On Marina now...

mpfund

I'm on board and no real updates since the last. Still have washroom doors propped open, staff wearing gloves es etc. I just overheard 3 women on the ice cream line at Waves grill complaining that crew were enforcing hand washing. Guy behind them told them there was an outbreak and the women looked clueless. Amazing how ignorant people can be despite the numerous announcements. I think the crew are doing a good job of trying to contain the situation while remaining upbeat.

Thank you for that! It's my husbands fault. :D He keeps saying Mariner (I guess because of our HAL status) and I keep correcting him. Guess it's rubbed off.

Now the question...Is it pronounced Marina, like a boat dock, or Ma-ren-a?

That's not at all what I implied.

What I was suggesting is that it is unlikely that the older generation are members of Cruise Critic. And therefore not aware of the problems that cruise ships have with this virus or any other illnesses. And they are not aware of some of the precautions that are mentioned on this forum. They go their merry way without realizing they need to take extra precautions. Something that all of us know and most hopefully abide by. ;)

I remember when we first starting cruising with my parents (then in their late 70's), I would make sure that they (experienced cruisers) were doing everything they could to prevent picking up germs from other passengers. I would watch someone sneeze into their hands, and then grab a utensil in the buffet. My dad would be right behind them and grab that same utensil without a thought.:rolleyes: That age generation is not as germ conscious (or phobic) as we are. And DH and I probably would not be so phobic if it were not for Cruise Critic and trying to travel healthy. LOL

And as for the age range on Oceania, on our shortened 10 night cruise, there were many more over the age of 80. Some even had nurses with them. But age aside, before the Code Red, I rarely saw anyone using the hand sanitizers. Even when they became mandatory, we saw many trying to refuse them. And because the doors were open, we saw people walking out of the bathrooms without washing their hands. I even saw an attendant do so. :eek:

So I hope you understand what I meant and so sorry that you felt offended with my post.

BTW - I do not consider age 73 as elderly. DH and I are not far behind you in age. ;)

Just one point, many of those younger persons you see with an older one on Oceania is not necessarily a nurse. Many times a spouse or companion. Sometimes a relative.

And yes, I've always heard it pronounced like a boat dock.

Edited by ORV

I just overheard 3 women on the ice cream line at Waves grill complaining that crew were enforcing hand washing. Guy behind them told them there was an outbreak and the women looked clueless. Amazing how ignorant people can be despite the numerous announcements.

My exact point when I stated that there is no such thing as a "sick ship" only sick people (and ignorant people that are part of spreading the virus).

😄 55-65 I would guess. They were actually annoyed at staff for having them use sanitizer when entering restaurants!

Maybe they DO NOT read the daily newsletter where it is noted daily about handwashing or use of the gel :eek:

I have met people near the end of the cruise that stumbled upon afternoon tea & were surprised to learn it happened everyday at 4pm ;)

I looked at the CDC website and there were 3 Riviera norovirus cruises this year and 1 last year. On one, 10% of the passengers were affected. Marina had one outbreak last year. I had no idea there were any outbreaks on Oceania. I am going on Marina in January and this bothers me since the third Riviera outbreak was a month after the second so it could reoccur in a later cruise. Was anyone who went on one of the norovirus cruises, given a warning of the previous outbreaks? Were you allowed to cancel without a penalty? Was there any compensation for the shortened cruises or for the inconvenience during the cruise?

I looked at the CDC website and there were 3 Riviera norovirus cruises this year and 1 last year. On one, 10% of the passengers were affected. Marina had one outbreak last year. I had no idea there were any outbreaks on Oceania.

Was there any compensation for the shortened cruises or for the inconvenience during the cruise?

Marina had more than 1 noro cruise but they were in Europe at the time

Yes people were given different deals depending on which cruise they were on

I looked at the CDC website and there were 3 Riviera norovirus cruises this year and 1 last year. On one, 10% of the passengers were affected. Marina had one outbreak last year. I had no idea there were any outbreaks on Oceania. I am going on Marina in January and this bothers me since the third Riviera outbreak was a month after the second so it could reoccur in a later cruise. Was anyone who went on one of the norovirus cruises, given a warning of the previous outbreaks? Were you allowed to cancel without a penalty? Was there any compensation for the shortened cruises or for the inconvenience during the cruise?

We were on B2B with code Red on Riviera last year. The only way we heard about the existing Noro on the previous cruise was to read it here. We had a 3 hour delay in embarking, and received the note from our TA the night before. However we knew a week ahead of time, but still went. As a half glass full person, I was still disappointed and personally would try to avoid another code Red/Noro cruise, and have 'cancel anytime' insurance.

Marina had more than 1 noro cruise but they were in Europe at the time

Yes people were given different deals depending on which cruise they were on

Thank you. How did you find out there were more than one outbreak on the Marina? I understand that Oceania is required to report an outbreak of disease to the CDC only when they come into a US port. A ship could go around many countries before coming back to the US. Are they required to report outbreaks to any foreign country?

