Civitavecchia

JojoJane

Can anyone give me any advice on boarding a ship in Civitavecchia. We will be stopping in Civitavecchia the night before our cruise and I wondered how difficult it is to gain access to the port itself and how we get on board? Is it possible to walk from the sea front to the port? Help please!

If you look on the Italy board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

you will find lots of info.

You can walk in the port, but it is not generally recommended. Rather, there is a free shuttle at the front gate to each ship.

Or, if you are coming by taxi or private limo type service, they can take you direct to your ship, as can the buses the cruise lines use.

You can walk to the port entrance in about 10-15 minutes from the train station. From there you board a port shuttle that will take you to your ship. With luggage it is often easier to take a taxi which can pull right up to the ship loading area. But it is certainly walkable if you prefer that and don't have cumbersome luggage. I will try and repost if I can find the port guide in pictures...

...eta.here it is:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/rome_civitavecchia_08-07-2012.pdf

Edited by cherylandtk

First of all, we stayed in Rome near the trains station for 2 nights before boarding the train to Civitavecchia. Yeah trying to save a few dollars. The train at that time was only 9 Euros each, an about an hour plus ride to the port. Nice savings... However the taxi from the train depot, to the port was 20 Euros for a 5 minute ride.. We decided to walk with all of our luggage for a 14 night sailing.

BIG MISTAKE!!! It is not a 15-20 minute walk when struggling with your bags.

By the time we got to the shuttle for the port, we were exhausted. ( Should have taken the taxi ) This is our experience as 2 North American travelers, who were both 65 years old at the time. Needless to say that we did not save any money , as my bar bill for the first day on the ship exceeded any savings...

Hope you have a much better experience than we did... John

Make sure any replies you read are referring to the new shuttle stop on Via Turco, which is about 800 metres from the old stop. I'm not sure if walking out to the ship is actually prohibited, but it's not advised.

The bus from the train station to the shuttle is 2 euros. Walking from the train station to the shuttle stop takes from 30 minutes to 3 hours depending on the number of cappuccinos consumed enroute. BTW, I'm a 67 year old North American.

Edited by Dancer Bob

You can walk to the port entrance in about 10-15 minutes from the train station. From there you board a port shuttle that will take you to your ship.
It's one mile from the train station to the Via Turco shuttle bus stop. Although it's a flat walk with sidewalks most of the way, I suspect that it will take most people twice this amount of time on foot, especially with luggage.

Note that the train station at Civitavecchia does not have elevators so odds are that you will need to climb down a full flight of stairs and up the other side with your bags. If you travel light this won't be an issue.

We walked to the port entrance from the train. That wasn't too fun, but paled in comparison to our BIG mistake, which was that due to construction or something, we managed to miss the port shuttle stop. Instead we found ourselves in the port, and ended up walking all the way to the ship because we couldn't figure out what else to do. It was really, really horrible trying to walk through the port, in the heat, with our luggage. And we generally packed light and were in our late 30s at the time.

People spend thousands on the cruise fare and then fret over the 20-100 $ or € it takes to get from A to B in a taxi. I'll never understand that logic.

In any case, OP should have their hotel concierge arrange a private transfer.

Nor will I understand why people will fly all the way to Rome to board a ship and not build in a couple of days to see something of that amazing city before their cruise.

We took the train from Rome to Civitavecchia back in July 2015. We had read that getting a taxi was not always easy since not many waited at the train station. When we walked out of the train station there were two cabs waiting. Our luggage got loaded up and 5 minutes later we were dropped off right next to the ship. Take the cab.

..From there you board a port shuttle that will take you to your ship. With luggage it is often easier to take a taxi which can pull right up to the ship loading area...

Make sure any replies you read are referring to the new shuttle stop on Via Turco, which is about 800 metres from the old stop.
It's one mile from the train station to the Via Turco shuttle bus stop.

Thanks to Bob and Eurocruiser for the correction on the new shuttle stop location. (I thought this was only during the construction phase??).

Given the extra distance, and the fact that we don't know where the OP's hotel is relative to the Civitavechia train station, I would also recommend a cab to the port from their hotel. (And likely at a better rate if arranged through the hotel).

Edited by cherylandtk

Note that the train station at Civitavecchia does not have elevators so odds are that you will need to climb down a full flight of stairs and up the other side with your bags. If you travel light this won't be an issue.

True. We have sailed from here before and also had Rome as a port stop. On that day, we walked to the train station from the shuttles (and back later) and that was fine with no luggage. But we saw a lot of people struggling with suitcases. It's a flight down and a flight up, in a narrow tunnel, often with lots of folks whipping past and not carrying about jostling those struggling with bags.

