Anthem 10/20 Review

WMQueenie

Would we sail on Anthem of the Seas again? Not really sure...

We are in our young 60's. This was our 10th cruise in as many years. Cruising has become our favorite vacation. I am going to list what we liked and did not like...

Like -

Check in was a breeze. Arrived at Port Liberty at 10:50, dropped off luggage and parked in the garage within 15 minutes. Walked into the terminal, waited in a short line for an agent with a tablet, was checked in and onboard in what seemed like minutes.

We booked a balcony guarantee about 2 months out and was assigned cabin 6552 (D8), bed near the balcony. We went to our cabin right at 1:00 and our luggage was already there! LOVED the cabin and the location. We were steps from the elevators and stairs. The cabin was very spacious as was the "small" balcony! It was the largest balcony we ever had! The cabin is tastefully decorated and every inch is utilized. The bathroom is even spacious. We never met our steward nor did we ever find out his/her name. However, the room was spotless the entire time. Whoever that was did a great job every day.

Shows were excellent. I loved Spectra's Cabaret. We will Rock You was a little long but if you like Queen, you'll like the show. The comedians were great. The entertainers in the lounges were very good.

Loved Two70. Loved the seating and the technology and the huge windows looked aft.

Crew worked their butts off with a smile. Never ran into a cranky crew member. All were friendly.

Loved the cruise director - Dru Pavlov and his crew...except for the guy he did the morning show with every day - the activities manager, I think. I could never understand him and found him annoying.

It was nice to see the Captain out and about a lot. Saw him several times interacting with the passengers.

Technology was awesome. Love the tapping of your cabin key to open the door or "login" to a slot machine. The Royal IQ App is awesome! Wish all ships had that technology! Only thing I couldn't find on it was restaurant hours, otherwise it was great.

Did Not Like -

No food after 9PM. Except for Sorrento's Pizza and Café Promenade. The pizza in Sorrento's is pretty bad and the sandwiches in the Promenade are a joke. There is only water and coffee available to drink at these two places. Other cruises we've been on had food available in one section of the buffet from 9:30 to midnight. There should be more food options for the people staying up late and drinking all night.

Speaking of drinking. The drink prices are pretty high! We did not buy a beverage package because I didn't think it would pay for itself. I am a "social" drinker but do like to have a few drinks on vacation. We had $400 OBC so I thought we had it covered. We did, thanks to getting the port fees for Bermuda refunded. For example...one Bloody Mary in the morning cost $11.00plus 18% service charge = $12.98! Beer was $6.50 for a Bud Light. Maybe I don't get out much but that seems a bit high.

Chair hogs were in full force. Hundreds of lounge chairs and every single one of them had a towel on it. Speaking of chairs....there aren't any...meaning a chair, not a lounge chair. DH and I always like to sit at a table and chair near the pool area and watch the activities. There are no tables and chairs, except a couple directly in front of the bar.

Another big deal to us... not enough outdoor space (sounds funny to say that about a cruise ship)...only the main pool which is always mobbed. The other two pool areas are covered, which is nice on bad weather days but it seemed hot and stuffy on most days. Uncomfortable to just sit around in (if you could find a place to sit)...fine if you're swimming but just to sit and enjoy the outside, no. So happy we had a balcony...used it more than we ever had on past cruises.

Back to food - We had Classic Dining at 8:30. First night was in the Grande which was great because we do not bring formal clothes and on the first and last night it is not required. Our waiter and assistant were great. Our table was not. I requested a "table" for 2 and we had a table for 2, 8" of space and another table of 2, so it basically was a table for 4. We hate that. Sorry folks, but we like to eat together-alone. When you are practically rubbing elbows with the people at the next table, it is not a table for 2. We were lucky that our tablemates did not show up until night #3. And they were late so we were almost finished so it wasn't so bad. We did not return to the dining rooms after that. Nothing against them, just didn't want to eat with them every night and listen to their personal conversation. When we saw the table setup on the first night I asked for another table, the waiter got the maitre d' who quite bluntly told us that was our table and that was that.

The Windjammer....well....the food was repetitious and pretty boring. Nothing was that flavorful. DH is a foodie and gives compliments where compliments are due and he had nothing good to say. Except for the mashed potatoes which were are every lunch and every dinner. He did like those. I found myself wandering around in circles looking at the same food in a different area over and over again. Nothing appealed to me. A lot of lamb and turkey on the carving station. Hamburgers and hot dogs were good. Breakfast was a mob scene. Always found a table but we ate alone because one of us had to sit there while the other got food...at least it seemed that way. Service was excellent. Food...meh.

