw anyone waiting for breakfast or lunch at the times we were there.

Hope this helps.

Edited by dr.evil

Our Coastal Kitchen experience was it was never crowded.

We tend to eat breakfast early and dinner later. We never felt crowded or waited for a table or service (but we were lucky enough to meet Hershey).

We tipped Hershey the first night since she was so good to us. We tipped her again at the end of the cruise. I don't think the early tip affected our service since, in my opinion, Hershey is just a good server. I don't think the tips hurt either and we are happy to tip to recognize good service.

We did not eat any lunches in the Coastal Kitchen.

We did make reservations for the two dinners we ate there, nights one and five. Hershey suggested eating at Coastal Kitchen for lobster night as the lobster is grilled rather than boiled. It was really good lobster.

We ate at the Chefs Table on day 2. The Chefs Table is held inbetween the Coastal Kitchen and the Suite Lounge at a table for sixteen just opposite the bar area.

The rest of the nights we ate at specialty restaurants.

If you make reservations for dinner, you should be fine. I never saw anyone waiting for breakfast or lunch at the times we were there.

Hope this helps.

Okay, i'll be lookin' for Hershey. What day does the lobster night happen?Can i take out the drinks? There are specialty dining times that i wanted that are apparently sold out, can Claudine make it happen?? Thanks

We were on Oasis last week too and had many meals at Coastal Kitchen - lunch on embarkation day, breakfast every morning, and two dinners. Dinners were the only times we had reservations. We were always seated promptly and, while it was busy, it was never full. Service at breakfast was a bit slow but not much more so than the MDR. We found the dinner menu the first half of the trip to be much better than the second.

Okay, i'll be lookin' for Hershey. What day does the lobster night happen?Can i take out the drinks? There are specialty dining times that i wanted that are apparently sold out, can Claudine make it happen?? Thanks

Yes, you can take drinks out of the lounge. We often stopped by mid day for a beer or wine "to go". Claudine and Dudley were able to get us reservations when restaurants showed booked solid. The earlier you see them for this, the better.

Yes, you can take drinks out of the lounge. We often stopped by mid day for a beer or wine "to go". Claudine and Dudley were able to get us reservations when restaurants showed booked solid. The earlier you see them for this, the better.

thanks, no need to get the drink pkg then[emoji4]

Stickyshocker,

Are you booked in a Suite? If yes, did you receive an email from Claudine or Dudley?

Yes, same RFS as the OP. I got the email last week, i haven't finalized our dining options yet so i haven't responded. Maybe this thread will help.

We had great service in the Coastal Kitchen for breakfast, lunch and dinner when we went in August. I forget the name of the server that we had most of the times we went for breakfast and lunch but she was terrific. Guido in the Suite Lounge was absolutely amazing as one of our bar servers. We had Claudine and Federico and they were both very helpful getting us reservations at Chops, Giovanni's and the Coastal Kitchen. We ate dinner 2 times at Coastal Kitchen and both were wonderful experiences. I'm sorry you didn't have as good of an experience.

stickyshocker,

Good. You should be able to email them. Claudine responded to my email I sent after our cruise thanking her for her help.

There are two different family suites. Are you in a Sky Class or a Star Class family Suite?

stickyshocker,

Good. You should be able to email them. Claudine responded to my email I sent after our cruise thanking her for her help.

There are two different family suites. Are you in a Sky Class or a Star Class family Suite?

I will, eventually.. But should i even bother with MDR,Izumi or Sabor?was thinkin' of squeezin it in on some nights , otherwise i'll let Claudine know that im reserving dinner on CK across the board. I think i will pass on the Ala carte and do the express breakfast instead... Sky Class btw[emoji846]

Personal experiences vary among all people.

We have cruised and dined in CK on both Oasis and Allure.

Our first experience was on Oasis, and we said we would never eat in CK again. Slow, not too friendly servers, atmosphere was very sterile.

Well this year when we sailed on Allure we said what the heck we will give it another try.

I do not know what happened, but it was one of the most elegant and best meals we have ever had. And the ambience was great.

The chef came out and talked with us, and our meals were served hot and too our liking.

We love the Allure and are returning next year.

So when I posted originally about not enjoying CK on Oasis, it is amazing how Allure was awesome.

Thanks

I have good and bad experiences in CK.

On the Anthem last year, the cooked to order breakfast and quality of service was very poor and disappointing.

On the Oasis earlier this year, the food was good and the quality of service varied from good to very good but rarely excellent.

