Volendam apparently not going to Shanghai, at least on time

Wehwalt

I'm on the Volendam, and it doesn't look like we are going to Shanghai anymore due, I suspect, to high wind. The front desk doesn't have info yet (it's 3 am) but we're 80 miles east and moving in the wrong direction for Shanghai. At the very least we are going to be significantly late.

This after I was on the Zuiderdam in the hurricane last month! Fortunately I had no private excursions planned but I bet some people will be upset.

Edited by Wehwalt

Not much to report. We got in at 9 pm last night, about 15 hours after planned. Certainly not as much time as hoped, but so it goes. I was really trolling for any information people might have because the front desk was stonewalling. Thanks much to all.

Edited by Wehwalt

Captain Beijens is in command.

The ship is in good condition and is due dry-docking + upgrades next year.

Crew and service was excellent.

No unlimited Internet. $250 for 1000 minutes. Stable connection. Fine for emails, social media and general browsing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Captain Beijens is in command.

The ship is in good condition and is due dry-docking + upgrades next year.

Crew and service was excellent.

No unlimited Internet. $250 for 1000 minutes. Stable connection. Fine for emails, social media and general browsing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks! We were on the Volendam last November around Australia and it sounds like all is the same - good ship, crew, captain.

Now home from the Vancouver to Hong Kong cruise on the Volendam - what a journey! It was wonderful - even the stop in Dutch Harbour was a talking point for a while. It was disappointing that we missed half of our stay in Shanghai, especially as we had booked what looked to be a very interesting excursion the first day, but these things happen. We were on the port side and we had the most spectacular view of the city lights.

We thought the Volendam was in very good shape and the staff and crew were wonderful as usual. The Volendam singers and dancers were exceptional. We felt at home straight away.

Curious about the dry dock: did you hear when she'll be going in? I'm booked on the Volendam for Alaska in 2017, and the HAL rep I spoke with said she'd be in dry dock this December for suite refurbishments. But I've seen from a couple sources that it's a 2017 dry dock, with no definite time frame (like late Dec 2016-early Jan 2017).

Thanks for any clarification!

• 1 month later...
Shanghai docking eta is now 9pm. Due to poor weather and river tidal issues.

We had exactly the same thing happen on our recent repositioning cruise on the Volendam. We arrived at 9 pm on the day we were supposed to arrive so consequently we missed out on a tour to the water town and I'd been looking forward to it. My lesson from that was to book the more important tour on the second day if possible. All of that said though, Shanghai is the most spectacular city and I would like to see it again.