Embassy suites 17th street. 1st room had bed bugs.

NJporkroll

FYI...for those wanting to stay in another Hilton Brand hotel. We are staying at the Hampton Inn in Plantation.

Perks:

-$100 less than Embassy

-Free shuttle from Airport

-Free shuttle to cruise terminal

-10 minutes from the port (according to Google Maps)

-

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Good tip for next time, thanks[emoji57]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My take on that property is it needs a HUGE renovation. The bed bugs on the other hand, happen everywhere just like KILLTHEUMP wrote. Remember what I said about how extremely responsive and accommodating the staff at that hotel was.

The bed bugs are gross, but the hotel is in a sad state of disrepair and there are only so many cosmetic fixes that can be done before the money must be spent.

I was apprehensive at first writing the original post, but I thought my personal experience should be shared. Not to disparage that property, just to make other aware. That being said, it's just up to Hilton standards that I'm used to. And that has nothing to do with the bugs.

Agree 100%. We stayed 2 years ago and would not go back until it's rehabbed.

Rm 931

Was this a regular Suite, or one of the Executive Suites?

We have stayed there the last two years and have been please with the Executive Suites, though the bathroom is starting to look dated.

We enjoy the location because it is near the Southport Raw Bar where we like to eat dinners. If anyone has another suggestion for a place to stay that is near the Embassy suites, please speak up! Our cruise is actually out of Miami, but we prefer staying in Ft. Lauderdale because we have not found anything wonderful to stay overnight in Miami. If there are suggestions for Miami, speak up. :D

Edited by Iamthesea

Believe me, getting rid of them is a nightmare you don't want to encounter! My daughter brought some to her home from a cruise a few years ago. She does not know if she picked them up from their ship (Carnival Dream), their hotel in New Orleans, or in the airport (as there were reports of bed bugs in the shuttle in Denver airport at the time). I swear that girl has PTSD from that episode! I know she threw out all of their luggage and invested in hard sided luggage and replaced every mattress in their home! She washed every single piece of clothing in their home, sealed stuffed animals in trash bags and left in garage, and had an exterminator come through after all of her efforts to rid the little buggers!! On a recent trip to Las Vegas, she checked their hotel room, found the mattress sealed in bed bug mattress bag(?), and refused to stay there. It was a very traumatic experience for her to get rid of them in her home.

Intercontinental is really nice.

Our cruise is actually out of Miami, but we prefer staying in Ft. Lauderdale because we have not found anything wonderful to stay overnight in Miami. If there are suggestions for Miami, speak up. :D

We have stayed there the last two years and have been please with the Executive Suites, though the bathroom is starting to look dated.

We enjoy the location because it is near the Southport Raw Bar where we like to eat dinners. If anyone has another suggestion for a place to stay that is near the Embassy suites, please speak up! Our cruise is actually out of Miami, but we prefer staying in Ft. Lauderdale because we have not found anything wonderful to stay overnight in Miami. If there are suggestions for Miami, speak up. :D

The Renaissance on 17th in Orlando is also a nice place to stay prior to the cruise as you can still walk to everything.

As far as Miami, there are many great hotels in the Brickell area. Depending on the time of year, you can get many great deals at true 4 star hotels on sites like last minute travel.

In the Brickell area you have Hampton Inn Brickell, JW Marriott, a brand new Homewood Suites, the Epic, The W Hotel, The Four Seasons, The Mandarin Oriental, the brand new SLS hotel, the new East Hotel, The Conrad, the Brand New Atton Brickell. You also have the Intercontinental, The JW Marriot Marquis and so on. I can tell you that any one of these hotels blow the Embassy Suites or the Renaissance in Fort Lauderdale out of the water.

Oh no! We are supposed to stay at the Embassy Suites for a night in a month before sailing on Harmony of the Seas. We have stayed here the past several trips, so I'm not sure where else in FLL is decent. Any other cruisers have recs other than Hampton Inn Plantation and Hyatt Pier 66?

Thanks!

The Renaissance on 17th in Orlando is also a nice place to stay prior to the cruise as you can still walk to everything.

As far as Miami, there are many great hotels in the Brickell area. Depending on the time of year, you can get many great deals at true 4 star hotels on sites like last minute travel.

