Question re. Celebrity's "Train to Florence" excursion

voyage2007

Looking for feedbak from anyone who would have taken this relatively recent excursion with Celebrity...

We booked this excursion a while ago, when the description was quite bare. We wanted a simple and "fast" way to get to Florence, so that we could see as much as possible during that day. This week, we noticed more details, which start with: "Sit back and soak up the views on a train ride to Florence, where you’ll have approximately four hours to explore at your own pace." I assume this means a 2:30ish departure from Florence. :confused:

Does the excursion allow flexibility on the train return time? Or do we have to purchase a separate/additional ticket to return a bit later?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Joanne

Looking for feedbak from anyone who would have taken this relatively recent excursion with Celebrity...

We booked this excursion a while ago, when the description was quite bare. We wanted a simple and "fast" way to get to Florence, so that we could see as much as possible during that day. This week, we noticed more details, which start with: "Sit back and soak up the views on a train ride to Florence, where you’ll have approximately four hours to explore at your own pace." I assume this means a 2:30ish departure from Florence. :confused:

Does the excursion allow flexibility on the train return time? Or do we have to purchase a separate/additional ticket to return a bit later?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Joanne

Don't take a "tour" this is easily done on your own! This is assuming you are docking in Livorno. I know many who did this on my transatlantic last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just did this tour in Sept 2016. What I remember is we met on the pier about 8 am or 8:30 am and took a bus to the train station. The train was about 45 mins to Florence. Our tour guide to us to Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence. I'm thinking we had to meet back at the train station about 3:30 pm. I never asked about staying in town.

We booked our tickets ahead of time for The Accademia Gallery and The Magnificent Uffizi Gallery. I went to a website and booked a 11:15 time for The Accademia Gallery (statue of David) and a 1:00 pm The Magnificent Uffizi Gallery. We went to Accademia 1st. There is a window across from the entrance to the right to pick up your tickets for both museums. Then you get in the line for people that prebooked tickets. The line is much shorter. Just get in line they will not make wait until our entrance time.

We were told if your there in the off season the lines are not bad. We could have done it all on our own, but this was just easier for us.

You may want to look into doing it on your own if you would prefer to return later. Typically they do pick pretty early return times because they are corralling a group of 50+ people and are on the hook for getting everyone back in time. If they are simply providing a train ticket with transportation to and from the train station, I don't think it would be that difficult to do on your own.

Thank you for the feedback!

Since we will be there in early November (not the busiest time of year!), I am reconsidering this tour.

Joanne

The most difficult part of doing this on your own (for a lot less money then a tour) is getting a taxi to take you from the port to the train station. But once you get to the station you simply buy a ticket to Florence (Firenze), validate the ticket in the machine on or near the platform, and take the next train (going to Florence). Once in Florence everything is within walking distance (assuming you have no walking challenges) except the Academia (a very long hike or short taxi ride). If you simply go the CC Ports of Call /Italy board and do a search you will find hundreds of previous posts about Florence and this issue.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We did this on our own in July . We pre-booked the Accademia for 12:00pm.

First we went to Pisa on the 8:00am train. Spent at most an hour looking at the tower etc. Then on to Florence by 9:45am. Picked up our tickets for the Accademia (David). Walked the short distance to the Duomo .

Back to the Accademia... let us in early although the lines were long !

Then spent time in the Market, Ponte Vecchio and lunch.

Walked back to the train station and went straight to Livorno.

There was a port bus to take you to another bus(pay) to the train station.

You can get tickets from machine or human.

It is not hard to do. We were on the same train returning as those that booked with Celebrity.

Eaglewar.....Rick

Thank you for the feedback!

Since we will be there in early November (not the busiest time of year!), I am reconsidering this tour.

Joanne

We were there in early September. We took the free Celebrity Shuttle into Town and picked up Bus and Train tickets at a Tobaconist Shop near where you take the Bus to the Train Station, about 100 yards. Both Tickets cost about 22 Euros all in return. It's an easy walk to see the sites from the Florence Train Station. You have to remember to stamp your tickets in a machine going and the coming back. It was a breeze!

