On Marina now...

mpfund

I'm not asking or giving medical advice here (!) -- like anyone would listen to me anyway -- but as to the flu shot in the arm, that's where I've always received it and have NEVER had any arm pain afterwards. (Just a note, the pharmacists are far better at giving painless shots than any nurse in my doctor's office was.)

When I was 10 I had to get a typhoid shot for a road trip to Mexico and my arm ached terribly for a couple of days. I couldn't even move. But when I got the typhoid shot as an adult 20 years later, it was nothing. Not sure how apropos that is ...

Not looking forward to yellow fever ... the shot, I mean!

Mura

Mura

I just had the yellow fever shot about six weeks ago - hardly hurt when I was getting it, and just a little sore for a few days. Thinking that's a lot better than having yellow fever!:rolleyes:

Yes, that's what I've been thinking.

I'm over the age where it is recommended BUT -- three years ago when we were going to Brazil (but not the tropical areas) my doctor advised against the shot. When I told her we'll be in Dakar in April, she felt that I SHOULD.

So that's what we'll probably do.

I don't have a problem with the malaria pills, we've done that before with no problem.

I also renewed my tetanus shot but was surprised that Medicare wouldn't pay for it. Does anyone have any idea why not?

Mura

Good question, Paul.

No, it was not. I was long overdue.

However, the problem could have been that the last time I had the tetanus was BEFORE I was on Medicare ... so they didn't have a record of my previous shot.

I paid the bill but it's worth asking the question.

Mura

i cannot speak to Medicare's denial of a tetanus vaccination but third party payers rarely reimburse for travel immunizations. The claim will be denied as a Non covered benefit.

Payer claim systems are set up to pay or deny based on the billed diagnosis. if a tetanus shot is billed with an injury diagnosis it will pay. If a tetanus shot or immunization is billed with a travel status code it will be denied.

Travel clinics we've used advised us that payment was expected at the time of service. The travel nurse had a credit card device in the exam room.

We had no physical discomfort after a yellow fever injection. The only pain was to the wallet.

The medical assistant that gave me my flu shot told me it was an intramuscular shot, and could be given in either spot. I chose my hip. Having been a medical assistant for over 15 years in my past life LOL, I don't really see why it wouldn't work, I just think people are used to getting it in their arm. Especially if you get it in a clinic setting. I certainly hope it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

admitted that there are cases of g.i. on board. Did not use the word "noro". They are now wiping down the walls with the disinfectant slime. No snacks served in the bars. If this gets worse we will seriously consider departing early.

I'm not asking or giving medical advice here (!) -- like anyone would listen to me anyway -- but as to the flu shot in the arm, that's where I've always received it and have NEVER had any arm pain afterwards. (Just a note, the pharmacists are far better at giving painless shots than any nurse in my doctor's office was.)

When I was 10 I had to get a typhoid shot for a road trip to Mexico and my arm ached terribly for a couple of days. I couldn't even move. But when I got the typhoid shot as an adult 20 years later, it was nothing. Not sure how apropos that is ...

Mura

I agree with you Mura about the pharmacist giving me the shot, painless. This year I had a complete PE and the nurse gave it to me. Arm was painful for two days. Couldn't sleep on my side.

i cannot speak to Medicare's denial of a tetanus vaccination but third party payers rarely reimburse for travel immunizations. The claim will be denied as a Non covered benefit.

Payer claim systems are set up to pay or deny based on the billed diagnosis. if a tetanus shot is billed with an injury diagnosis it will pay. If a tetanus shot or immunization is billed with a travel status code it will be denied......

For the record, my tetanus injection was at the same time as a wellness visit with my doctor. United Healthcare doesn't know we're planning a trip, at least not in this connection. I fully expect that the yellow fever will cost us! But tetanus is something you're supposed to have every 10 years, so I just assumed it would be covered -- even if only partially.

When I got my shingles injection three years ago my co-pay was on the order of $90, but the pneumonia injection I got at the same time as the tetanus was completely covered.

I'll never figure it out ...

Mura

library bookshelves locked, no papers/menus in executive/ lounges, aggressive cleaning in Terraces. We spoke to Reception as we are booked on next cruise (starting tomorrow) and may have to make plans to leave early. Reception told us would have med center call us --I am not holding my breath. Btw, reception did use word noro.

How about telling us what you like about your cruise and not what you fear might/might not happen. Stay in the present joy of being on a cruise!

It is hard to like very much when you see all that is going around the ship. Not what you signed up for. Hope all the cleaning will stop any further progress of the noro and the ship will be clean for the next cruise. I am sure the crew is working very hard to do this. Good luck.

How about telling us what you like about your cruise and not what you fear might/might not happen. Stay in the present joy of being on a cruise!

If you've ever been on a cruise where you suspect all the cleaning around you is the result of noro, it's kind of hard to focus on the positive. We were on the Riveria in February 2016 and although neither my husband nor I were sick while on board, all that cleaning makes it difficult to ignore. My husband however did get sick about 12 hours after getting off the ship and that norovirus is nasty so I can understand the poster's concern.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by m1k2s3

library bookshelves locked, no papers/menus in executive/ lounges, aggressive cleaning in Terraces. We spoke to Reception as we are booked on next cruise (starting tomorrow) and may have to make plans to leave early. Reception told us would have med center call us --I am not holding my breath. Btw, reception did use word noro.