In the Brickell area you have Hampton Inn Brickell, JW Marriott, a brand new Homewood Suites, the Epic, The W Hotel, The Four Seasons, The Mandarin Oriental, the brand new SLS hotel, the new East Hotel, The Conrad, the Brand New Atton Brickell. You also have the Intercontinental, The JW Marriot Marquis and so on. I can tell you that any one of these hotels blow the Embassy Suites or the Renaissance in Fort Lauderdale out of the water.

Should have said Fort Lauderdale, not Orlando!!

Oh no! We are supposed to stay at the Embassy Suites for a night in a month before sailing on Harmony of the Seas. We have stayed here the past several trips, so I'm not sure where else in FLL is decent. Any other cruisers have recs other than Hampton Inn Plantation and Hyatt Pier 66?

Thanks!

I have stayed at the Renaissance in Ft Lauderdale twice and it was just perfect! It was right across from the port, so you could see the ships come in in the early morning. Never any problems with that hotel, and they have a shuttle to port at $6pp. There are several places to eat in the area, also. Some chain restaurants, but also, the Bimini Boatyard is just behind the Renaissance, and we like that. We once ate at the Culinary school across the street, and that was nice. There is a Panera just a little ways down the street that we would go to for breakfast, but the hotel does have a restaurant and bar, along with a pool.

grandmarnnurse -I have stayed at the Renaissance in Ft Lauderdale twice and it was just perfect! It was right across from the port, so you could see the ships come in in the early morning. Never any problems with that hotel, and they have a shuttle to port at $6pp. There are several places to eat in the area, also. Some chain restaurants, but also, the Bimini Boatyard is just behind the Renaissance, and we like that. We once ate at the Culinary school across the street, and that was nice. There is a Panera just a little ways down the street that we would go to for breakfast, but the hotel does have a restaurant and bar, along with a pool.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agree - love this property - have always stayed Club Floor pre-cruise at FLL Ren 17th St until this year (Feb 2017) when our regular King N/S (no high floor, no Club Floor) - was priced at just under $400 per night with Marriott Reward login & Senior/AAA rate - IMO a convenient location - but way too much now that a China Hotel Property.

grandmarnnurse -I have stayed at the Renaissance in Ft Lauderdale twice and it was just perfect! It was right across from the port, so you could see the ships come in in the early morning. Never any problems with that hotel, and they have a shuttle to port at $6pp. There are several places to eat in the area, also. Some chain restaurants, but also, the Bimini Boatyard is just behind the Renaissance, and we like that. We once ate at the Culinary school across the street, and that was nice. There is a Panera just a little ways down the street that we would go to for breakfast, but the hotel does have a restaurant and bar, along with a pool.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agree - love this property - have always stayed Club Floor pre-cruise at FLL Ren 17th St until this year (Feb 2017) when our regular King N/S (no high floor, no Club Floor) - was priced at just under $400 per night with Marriott Reward login & Senior/AAA rate - IMO a convenient location - but way too much now that a China Hotel Property.

Wow! Last time I stayed there--Feb 2015--I only paid $265! That is a crazy price jump!

I went to the Bed Bug Registry online, and put in several hotels in Ft Lauderdale, along with mine in Miami. Thank goodness, mine has had no reports of bed bugs (not to say they have never had them, but none have been reported) Embassy Suites by the port, Hyatt Pier 66, Marriot Marina (I think it's a Hilton now) all by the port have had reports of bed bugs. The Renaissance has had no reports of any bed bug problems.

grandmarnnurse Wow! Last time I stayed there--Feb 2015--I only paid $265! That is a crazy price jump!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes - agree ... that's about what we've been paying - crazy recent price increases - and other than the normal February Cruise Ship crowd - no conventions, no boat show, etc., just did a double check - it's at $378.51 just $21.49 short of the $400.00 per night mark.

Intercontinental is really nice.

Thank you. We have stayed at many of the above mentioned places. The Renaissance was becoming run down the last time we stayed there. They have remodeled since, but the decor is not as bright and beachy as it once was.

I went to the Bed Bug Registry online, and put in several hotels in Ft Lauderdale, along with mine in Miami. Thank goodness, mine has had no reports of bed bugs (not to say they have never had them, but none have been reported) Embassy Suites by the port, Hyatt Pier 66, Marriot Marina (I think it's a Hilton now) all by the port have had reports of bed bugs. The Renaissance has had no reports of any bed bug problems.

Interesting...I did the same thing. It said no reports of bed bugs for the Hyatt Pier 66.