at sea day question

alicat2016

Google search a couple of your ports...."Athens May weather" for example. This will get you factual, not anecdotal, info.

Ive tried that, I know the weather for the actual ports what I cannot find via google is the temperature in the middle of the sea.

probably a dumb question but whats the weather like in May at sea in the Med? Sicily to Greece area. Don't know what I should pack to enjoy the outside deck areas on those days. Thanks!

Did the Med last May and weather was mid 70's on sea days. Depending on where you are on the deck and the layout of your ship, the wind can also be a big factor so take that into account. I dress in shorts but as a San Franciscan 70 is positively balmy.

Did the Med last May and weather was mid 70's on sea days. Depending on where you are on the deck and the layout of your ship, the wind can also be a big factor so take that into account. I dress in shorts but as a San Franciscan 70 is positively balmy.

Thank you! Which ports did you visit? I'm in England so 70s is perfect too

We did a Med cruise in June/July and certainly did not pack any jeans. For May, you may want to and then if you don't need them, so be it. I'd suggest layers, so you can put on and take off as desired. It is always cooler on deck with the breeze, but your cool and my cool may be different, right?

You can check the weather a few days ahead of your cruise and refine your packing list then.

Ive tried that, I know the weather for the actual ports what I cannot find via google is the temperature in the middle of the sea.

Athens is a port city. So it's temps will be fairly representative of the temps you will experience at sea in the area. Not exact, but close enough. It is not like once you get 30 miles out of port it will drop 30 degrees F. And you won't be far out to sea on your cruise.

Edited by CruiserBruce

probably a dumb question but whats the weather like in May at sea in the Med? Sicily to Greece area. Don't know what I should pack to enjoy the outside deck areas on those days. Thanks!

I hate to say it but, that actually could easy be considered a "dumb question." Do a google search for average weather in Sicily at that time of year and you'll have your answer. OR even just google "Mediterranean climate." OR, think hard and remember that spring break trip to SoCal?

As the crow flies it is 400 miles between Sicily and Greece I was trying to ascertain the temperature 200 miles off coast NOT in the ports. When I took a boat from Lanzarote to Fuertaventura it was freezing despite being boiling on the islands so wondered if it was similar in Med. I did google as many variations of the question as I could before I asked here but never found an answer. Sorry for not understanding!

PS thankfully never done spring break since I'm from UK

As the crow flies it is 400 miles between Sicily and Greece I was trying to ascertain the temperature 200 miles off coast NOT in the ports. When I took a boat from Lanzarote to Fuertaventura it was freezing despite being boiling on the islands so wondered if it was similar in Med. I did google as many variations of the question as I could before I asked here but never found an answer. Sorry for not understanding!

PS thankfully never done spring break since I'm from UK

At sea is significantly cooler than on the coast, in the same way that the coast is significantly cooler than inland.

More especially in the spring because the sea takes months to warm up.

But it also depends on the direction of the wind and local conditions - such as the intermittent cold northerly Mistral winds.

But as all cruisers know, how much cooler also depends on whereabouts you are on the ship - the frying pan of the sheltered pool deck is a great deal hotter than the cooling breeze on more-exposed decks.

JB :)

wow really? I was expecting to have to pack jeans and jumper to go outside on a sea day lol think I need to reevaluate my thinking :o Thank you!

No you don't. The chances are you won't need jeans and jumper; but no guarantees. I once went to northern Italy in May and the temperature was 6 degrees C.

And of course it may well be windy on deck - temperature may be 20 or so, but if the ship is heading into a 10 mph wind at 20mph it will feel like 30mph. Take a set of warm clothes, and hope you don't need them. (You can wear them onto the plane if you're short of packing room, and take them off (appropriate shorts and t-shirt underneath!) before landing. You're limited to how many bags you carry on to the plane, but not to how many you carry off.