On Marina now...

mpfund

This is a good reminder that Noro is not due to a 'sick ship' and does happen on land.

Exactly. It is brought onto the ship by "sick people" - mostly unknowingly - making the ship sick.

This is a concept I tried to convey previously in the thread about Noro.

I am not sure how well it was received - many still prefer the "sick ship" scenario.

Perhaps because it makes it easier to assign the blame?

Edited by Paulchili

I hope someone posts on the current transatlantic crossing. I am interested if indeed the noro lightened up. We plan to do this leg in two years

It seems many times we hear about outbreaks they begin in late Spring and late Fall (with the change of seasons). The last on ship noro for us was an Infinity SA to Miami cruise that started in late March. The noro outbreak started on one of the Santiago to BA itineraries, three weeks before our cruise.

Marina seems to be in the same cycle except for the north hemispere onset of the cooler weather season.

I heard a dr talking about Noro on CBC due to the school outbreak in Toronto. He said they did a study where people actually volunteered to be exposed. They tested blood stool etc for extended periods. Some conclusions:

1. You are contagious up to three days before symptoms appear.

2. It comes on very quickly. As in fine one minute and not the next. Literally.

3. It can be picked up from any surface touched by a carrier. Enters body by mouth from hands most often.

4. It remains in stool for as long as 3 months after "recovery" so that person remains a carrier.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by potterhill

I heard a dr talking about Noro on CBC due to the school outbreak in Toronto. He said they did a study where people actually volunteered to be exposed. They tested blood stool etc for extended periods. Some conclusions:

1. You are contagious up to three days before symptoms appear.

2. It comes on very quickly. As in fine one minute and not the next. Literally.

3. It can be picked up from any surface touched by a carrier. Enters body by mouth from hands most often.

4. It remains in stool for as long as 3 months after "recovery" so that person remains a carrier.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mo

that is an interesting study pretty scary that anyone could be carrying the virus & not know it

I agree with #2 you are fine until you are not :eek:

We are in an area with several schools now affected ..

Edited by LHT28

The cruise director (Peter Roberts) has been making frequent announcements about proper hand cleaning, but other than that, all seems normal with dining rooms and table settings. Seas are smooth and weather warming up nicely.

On another topic, we are on Deck 7 aft and in our cabin there are 6 electrical outlets. Three outlets by the desk are North American, and one is European. The two outlets on either side of the bed are European. We don't recall this from the Riviera, or we would have brought adaptors, at least for the bedside outlets. Adaptors are available of course from the gift shop :)

Cheers,

Peter and Steph

The cruise director (Peter Roberts) has been making frequent announcements about proper hand cleaning, but other than that, all seems normal with dining rooms and table settings. Seas are smooth and weather warming up nicely.

On another topic, we are on Deck 7 aft and in our cabin there are 6 electrical outlets. Three outlets by the desk are North American, and one is European. The two outlets on either side of the bed are European. We don't recall this from the Riviera, or we would have brought adaptors, at least for the bedside outlets. Adaptors are available of course from the gift shop :)

Cheers,

Peter and Steph

Thanks for the good news

Cheers,

Peter and Steph

Glad noro is under control as we board on Dec 7 for 29, days that's very good news. Is Damien Lacroix the GM? We enjoy him very much and hope to see him on the ship.

Marianne & Dick (Nanoose Bay BC)

Cheers,

Peter and Steph

I think I've read there was a change on the layout of the outlets between Marina & Riviera, someone with the exact details will hopefully enlighten us on it.