We ate several breakfasts in the Solarium Bistro, which is a mini buffet, mainly because it was much quieter than the Windjammer. The only sit down breakfast was in the Grande for a whopping 90 minutes (8-9:30). So you have 4,500 people ready for breakfast and one sit down option in a restaurant that seats maybe 400, if that? We tried to go there too but guess what? There was a long line...

In closing, the Anthem is a beautiful ship full of wonderful technology and a great crew. There were several things that felt different to us...lack of chairs, lack of outdoor space, no food after 9. I know this sounds like we didn't have a good time, don't get me wrong, we did. I just want to be open and honest about our cruise experience to maybe help someone out there trying to make a decision on which ship to choose. Would we sail on the Anthem again? Probably not. It's not for us but I'm sure it's for plenty of others.

Thanks for listening. Happy to answer any questions.

I was also there 10/20 - 10/29. I agree with everything you stated. My wife and I would need to arrive at Solarium or at the outdoor pool very early in the morning just to get a chair. Im talking around 7-8am. Any time after that it is too crowded. They also have signs posted that if a chair is left unattended for more than 30 minutes , even with a towel on it, a crew member will take the items and have the chair available for other guests. Well the sign is all good for those who abide by it. Which was hardly anyone. And the crew did not actively enforce that rule from what I saw.

I usually dont expect much from the Windjammer based on previous cruises so I knew what to expect. I'll rate the windjammer a good 7/10. The Grande was definitely the best restaurant out of the complimentary ones. Chic was a close second. Silk and American Icon were okay. Sorrento's and Cafe Promenade were definitely lackluster. I know its supposed to be quick food but it left more to be desired. Chops Grill was fantastic. Def worth the money.

The tables in these restaurants are definitely a little too close. I dont mind socializing on occasion but If im having a conversation with my wife, even whispering to her, I dont want the other table knowing my business. I understand they are trying to fit as many people as possible but it takes away from having a somewhat romantic/intimate dinner.

Everything else was great and there are plenty of activities to partake in. I would only sail Anthem again if the ports would be different out of Bayonne which im sure I'll be on the lookout for.

I'll give Anthem a 8/10. Its not bad but a few improvements could be made.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the same cruise as well, I agree about windjammer lunch, but then i just went to 270 after that and they were awesome, even breakfast and never busy when I went. I loved everything, pizza tasted fine to me but I only had it when I was drunk so you know it as drunk taste buds lol Loved the crew and they all knew my name by the middle of the week lol My biggest complaint actually was the bed, hard as a rock! But other than that great crowd and great time and my favorite schooner bar bartender of all time.

I was also on the Anthem 10/20, actually my 5th time. I think there is plenty of outdoor space. Deck 15 has loungers completely around the whole deck. Deck 14, the pool deck, has outdoor areas, with regular cushioned chairs, not loungers, in the shade. There is also outdoor space on deck 5.

There were always plenty of loungers on deck 15 no matter what time you got there, and I was always able to get a lounger in the Solarium, but that's probably because it was usually just me.

I agree with the tables being close together in the dining rooms, but I like to socialize at dinner, so it's fine for me. I'm in the minority and am sorry to see Dynamic Dinning ending. I loved picking the time and restaurant to eat at each night.

What bothers me is that the WJ closes at 3 in the afternoon for lunch, especially on port days.

What disappointed me the most was the lack of a tribute band in the Music Hall, that has always been one of the highlights on Anthem and Quantum. We were supposed to have Beatlemaniacs, but I was told they have stopped the tribute bands for the rest of the year. The house band Rock the Boat was excellent though.

Our 14th cruise was on the Anthem and we loved it. We also request a table for 2. And that is what we want, not another table a few inches from us! We have learned to ask for a "private" table for 2 & that usually does the trick!

Marg

I can't wait to sail on this ship next September. Too far away! Nice even handed reviews I think, still can't wait to sail on her. I just love how RCL designs ships and utilizes space.

You're definitely going to have a wonderful time. The ship is indeed impressive and advanced as Quantum ships are. Enjoy!

You're definitely going to have a wonderful time. The ship is indeed impressive and advanced as Quantum ships are. Enjoy!

Thanks I know I will, but its just TOO long a wait. We need to start doing 2 cruises a year somehow.

