Celebrity Instead of RCI/Alaska

Koohiichan

Hi, there! We are considering taking Millennium out of Seward, Alaska this June. It would be our first time to Alaska and we haven't cruised with Celebrity for a while so we are out of touch. Lately, we've been doing Royal Caribbean as we usually cruise with our 15 year-old, but this will just be a couples cruise. We looked at RCI's Radiance, but Millennium is $200 cheaper per person for an inside. Anyhow, anyone been on Millennium in Alaska? How is the dress code? Dh does not want to have to wear a jacket to dinner. Also, is the an "aqua spa" on Millennium? We loved the one on Celebrity's old Century ship, but I think the new type does not have the thermal pool. Am I correct?

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks for your help.

Koohiichan

Formal nights on Celebrity have been replaced by Evening Chic. Your DH will be fine without a jacket in the MDR.

I think you are referring to the Thallassotherapy pool and yes, there is one on Millennium.

I don't know how many cruises you have done on RCI but if you have Diamond status, you will have reciprocal status on Celebrity (Elite).

We have been on the sister ship Infinity to Alaska, twice. We don't do insides but for sure we'd never do one on an Alaskan cruise. I would do anything you can to fit into your budget a balcony. Alaska is all about the scenery and the beauty. Nothing better than sailing through the fjords and the inside passage on your balcony, and having some room service breakfast while you pull into and out of port.

There is the thalassotherapy pool and it's great.

Celebrity has done away with formal nights and now has chic nights. Basically you can wear what you want. A smaller percentage will wear formal, some semi-formal, some just the same thing they do every night. So no jacket required. We're going on a cruise in less than a week and my DH is going to bring a jacket just to step it up a bit on those nights, but it is definitely not required. We found the Alaskan cruises less dressy than European or Caribbean.

Keep reading here and check out your Roll Call - click the link above on the left. You can have ongoing conversations with those people who will be sailing on your exact cruise.

Edited by ClaudiaB

Thanks for the info. Yes. That is the pool I meant. You can tell it has been a while. We are only Platinum on RCI. We are only 1 cruise credit away from the next level, but are leaning toward Celebrity due to the price difference. We also enjoyed Celebrity in the past.

Thanks,

Koohiichan

Formal nights on Celebrity have been replaced by Evening Chic. Your DH will be fine without a jacket in the MDR.

I think you are referring to the Thallassotherapy pool and yes, there is one on Millennium.

I don't know how many cruises you have done on RCI but if you have Diamond status, you will have reciprocal status on Celebrity (Elite).

Thanks, ClaudiaB. Good to know. Unfortunately can't upgrade to a balcony ($2000 per person!) and still have money for excursions. We will have to hang out on the deck of the ship. This is one reason we were leaning toward Radiance on RCI. Hmm. Food for thought.

We have been on the sister ship Infinity to Alaska, twice. We don't do insides but for sure we'd never do one on an Alaskan cruise. I would do anything you can to fit into your budget a balcony. Alaska is all about the scenery and the beauty. Nothing better than sailing through the fjords and the inside passage on your balcony, and having some room service breakfast while you pull into and out of port.

There is the thalassotherapy pool and it's great.

Celebrity has done away with formal nights and now has chic nights. Basically you can wear what you want. A smaller percentage will wear formal, some semi-formal, some just the same thing they do every night. So no jacket required. We're going on a cruise in less than a week and my DH is going to bring a jacket just to step it up a bit on those nights, but it is definitely not required. We found the Alaskan cruises less dressy than European or Caribbean.

Keep reading here and check out your Roll Call - click the link above on the left. You can have ongoing conversations with those people who will be sailing on your exact cruise.

We've done both ships in Alaska but not with an inside cabin.

You will be very happy that you are sailing southbound. Hubbard Glacier is best enjoyed in the afternoon and you will love it.

FYI one of the best viewing spots if the weather is not cooperating is from a treadmill in the gym. This works for either ship.

I think you will enjoy the Millie more as a couple. Celebrity is a step up with much better food and certainly ambiance. If you can snag late seating or their version of any time dining you can make the most of your port days.

