Chargers in room for Glory or Magic

thursdaysrecords

From what I have read there is only one outlet in a room. Since I can't take a power strip with surge protector what should I bring to charge my laptop and camera, phone. I have a laptop with a usb extension but it charges slow.

Any recommendations on what I should bring that can be plugged into the wall outlet. Thanks!

From what I have read there is only one outlet in a room. Since I can't take a power strip with surge protector what should I bring to charge my laptop and camera, phone. I have a laptop with a usb extension but it charges slow.

Any recommendations on what I should bring that can be plugged into the wall outlet. Thanks!

all ships have at least two plugs. One US and One International. Buy a cheap European plug adapter, often less than $5.00 and you have a second plug for you phone, and camera.

This is my current favorite. It has four outlets, plus two USB ports. Best part is that you can turn it to suit the direction of the plugs. On MSC Divina, they were sideways! I got mine at Radio Shack, but you can get them online, Amazon, etc. Just Google 'power cube'. Be careful, as they come in different configurations, with and without the USB ports, and also with/without surge protection.

DSC00255_zpsk6klrqwp.jpg

DSC00254_zpsjy6mbn9y.jpg

My sister added a dual USB plug to it, which also added a nightlight...

DSC00257_zpsnwjppfvg.jpg

I also like this one which is not surge protected, shown with my sister's added plug.

DSC00256_zpsc2m9t76y.jpg:

It has a light that changes color as your items charge. EM

That appears to be a Belkin power strip with surge protector. It should not be used if that is correct.

You're right. If I had a dollar for every time I saw a pic of that blasted thing with people saying they have used it on all their cruises with no issues and don't understand what all the fuss is, blah, blah, blah I could take a cruise for free I'm sure!

That one is only to be used for shavers hence the pic of the man (I'm hoping) with the whiskers right by it along with the words that say as such.

Have used it for years to charge phone with no problems.

why do you see I should only use it for shavers? Other than water in the neighborhood I am thinking.

why do you see I should only use it for shavers? Other than water in the neighborhood I am thinking.

It's simply a low powered outlet. It'll charge anything that doesn't draw lots of power. Too bad I can't reach it.

Edited by SadieN

Well that's what it says. I'm guessing it has to do with the amount of power it can handle or put out. I usually don't question the reasoning behind what the ship's signs say. They must be there for a reason as someone smarter than me made that determination.

That one is only to be used for shavers hence the pic of the man (I'm hoping) with the whiskers right by it along with the words that say as such.

Keep in mind the receptacle in the bathroom is usually on only when the light is on.......:rolleyes:

some devices are more tolerant of power variations than other devices. My phone charger that I am looking at now for instance will accept anything from 100 to 240 Volts from 50 to 60 Hz. it draws .4 amps. If you use something less tolerant with the incorrect input you can have a problem, worst case it may catch fire.

DSC00256_zpsc2m9t76y.jpg[/url]:

It has a light that changes color as your items charge. EM

The last 2 ships I was on that would not have worked. The plug itself was recessed from the wall. There would be no way to plug it in.

DH uses cpap' date=' is the plug near the bed? All our extensions have surge protectors![/quote']

There are lots of threads on the subject of the hazards of surge protectors on a ship. An extension cord will be provided at no charge for your CPAP if you contact Carnival. A surge protector is not only unnecessary on a cruise ship, but can potentially cause damage to your CPAP should it fail and catch on fire or overheat. Please find a simple strip without surge protection or contact Carnival and have them lend you one that is safe.

The plug is not near the bed, it is on the wall by the vanity which is why an extension cord is needed.

Edited by firemanbobswife

The last 2 ships I was on that would not have worked. The plug itself was recessed from the wall. There would be no way to plug it in.

Some thing like this which goes from 3 prong US to 3 prong US would take care of the recessed outlet:

http://www.truevalue.com/product/Electrical-Lighting/Taps-Adapters/Taps-Cube/Clear-Lighted-End-Grounding-Adapter/pc/4/c/59/sc/528/22620.uts

$1.99 at True Value