Oceania versus Windstar

stjohnrocks

We are thinking of a cruise to the Med. next spring or early summer. Cruised on RCCL in the past. So over that. We don't care about a lot of entertainment. A piano bar is fine with us. More important is a decent room with no shower curtains in the bath, (yuk) and good food.

Also, would like to hear opinions on April in the Med. is that too early? We could possibly go anytime from April -June. Not to keen on July or August. Would like to minimize chances of rough seas or cancelled ports but I really like the April 9 itinerary on Riviera just worrying on weather! On Windstar we would consider either the sailing vessels or the regular ships.

Would love to hear from people who have sailed on both lines! Thanks.

Apples & oranges

O class ships are 6 times larger than the triplets & a lot larger than the sailing ships

R- ships have shower curtains so that rules them out for you ;)

Depends on what you are looking

small intimate ships 200 pax or a bit more pax 1200 but not a mega ship

More research may be needed to determine what works best for you

Edited by LHT28

I've been on both lines & preferred Windstar. I loved the smaller, more intimate atmosphere on the Windstar ship. I found the Windstar crew to be more personable. I found the Windstar passengers to be more down-to-earth and likeable. Perhaps this last issue was peculiar to my sailings. The food was a bit better on Oceania, but the fun-loving atmosphere on Windstar more than made up for the difference. Overall, I'd say that Windstar was more fun and less stuffy than Oceania (not that Oceania was stuffy exactly......)

Yes I was wondering if it was an apples oranges situation! Oceania seems to have wonderful itineraries but we are leaning Windstar. We are casual people not into "stuffiness". Although we do enjoy good food (not necessarily fancy, no caviar needed).

Any comments on weather early spring in the Med? I'm am dead set on Santorini as a port of call. It has been on my bucket list for a good while.

Yes I was wondering if it was an apples oranges situation! Oceania seems to have wonderful itineraries but we are leaning Windstar. We are casual people not into "stuffiness". Although we do enjoy good food (not necessarily fancy, no caviar needed).

Any comments on weather early spring in the Med? I'm am dead set on Santorini as a port of call. It has been on my bucket list for a good while.

Food = Oceania

I think April will be cool in the Med....end of May to mid June would be really nice....have cruised the Med 8 times and June or September is our favourite time....not too hot or too cool or too busy.

many people go to Spain's coastal areas for the winter, so it must be mild enough by April.

I was in the Costa del Sol area of Spain for a week in March years ago, and it was perfect touring weather.

Also, did Barcelona to Athens staring April 20th in 2014. Barcelona was very cool, but every other port was perfect touring weather. Spring jacket in AM and PM, and short sleeve T shirt in mid day. Athens was downright HOT!

The Med is chancy in April; lots of rain at times and cool, not bad for a train based trip but not so much for a cruise. Mid-May to early June I opine. As to Windstar, I've been on both the larger and smaller ships and believe it or not they have different personalities; the smaller ships are basically one class and the passengers are younger and more adventurous; they have more specialty restaurants on their bigger ships. All are small compared to Oceania but we preferred the (passengers on) the smaller ship (148 passengers) to the larger one (310 passengers); they have middle size ones as well in the low 200's.

We found the food better on Oceania; overall it beat Sea Dream and Windstar, with some adventurous spot on offerings which at times were in the Michelin class; passengers are more "sedate" and it has more traditional entertainment but is not stuffy in terms of goofy dressup and such.

If you have never done a sailing ship (Star Clipper ships are a little down market but more fun) the Windstar ships are beautiful and combine a sailing look with (usually) motor power. Wonderful to look at the ship outside at night.

I'm am dead set on Santorini as a port of call. It has been on my bucket list for a good while.

Santorini is lovely but can be very busy. We were there on Riviera last month - with 3 other cruise ships! Queues for coming down on cable car were 2 hours by afternoon. If you do make it, get there and back early! Maybe worth checking if other ships will be in too.

Also, it is always possible that the ports might change/be cancelled due to weather. Santorini is a tender port so always risky. Riviera didn't go into Sorrento on our cruise and instead docked in Naples. A disappointment for us, ( hoping to return to a place we spent happy holidays with our kids!) but we were aware this could happen with any port.

Santorini is lovely but can be very busy. We were there on Riviera last month - with 3 other cruise ships! Queues for coming down on cable car were 2 hours by afternoon. If you do make it, get there and back early! Maybe worth checking if other ships will be in too.

Also, it is always possible that the ports might change/be cancelled due to weather. Santorini is a tender port so always risky. Riviera didn't go into Sorrento on our cruise and instead docked in Naples. A disappointment for us, ( hoping to return to a place we spent happy holidays with our kids!) but we were aware this could happen with any port.

I would like to add my second to this! My husband and I do more land than cruise vacations. Don't get me wrong, we like crusing and hope to do more in the future! We're booked on a late April/early May Oceania Riviera cruise from Athens to Rome and are comparing schedules and all the other stuff to see how many days, if any, we can spend pre and/or post cruise on land! This is our first Oceania cruise and we're looking forward to it.

To the OP, I have been advised from several long time and prolific cruisers, some are friends and some are TA's, to choose a cruise ship first and the general itinerary second. The ship is the destination because the itinerary is subject to change. That works for us.

My best wishes to you and your future plans.

Years ago we were in Rome just before Easter (which means that year we were there in mid-April). 2/3 days lovely, 1/3 bit raw & one day it poured rain. No crowds, though ;)

Since you are "dead set" on Santorini, you may want to consider arranging your own Santorini visit for before or after your cruise. Certainly thousands of cruise ship visitors make it to Santorini every year, but 5 or 6 years ago my folks were on one of the R ships with Oceania and the ship skipped Santorini due to weather conditions.

I would like to add my second to this! My husband and I do more land than cruise vacations. Don't get me wrong, we like crusing and hope to do more in the future! We're booked on a late April/early May Oceania Riviera cruise from Athens to Rome and are comparing schedules and all the other stuff to see how many days, if any, we can spend pre and/or post cruise on land! This is our first Oceania cruise and we're looking forward to it.

To the OP, I have been advised from several long time and prolific cruisers, some are friends and some are TA's, to choose a cruise ship first and the general itinerary second. The ship is the destination because the itinerary is subject to change. That works for us.

My best wishes to you and your future plans.

Especially on Oceania never pick it for itinerary because they are more likely than any other cruise line to change ports, eliminate ports or shorten the time in ports.

Thanks to everyone who replied. This really helped. Yes, I was worried about port cancellations so I may consider something beginning or ending in Athens and going to Santorini independently. It would probably be better anyway to enjoy it after most ships leave in the evening. Now I need to read a lot of reviews on both lines. Also intend to look exclusively at late May/June now

based on comments received.

A few years back, we took a ferry from Athens to Santorini. Easy to do. We spent 3 days on this beautiful island with a hotel room overlooking the site where all the ships tendered. Spectacular views at sunset. One of my all time favorite trips! Good luck planning your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would NOT recommend their Windstar "yachts". We took one this year through the Pan. Canal and it was awful, Quality of everything , as cabins, food, and ship itself was way below par.

Their sailing ships are fine, we have done serveral with them, but will not return to the line because of the lack of quality.