Wish we were sailing with you! Do be sure to plan your clothing with an eye toward waterproof as opposed to water resistant. Layering is best. You really don't need heavy winter attire.

The Roll Call for Alaska sailings are usually very informative and enjoyable. There are some great excursions to share and plan for.

Did an inside on Millinneum and it was fine. We were on deck 3, but far enough away to not hear all the noise in the Atrium. Yes, a balcony is nice but we are hardly ever in our room. There are plenty of places to view the great outdoors from the decks. And, yes, I agree with alcpa 1 about views from the gym. Happy sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for sharing your experience and wonderful suggestions. The treadmill is the perfect idea for me. I can run and view at the same time! I agree about the ambiance and food in the DNR. We have friends who may go with us and they also pointed out that Celebrity ends in Vancouver so we could spend a day there.

Koohiichan

Thanks! I agree, if our budget allowed, we'd get a balcony, but not this time. Good to know there are many places to enjoy the view from. Also, we may be going with another couple so I doubt we'd all hang out on one small balcony together.

Cheers,

Koohiichan

We only sail in inside cabins because that's what we can afford. Otherwise we can't cruise.

There's enough chairs up on the higher decks to sit down and enjoy the views.

You can always sit in the buffet at a table there too.

Since you;re sailing southbound what would you do if you were on the starboard side of the ship on a balcony? I would think you would miss a lot and have to go on deck anyway.

I know it's blasphemy, but HAL has been doing Alaska longer than anybody. They also have land\cruise packages including some with the Rocky Mountaineer.

Whatever you do, enjoy your cruise.

Edited by NordicPrince

We were on the Millie northbound this past summer, and we had an Oceanview on a lower deck. It was fine, because we spent 90% of our time in the Cosmo lounge! It was warm, and had an awesome view of the scenery, and the naturalist on board was often there as well. While a balcony would have been nice, it was light so late that we really didn't spend much time in the room! If you want to see the scenery from your room, an oceanview might be a reasonable compromise.

We've cruised Alaska twice, once on Millie and once on HA. Both trips were great, but, our visit to Hubbard Glacier was an awesome experience. We usually cruise with a balcony, but Alaska is port intensive, so I'd be fine with an inside if it meant my going or not. Also, the days are very long during the summer months and some people who stayed in insides said they found it easier to sleep. The Millie had loungers set up on the lower decks with really nice blankets for passenger use. One of my favorite memories was the day we were soaking in the thalassotherapy pool when someone shouted they saw a whale. We all jumped out of the pool to the windows at the same time. What a sight! Our trip was before formal nights were retired, but we still found the Millie to be very informal up in Alaska. Be sure to visit the Alaska forum for suggestions on what to do in each port.

Thanks, ClaudiaB. Good to know. Unfortunately can't upgrade to a balcony ($2000 per person!) and still have money for excursions. We will have to hang out on the deck of the ship. This is one reason we were leaning toward Radiance on RCI. Hmm. Food for thought.

Our first Alaska we were inside our cruise this Aug was balcony. Both were excellent. If anything, you can get a bigger more inclusive view from being outside by the pool or any of the outside decks. For the most part if you have a balcony room you still want to be outside for best views. If it's particularly chilly they provide blankets for sitting outside. Also at the very front/top of the ship is a large bar with large windows. We have been on the Millenium many times. Always had a great time!!

Linda

We were on the Millie northbound this past summer, and we had an Oceanview on a lower deck. It was fine, because we spent 90% of our time in the Cosmo lounge! It was warm, and had an awesome view of the scenery, and the naturalist on board was often there as well. While a balcony would have been nice, it was light so late that we really didn't spend much time in the room! If you want to see the scenery from your room, an oceanview might be a reasonable compromise.

I originally booked an inside for a NB Alaska trip on Millie next year, but upgraded to a guarantee oceanview because there were perks. Can you comment on the Cosmo Lounge a bit more - this is were the naturalist does most of the speaking?

Also, I've been reading that a lot of the scenery for NB is in the morning...how early is that and how early do you suggest you snag a seat in the lounge?