Ultimately, it depends on the staff on duty at the time but I would agree with those who question whether Royal Caribbean try hard enough to maintain standards and make sure that the most experienced and competent are assigned to the CK.

I have been going on cruises long enough and often enough to make allowances. There are no guarantees, even with land based restaurants.

I will, eventually.. But should i even bother with MDR,Izumi or Sabor?was thinkin' of squeezin it in on some nights , otherwise i'll let Claudine know that im reserving dinner on CK across the board. I think i will pass on the Ala carte and do the express breakfast instead... Sky Class btw[emoji846]

Sky Class... Claudine would be the person to help you.

I asked because we were Star Class and had a Genie to help us. Star Class afforded us free dining in any of the specialty restaurants. Otherwise, I don't think we would have eaten in any. Chops was very good. Giovanni's was good also with very large portions. Izumi was fun at the habachi table.

We tried not to bother Claudine and Dudley too much. They were available in the Suite Lounge most times and were very helpful however.

We felt the service was severely lacking on Oasis, too. That's not to say it was terrible and no high points, but getting service in any of the dining areas or public areas was miserable. The staff seemed like they didn't care one bit. There is an obvious management issue on that ship. As I said, there were obviously some nice folks, too. I had a bartender in Central Park that rocked, our cabin steward was great, main dining room was friendly but SUPER SLOW...

But just getting off a Carnival cruise, holy crap... the difference in service was unbelievable. Buffet, main dining room, bar tenders, sitting around with drinks in public areas... the service was always there and outrageously friendly and pleasant. I'd be sitting by the pool, and a bartender from the main dining room would recognize me, run over, ask me by name if I preferred my same drink, big smile... It was just this type of attention all over the place. My wife swears she would rather sail Carnival simply because of the service being so much better.... I'd still prefer Oasis :)

So reading this statement about CK being bad isn't a surprise. Oasis has service issues.

We felt the service was severely lacking on Oasis, too. That's not to say it was terrible and no high points, but getting service in any of the dining areas or public areas was miserable. The staff seemed like they didn't care one bit. There is an obvious management issue on that ship. As I said, there were obviously some nice folks, too. I had a bartender in Central Park that rocked, our cabin steward was great, main dining room was friendly but SUPER SLOW...

But just getting off a Carnival cruise, holy crap... the difference in service was unbelievable. Buffet, main dining room, bar tenders, sitting around with drinks in public areas... the service was always there and outrageously friendly and pleasant. I'd be sitting by the pool, and a bartender from the main dining room would recognize me, run over, ask me by name if I preferred my same drink, big smile... It was just this type of attention all over the place. My wife swears she would rather sail Carnival simply because of the service being so much better.... I'd still prefer Oasis :)

So reading this statement about CK being bad isn't a surprise. Oasis has service issues.

Ok - thanks for saying this! I was beginning to think it was just me! I loved our cruise, loved it. But it seemed like all the servers everywhere were unhappy, unfriendly and unhelpful. We sat several times on the suite deck and not once did anyone come and ask us if we wanted a drink. We had to get up every single time and get it ourselves. Not that my legs are broken and it was a huge issue, but it seems like the best of the best should be placed in the suite areas. I sat and watched waiters all over the regular sun decks taking orders for people. Seems odd there was nobody on the suite sun deck.

In Windjammer, forget it, everyone seemed irritated with their jobs. No smiles, nothing. And they very rarely came and cleared the plates off the table until AFTER you left the table. And again, we had someone ask us once if we wanted a drink and never again.

Edited by Hammergirl

Ok - thanks for saying this! I was beginning to think it was just me! I loved our cruise, loved it. But it seemed like all the servers everywhere were unhappy, unfriendly and unhelpful. We sat several times on the suite deck and not once did anyone come and ask us if we wanted a drink. We had to get up every single time and get it ourselves. Not that my legs are broken and it was a huge issue, but it seems like the best of the best should be placed in the suite areas. I sat and watched waiters all over the regular sun decks taking orders for people. Seems odd there was nobody on the suite sun deck.

In Windjammer, forget it, everyone seemed irritated with their jobs. No smiles, nothing. And they very rarely came and cleared the plates off the table until AFTER you left the table. And again, we had someone ask us once if we wanted a drink and never again.

We were at Windjammer early one day on Oasis. Only a few other tables, the waiters literally walked right past us and ignored us. They weren't even going to other tables or anything. Just terrible, terrible service. As I said, there is a very clear management issue on Oasis of the Seas - and it's a shame they aren't addressing it. My experience was months ago.