I fully agree about all the low seating on Anthem. Sailed with my 70+ year old parents on the Anthem 10/1 and found that the really low seating everywhere was difficult for their old knees to deal with. Even the cushioned deck chairs were too low. I meant to mention that on the end of cruise survey but completely forgot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I never write cruise reviews, so I hope you don't mind if I add a few comments to your review OP. We were on this cruise also and agree with just about everything you have stated. I must say that after waiting so long for this cruise, we were a little disappointed and even though we are so close to the cruise port, we will probably never sail the Anthem again. My added points:

Chair hogs on Game day. They were "supposed" to be airing the Giant game from London. (which they never did...angry crowd). Chair hogs on pool deck as early as 6am saving seats. (game was to air at 9:30am). The problem??? The screen is facing the Starboard side of the ship!!!!! Anyone sitting on Port side, could not see the screen for ANYTHING. No games, no movies, the morning show, nothing. WTH???? I have never seen a screen on the SIDE of the ship. It is always on the end so everyone can see it.

The Aft pool was mobbed everyday. They never opened the retractable ceiling even once in the mid pool or solarium. It was hot, humid and unbearable to sit in. They were both comparable to green houses.....hence...everyone crammed into the aft pool.

Not that this matters or effects one's cruise, but there were 5 Alpha's called.....two major fist fights.....two families thrown off the ship. (one in St. Maarten and one in Puerto Rico. We had a medi-vac try to land on the ship soon after leaving Labadee, but was unable. (at least that was what we saw, but have no info on this)

Our order of restaurants: The Grande, Chic, American Icon and lastly, Silk. Silk is just awful. The waitstaff seems to not know what they are doing. How is this possible? We cancelled our 2nd reservation with them.

I could be wrong, but I thought I read that there was no Starbucks? There is and it is included in the drink package. We had it everyday.

Staff was wonderful. Never saw our room steward after the first day of introductions, but our cabin was always perfect. Embarkation and self-disembarkation were a breeze. In the car at 8am.

Entertainment was good, but as stated on YorkVillians review, "Not Really the Three Tenors" BLEW everyone away. I looked them up on-line and they are going to appear on many Celebrity Cruises.

We met many wonderful people....which is the reason we had a blast. Honestly, we were not wowed by this ship. Yes, 270 is beautiful, but to us, it is an enormous place to sit inside. Who wants to sit inside? Millions of dollars spent for a techno room. I would rather have seen this space used for "outside" activities.

As I stated before..we had a great time, but this is due to the company we kept. We will most likely not cruise the Anthem again. :(

I never write cruise reviews, so I hope you don't mind if I add a few comments to your review OP. We were on this cruise also and agree with just about everything you have stated. I must say that after waiting so long for this cruise, we were a little disappointed and even though we are so close to the cruise port, we will probably never sail the Anthem again. My added points:

Chair hogs on Game day. They were "supposed" to be airing the Giant game from London. (which they never did...angry crowd). Chair hogs on pool deck as early as 6am saving seats. (game was to air at 9:30am). The problem??? The screen is facing the Starboard side of the ship!!!!! Anyone sitting on Port side, could not see the screen for ANYTHING. No games, no movies, the morning show, nothing. WTH???? I have never seen a screen on the SIDE of the ship. It is always on the end so everyone can see it.

The Aft pool was mobbed everyday. They never opened the retractable ceiling even once in the mid pool or solarium. It was hot, humid and unbearable to sit in. They were both comparable to green houses.....hence...everyone crammed into the aft pool.

Not that this matters or effects one's cruise, but there were 5 Alpha's called.....two major fist fights.....two families thrown off the ship. (one in St. Maarten and one in Puerto Rico. We had a medi-vac try to land on the ship soon after leaving Labadee, but was unable. (at least that was what we saw, but have no info on this)

Our order of restaurants: The Grande, Chic, American Icon and lastly, Silk. Silk is just awful. The waitstaff seems to not know what they are doing. How is this possible? We cancelled our 2nd reservation with them.

I could be wrong, but I thought I read that there was no Starbucks? There is and it is included in the drink package. We had it everyday.

Staff was wonderful. Never saw our room steward after the first day of introductions, but our cabin was always perfect. Embarkation and self-disembarkation were a breeze. In the car at 8am.

Entertainment was good, but as stated on YorkVillians review, "Not Really the Three Tenors" BLEW everyone away. I looked them up on-line and they are going to appear on many Celebrity Cruises.

We met many wonderful people....which is the reason we had a blast. Honestly, we were not wowed by this ship. Yes, 270 is beautiful, but to us, it is an enormous place to sit inside. Who wants to sit inside? Millions of dollars spent for a techno room. I would rather have seen this space used for "outside" activities.