When we stayed in Rome, we just had the conceirge book a private car for us. Yes it was a bit pricey...but it was SO stress free. And he pulled right up to the ship, a porter took our bags in 10 seconds, and we were on our way. Highly recommended.

We stayed in Rome pre-cruise and booked RomeCabs for the transfer from our hotel to the port. 150 EU for 4 adults. Since we were just 2, we jumped on our roll call and offered up to share our transport with another couple, splitting the cost in half. The other couple had planned to take the train, but decided to join us instead. They were SO happy they made that decision, because on Sept 30th, our embarkation day, there was one of those infamous transportation strikes and the trains didn't run. :eek: MANY cruisers had to scramble at the last minute to get alternative transportation from Rome to Civitavecchia. We were onboard by noon. :D

People spend thousands on the cruise fare and then fret over the 20-100 $ or € it takes to get from A to B in a taxi. I'll never understand that logic.

In any case, OP should have their hotel concierge arrange a private transfer.

Some people have a finite budget and $100 is a significant amount of money for some.

Not spending $100 on transportation to the port means that they can use that money elsewhere.

Save money where you can so you can spend money where you want.

Seems logical to me.

Besides, I love taking the train!:) and a mile walk is nothing.

You do have to check the strike schedules in Italy though.

Lois

Using Rome as an example: the difference between a flat rate of a private car arranged by the hotel (about $80 USD) vs the train at whatever $/PER PERSON leaves a difference that is pretty much the cost of a few drinks on board, which the person who took the car will be enjoying while the train taker(s) are schlepping luggage, kids, grannies up and down station stairs, etc.

No doubt -you've heard the term "pennywise and pound foolish?"

In the grand scheme of things including cruise, airfare and hotel, even $100 is chump change.

Using Rome as an example: the difference between a flat rate of a private car arranged by the hotel (about $80 USD) vs the train at whatever $/PER PERSON leaves a difference that is pretty much the cost of a few drinks on board, which the person who took the car will be enjoying while the train taker(s) are schlepping luggage, kids, grannies up and down station stairs, etc.

No doubt -you've heard the term "pennywise and pound foolish?"

In the grand scheme of things including cruise, airfare and hotel, even $100 is chump change.

I only have to "schlep" one carryon size spinner luggage and a small backpack.

No kids, no grannies etc. I also don't have to worry about getting stuck in the stupid Rome traffic so maybe I'll be on the cruise having those drinks while the person in the car is sitting in traffic. And the stairs help burn off the calories so I can have more drinks, guilt free :D

on my trip in Dec, I am flying from Denver to fort Lauderdale and then from Miami to Rome one day before cruise. To get a car between FtL and Miami is about $100, to get from Rome airport to city is $50 cab ride. To get from Rome to Civit is 80 to 100. do that both ways and we are near $500. that is getting a little more significant.

If traveling with several people and lots of luggage, or if there are mobility issues, then it is logical to pay the money and hire cars.

It is just me and my DH, we are fit, travel light and enjoy trains so it works for us. I can see why some don't want to do it. You should be able to see the logic in it for other people just as I can see the logic in you paying much more to arrive at the same place.

One size does not fit all.

Happy cruising, no matter how you get to the port. :)

Lois

Edited by electro
typo

I only have to "schlep" one carryon size spinner luggage and a small backpack.

No kids, no grannies etc. I also don't have to worry about getting stuck in the stupid Rome traffic so maybe I'll be on the cruise having those drinks while the person in the car is sitting in traffic. And the stairs help burn off the calories so I can have more drinks, guilt free :D

on my trip in Dec, I am flying from Denver to fort Lauderdale and then from Miami to Rome one day before cruise. To get a car between FtL and Miami is about $100, to get from Rome airport to city is $50 cab ride. To get from Rome to Civit is 80 to 100. do that both ways and we are near $500. that is getting a little more significant.

If traveling with several people and lots of luggage, or if there are mobility issues, then it is logical to pay the money and hire cars.

It is just me and my DH, we are fit, travel light and enjoy trains so it works for us. I can see why some don't want to do it. You should be able to see the logic in it for other people just as I can see the logic in you paying much more to arrive at the same place.

One size does not fit all.

Happy cruising, no matter how you get to the port. :)

Lois

Yes-to each his/her own.

The Italian government web site for transit strikes is here: http://scioperi.mit.gov.it/mit2/public/scioperi

Note that even when there is a strike some trains are guaranteed to run. You can find that list on the Trenitalia site here: http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en/Purchase/Info-&-Contacts/In-case-of-strike

Edited by euro cruiser

Show up at the station on the day you want to travel to see if trains are running is the surest way. Not all strikes are scheduled in advance.

It is EXCEEDINGLY rare to find wildcat strikes in Italy, almost all transit strikes are announced in advance and can be found on the government web site.