While I agree that getting to and from Florence on the train is easy to do, my problem is with the train schedules - I'd like to get there earlier and stay later. A few years ago, I arranged for a minivan to pick us up at the port of Livorno early in the morning, drop us at Accademia and then meet us at a different location in Florence about 4:00 and return us to the ship. I had no problem filling the van through our roll call. It was more than the roundtrip train fare but much more convenient and gave us a lot more time in Florence. The best part was that we were at Accademia right when it opened - no lines and no crowd!

I'm not sure of the company but you can find lots of recommendations on the Ports of Call board.

We booked our tickets ahead of time for The Accademia Gallery and The Magnificent Uffizi Gallery. I went to a website and booked a 11:15 time for The Accademia Gallery (statue of David) and a 1:00 pm The Magnificent Uffizi Gallery. We went to Accademia 1st. There is a window across from the entrance to the right to pick up your tickets for both museums. Then you get in the line for people that prebooked tickets. The line is much shorter. Just get in line they will not make wait until our entrance time.

We were told if your there in the off season the lines are not bad. We could have done it all on our own, but this was just easier for us.

Definitely book your tickets in advance (directly with the Museums, not with a tour agency which will charge extra).

One time we were there and unknown to us it was free museum week, so those without pre-booked tickets had a two to three hour line to wait before getting into the museums.

While I agree that getting to and from Florence on the train is easy to do, my problem is with the train schedules - I'd like to get there earlier and stay later. A few years ago, I arranged for a minivan to pick us up at the port of Livorno early in the morning, drop us at Accademia and then meet us at a different location in Florence about 4:00 and return us to the ship. I had no problem filling the van through our roll call. It was more than the roundtrip train fare but much more convenient and gave us a lot more time in Florence. The best part was that we were at Accademia right when it opened - no lines and no crowd!

I'm not sure of the company but you can find lots of recommendations on the Ports of Call board.

There are plenty of early morning trains to Florence...in fact there are several before 8am. When we want to take the train to Florence (we often just rent a car in Livorno and pick it up at the pier) we are among the first off the ship (usually by 7:15) and go directly to the taxi queue where we assertively beg for a driver to take us to the station. Most (not all) of the time we will be at the station by 7:45 and on a train by 8 which gets us into Florence before 9:30. There are currently trains departing Livorno at 7:30, 7:40, and 8:12. And that 8:12 train will have you in Florence at 9:32 before many things are even open.

The problem is that many passengers simply do not do their homework, get going early enough, or learn how to deal with the taxi situation (which does suck in Livorno). We have met folks that tell us about strolling off the ship around 8...and do not understand why they cannot be in Florence by 9! I should also mention that when we rent a car (from Sifracar) they are waiting at the bottom of the gangplank by 7:30 and we are off less then 10 minutes later. If we wanted to drive to Florence (which we generally don't) we would be there by 9am!

Hank

There are plenty of early morning trains to Florence...in fact there are several before 8am. When we want to take the train to Florence (we often just rent a car in Livorno and pick it up at the pier) we are among the first off the ship (usually by 7:15) and go directly to the taxi queue where we assertively beg for a driver to take us to the station. Most (not all) of the time we will be at the station by 7:45 and on a train by 8 which gets us into Florence before 9:30. There are currently trains departing Livorno at 7:30, 7:40, and 8:12. And that 8:12 train will have you in Florence at 9:32 before many things are even open.

The problem is that many passengers simply do not do their homework, get going early enough, or learn how to deal with the taxi situation (which does suck in Livorno). We have met folks that tell us about strolling off the ship around 8...and do not understand why they cannot be in Florence by 9! I should also mention that when we rent a car (from Sifracar) they are waiting at the bottom of the gangplank by 7:30 and we are off less then 10 minutes later. If we wanted to drive to Florence (which we generally don't) we would be there by 9am!

Hank

In Rome, both from the airport to Rome and from Rome to Civitavecchia, we did very well pre-booking with Rome Cabs point to point. Is there something similar for the Livorno station link so you don't have to hassle with a taxi driver who has waited in the taxi rank hoping for a big fare all the way to Lucca or Florence?