Sure hope you and DH do not pick it up this time. Let us know what you do. I am little confused why Medical is calling you, though. :confused:

Has there been any talk of the next cruise being delayed, or even cancelled?

It is hard to like very much when you see all that is going around the ship. Not what you signed up for. Hope all the cleaning will stop any further progress of the noro and the ship will be clean for the next cruise. I am sure the crew is working very hard to do this. Good luck.

I agree!

chrismch - Have you ever been on a Noro cruise?

Sure hope you and DH do not pick it up this time. Let us know what you do. I am little confused why Medical is calling you, though. :confused:

Has there been any talk of the next cruise being delayed, or even cancelled?

I agree!

chrismch - Have you ever been on a Noro cruise?

Being in Venice Oceania would have a hard time in delaying their next cruise. They would need many hundreds of hotel rooms and would have to round up a lot of cleaning crews, if they can find them. Between the rock and hard place. Last Feb. when they brought Riviera back 2 days early to Miami it was their HQ and there are many more rooms available and Oceania knew how to get them. The CDC and many workers were waiting for the ship and it still took 2 days to clean the ship. They will have to find a way to work thru this if it really is a big outbreak. Still hoping that the noro if it is noro will be contained by the crew. No official word has come down and they do not have to report this to the CDC since they are not docking at a U.S port. Hoping for the best.

oh dear..the next two itineraries are Jacques Pepin hosted, so I am sure Oceania will do their very best to ensure that all guests are able to enjoy their cruise. Imagine the negative publicity if this "uber foodie" cruise is tainted with the noro

illness. I'm counting on you Oceania to pull out all the stops and nip this situation in the bud. Also, I'm counting on all present and future voyagers to do their bit i.e hand washing, truthfully filling in pre-boarding questionnaires,etc.etc

Wishing you all well.

PS I will be boarding the Marina in 21 days and will have my clorox peroxide wipes with me..aint leaving home without it..lol

Yes, I have been on a noro cruise and still had a wonderful time. How? First off, I laughed and joked with the crew. They had enough stress from the other passengers about not being able to touch salt shakers or reach for food and being curt with them. Second, I paid attention to doing the hand washing and cleaning.

I've also been seasick on a cruise and after getting a shot from the infirmary felt better 24 hours later. Now I know when to take those wonderful pills that make all the difference.

What's worse than being on a noro cruise? How about being on a transatlantic flight and having diarrhea and vomiting for 8 hours. Felt a little queasy before the flight, but had no issues. Came down with the problem 10 minutes into the flight. Had I been on a cruise, I could have at least curled up in my cabin, got room service and snuggled in bed between bathroom visits and watched movies.

I've been on one, but was not sick. We had a good time, but the cruise was not what we expected as we were first timers.

Being in Venice Oceania would have a hard time in delaying their next cruise. .

I did not realize where the ship was. Wish we had an update! :confused:

Nothing new to report...everything the same. CD states ship is "healthy" and encourages much hand washing. Concierge/Exec lounge still have no papers or menus and attendant states this is "precautionary" but that ship is "healthy. When I expressed doubt that it could be both ways at once, I got more party line.

Laundry room open and that is a good sign. Perhaps influx of new pax has corrected the problem.

Note to Iamthesea, I had requested info re number of cases a few days ago and reception said they would ask med center to contact me with that info. Needless to say we have heard nothing.

Yes, I have been on a noro cruise and still had a wonderful time. How? First off, I laughed and joked with the crew. They had enough stress from the other passengers about not being able to touch salt shakers or reach for food and being curt with them. Second, I paid attention to doing the hand washing and cleaning.

I've also been seasick on a cruise and after getting a shot from the infirmary felt better 24 hours later. Now I know when to take those wonderful pills that make all the difference.

What's worse than being on a noro cruise? How about being on a transatlantic flight and having diarrhea and vomiting for 8 hours. Felt a little queasy before the flight, but had no issues. Came down with the problem 10 minutes into the flight. Had I been on a cruise, I could have at least curled up in my cabin, got room service and snuggled in bed between bathroom visits and watched movies.

Ugh..my worst nightmare

Nothing new to report...everything the same. CD states ship is "healthy" and encourages much hand washing. Concierge/Exec lounge still have no papers or menus and attendant states this is "precautionary" but that ship is "healthy. When I expressed doubt that it could be both ways at once, I got more party line.

Laundry room open and that is a good sign. Perhaps influx of new pax has corrected the problem.

Note to Iamthesea, I had requested info re number of cases a few days ago and reception said they would ask med center to contact me with that info. Needless to say we have heard nothing.

Well I hope that Oceania is telling the truth and not downplaying, until they no longer could, like they did for our cruise last February. :rolleyes: I believe when they try to keep an illness under wraps, the passengers are less cautious. I agree that having the laundry room open is a positive sign!

My wish is that you have a fabulous second half of your cruise! :)

Who is your Cruise Director and Hotel Manager?