As I stated before..we had a great time, but this is due to the company we kept. We will most likely not cruise the Anthem again. :(

Thank you for your added comments. I couldn't agree more. Although we did love 270, I agree about more outside activities. Missed eating outside! We always sail out of NYC/NJ, (once out of Boston) but I don't see us returning to the Anthem.

Thank you for your added comments. I couldn't agree more. Although we did love 270, I agree about more outside activities. Missed eating outside! We always sail out of NYC/NJ, (once out of Boston) but I don't see us returning to the Anthem.

I feel bad writing negative things about the Anthem. We all went to the port excited and happy to be going on a family cruise together. I have never had a bad cruise and have never been on a ship that was disappointing. I now understand why the reviews remain at 48% for the past year or so. I am truly happy and respect anyone that loves this ship.....just wasn't for us and I now know why people from NJ want the Explorer back.

Thanks for your honest review. We were on the 10/1 sailing and overall really liked the ship. We love that this ship is made for all weather. We are booked again for Anthem on 2/19. Happy Cruising! :)

Edited by Moltar

I feel bad writing negative things about the Anthem. We all went to the port excited and happy to be going on a family cruise together. I have never had a bad cruise and have never been on a ship that was disappointing. I now understand why the reviews remain at 48% for the past year or so. I am truly happy and respect anyone that loves this ship.....just wasn't for us and I now know why people from NJ want the Explorer back.

LOVED the Explorer and would love to see it come back!

By the way, we didn't mind the firmness of the bed! We have an extra firm mattress at home so the bed was fine for us! I slept like a baby!

LOVED the Explorer and would love to see it come back!

By the way, we didn't mind the firmness of the bed! We have an extra firm mattress at home so the bed was fine for us! I slept like a baby!

OMG! I meant to mention the beds and forgot. I am not a sleeper, at ALL. This is the first time in many, many years that I have slept like a baby. I wanted to pack the mattress in my suitcase. :D:eek::D

hey guys - I'm also tagging on a little bit.

Chair hogs were something else, even on deck 15. Then of course they closed deck 15 after Labadee. We were up at the North Star bar and all of the sudden they were telling people they were closing it - maybe around 7ish? We saw the helicopter that couldn't complete the medivac because of the wind. Hopefully the person was ok. We had heard one of the alpha calls was a stroke.

I did like how they had the side window things that would open in the Solarium. We sat by one and it made it much better in there.

Even though we have a firm mattress at home, the bed was rock hard. We were in a regular balcony, so not sure if they might be better in other rooms. By night 4 I could no longer sleep through the night because of the pain in my hip from the beds.

Hopefully tonight I'll have some time because I want to write up a short review of our experience. We had a nice time I have another trip booked in April for dh's birthday, we are currently deciding whether or not to keep it.

Anthem was designed for colder weather sailings. The indoor pool and Solarium are perfect for this. We loved Silk, the waiters could not have been better, especially worrying about my food allergies! We do prefer Oasis and Allure but not flying has its perks.

Anthem was designed for colder weather sailings. The indoor pool and Solarium are perfect for this. We loved Silk, the waiters could not have been better, especially worrying about my food allergies! We do prefer Oasis and Allure but not flying has its perks.

Yes, we all know this, but when it is 95 degrees out, the retractable's should be open. They were both closed for 9 days straight. Now I know what cremation feels like. I am glad you enjoyed Silk. Just wasn't for us. Agree that Oasis and Allure is the best!!!!:)

I have to say I loved the food, our waiter did say a lot of people dont like Silk, but as with the others I liked everything I had and the waitstaff was phenomenal. I only didnt like most of the desserts, but food was great. I would sail anthem again to try and get to Bermuda, I do prefer Oasis clas but I can only afford one a cruise a year so I manage to always have a good time no matter the ship! There were 11 of us on this cruise and we all came off raving about it.

I have to say I loved the food, our waiter did say a lot of people dont like Silk, but as with the others I liked everything I had and the waitstaff was phenomenal. I only didnt like most of the desserts, but food was great. I would sail anthem again to try and get to Bermuda, I do prefer Oasis clas but I can only afford one a cruise a year so I manage to always have a good time no matter the ship! There were 11 of us on this cruise and we all came off raving about it.

We liked Silk too. I think it may have depended on the menu options the night you were there. We had wonton soup, I had duck and my dh had some kind of steak. We were talking to another group and one couple was there the night we were and they loved it, the other couple was there a different night and didn't care for it. I thought the room was pretty too although some people don't like the décor either.