We were on the Noro cruise that was shortened by 2 days last Feb. . We knew about the Noro for weeks before we left from a lot of postings on Cruise Critic but they kept saying the ship was being cleaned and things would be O.K. We had no offers to let us cancel without penalty by Oceania and were notified the day before of the delay in boarding. For our early return we got a 25% discount on that trip and a future cruise discount of 25% with a lot of restrictions. We did use the discount for a cruise last summer and at that time Riviera was perfectly clean. Since last March I have not heard of any Noro on any Oceania ships until this week. Cruise Critic seems to be the best way I know to find up to date info. about what is going on aboard most of the cruise ships on all cruise lines. Both good and bad. People post in real time from the ships just about everything we need to know. Good luck with your trip. Hope everything clears up. Good chance it will.

Edited by RJB

Thank you. How did you find out there were more than one outbreak on the Marina? I understand that Oceania is required to report an outbreak of disease to the CDC only when they come into a US port. A ship could go around many countries before coming back to the US. Are they required to report outbreaks to any foreign country?

I am sure they are, but are not required to notify the U.S. authorities. Last year Riviera was not allowed to dock in Bermuda because of an Noro outbreak and on our Feb. 12th cruise we delayed for about 3 hours in getting off in St. Marteen because of our Noro. They must have to report to those people, just not our CDC. I guess if they do not have to they won't. Not really a good thing for their U.S. customers. :mad::mad::mad:

Thank you. How did you find out there were more than one outbreak on the Marina? I understand that Oceania is required to report an outbreak of disease to the CDC only when they come into a US port.

We boarded in Montreal for the crossing in May 2015 by day 6 the subtle cleaning was starting

Fortunately or unfortunately DH had a medical issue & we got off the ship in N.S.

Arrived home late evening & by 4 am we were in the throws of it

We had friends still on the ship so found out it was noro going around ..several posted on subsequent cruises they were still trying to get it under control

You do not know you have it until you have it :eek:

JustBill, I resent your remark about the women being over 70. You are really an ignorant individual. Those who are over "70" made the age because they were smart enough to know what to do about hygiene. It is those who are under "70" who have created the viruses we suffer from.

JustBill, I resent your remark about the women being over 70. You are really an ignorant individual. Those who are over "70" made the age because they were smart enough to know what to do about hygiene. It is those who are under "70" who have created the viruses we suffer from.

I am not sure either position is true. I am over 70 and my bw is under 70 and i do not think either one of us created this condition. People who do not follow the proper sanitation rule create these problems. Age has in no created these problems. I am now going to have another drink and will be back later. Maybe..........

Edited by RJB

NO, it's not under control. All the safeguards that were in place are still in place. It is, indeed, under reported. We have met many people who have had it but did not go to the doctor. Good luck to those on the next cruise.

We boarded in Montreal for the crossing in May 2015 by day 6 the subtle cleaning was starting

Fortunately or unfortunately DH had a medical issue & we got off the ship in N.S.

Arrived home late evening & by 4 am we were in the throws of it

We had friends still on the ship so found out it was noro going around ..several posted on subsequent cruises they were still trying to get it under control

You do not know you have it until you have it :eek:

Marina was clean by the end of June 2015, we were on in July 2015 with no indication of a problem. We've been on Riviera for 2 weeks now, less than a week behind Marina but with some different ports visited, all seems normal on board.

There was a news article 2 days ago about 350 people becoming I'll with the virus in UK from eating in a chain of Mexican restaurants...would think there would be a higher risk in restaurants in Med ports.

Edited by arima22

About Noro / gastrointestinal- just heard that those continuing on from Rome are getting a free Rome tour. If you don't leave the ship, you have to stay in Horizons. This is so they can be as sure as possible that the ship is clean for anyone joining the ship in Rome.

Please note that this info comes via my husband who chatted with someone who is continuing on past Rome. We ourselves disembark in Rome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

People who do not follow the proper sanitation rule create these problems.
Enough. A virus creates/causes this problem; specifically the Norovirus.

People who spread it and contract it do so because of the same reason, inadequate sanitation precautions and IMO are equally at fault.

If I get a virus, it's my fault for not taking proper precautions since that is the only person over which I have control. These precautions need to happen all the time because by the time one does know they have it (Norovirus or other virus), they most likely have had the virus for close to 48 hours. So waiting to start taking precautions until then won't keep you from getting it nor will it have prevented you from sharing it.

BTW, even taking proper precautions we can still end up getting it because we all tend to slip up from time to time and we don't have full control of our surroundings. I know I've had food poisoning (50% of cases are actually Norovirus from food) and the stomach flu (also Norovirus). It happens, we deal with it, and life does on. BTW, I've also had e-coli food poisoning a few years ago which makes other food poisoning/stomach flu/Noro look like a walk in the park.

The only way to avoid any of it is to totally isolate, don't eat raw fresh foods (lettuce, fruit, etc), do your own cooking and cleaning, never have company, don't cruise, fly, or otherwise leave your controlled environment, but that's hardly living IMO.

Yes, having a ship on code red and constant cleaning takes away from the ambiance of the cruise, but it is nice to see the ship taking every step they can to minimize the spread and attempt to control the outbreak. I'll be on Marina starting the 21st and am looking forward to the cruise no matter what the situation is. I hope I don't slip up. I guess I'll have to stop at an English bookstore before I board to buy some books.

This cruise with Jacques Pepin has been great despite me getting the noro virus. Jacques Pepin is ver approachable and very friendly. We have gone to all of his lectures and he very good and very informative and entertaining. Have learned several simple things that I never knew, despite cooking for decades!

Would cruise with him again.