Contradictory luggage information.

NOVICE WELSH CRUISERS

Browsed previous threads on this but those were equally confusing. I'm cruising from Southampton and my e-ticket states 'Maximum weight 20kg per bag'. Below is the information from P&O's website.

''When sailing roundtrip from Southampton, you can bring as many pieces of luggage as you can comfortably fit into your cabin, as long as each item weighs no more than 23 kilograms for safety and handling purposes.

If an individual piece of luggage exceeds 23kg at embarkation you will be recalled to the terminal and asked to remove items or repack your bags. Your baggage may also be delayed at disembarkation if you exceed this limit.''

Has anyone experienced this dilemma ? I realise that Health & Safety rears it's head here but surely it's a bit silly having two suitcases for the sake of a couple of kgs ?

Edited by NOVICE WELSH CRUISERS
mispelt

I have always worked on the premise that if I can lift the case single-handled into the car then the luggage handlers can manage the other end. I have never weighed cases on an ex-Soton cruise, only when flying.

Whenever we fly to Heathrow, our luggage is usually on the max limit. We buy stuff before boarding and load it in the luggage, making it exceed the limit. It has never been weighed by the porters at Southampton. Maybe, if it was obviously very very heavy, they might flagged it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As long as it's not ridiculous, I think you'll be fine. If you are concerned just take a smaller bag for a few extra heavy items. You can have as many bags as you want just make sure they are all properly labelled. There is plenty of space under the beds for 3+ suitcases so storage isn't an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Individual suit cases are not weighed at Southampton, unlike when you board a flight. In reality you will get away with more than 23kgs. It is all about Health and Safety and if a reasonably fit person can handle a luggage item they will not make an issue of it.

In practical terms the luggage guys take the cases from your vehicle while you can supervise. They normally say "you haven't got your passports in here, have you?", and put the cases on their trolley. If you turn up with a trunk, sea chest or ridiculously heavy bags etc. you should be told there and then. If you want to take a lot of luggage, say, twenty suitcases each around 23kgs will be fine as they can be loaded easily.

Regards John

We too have never weighed our suitcases when going from Southampton. If I think a case is getting too heavy then I take another one. It really doesn't matter how many cases you take. Assuming you are going by car or taxi then the cases only have to go from the house into the vehicle and then the porters take the cases from the car. It doesn't matter whether you have two cases or three. They will go under your bed in the cabin - useful to have ones that will go inside one another. I often use a smallish suitcase for all shoes, chargers, some toiletries, things like that. It makes it easier packing the clothes when I don't have to fit other things in and around them. As Sharon says, if I can lift the case then I'm sure the porters and the men on the ship won't have any problem. Don't worry about it.

I've seen the different weights too, and we try to keep it to the lower one of 20kg. We send ours with the Baggage Handling Company so various people there have to move them. The baggage handlers then have to pick them up and get them into the cages to put on the ship. Crew then have the job of delivering them to your cabin with your steward very often bringing them in for you.

20kg is as much as we feel happy lifting so we don't see why we should ask anybody else to lift anything heavier. Easy just to back an extra bag, as there's no limit to the number of bags you can take.

Slightly off topic but related, hope you do not mind.

We are flying to Barbados on the 26th to join the Azura.

We decided to 'splash out' and book premium seats because of the length of the flight.

Thus we are now allowed 28kg checked in allowance but the info states that 23kg is the maximum per bag ?

Silly question maybe but how do others claim the extra 5kg?

Separate checked in bags @ 5kg or can you combine them into another bag/case @ 10kg (i.e. 5kg x2)?

Anyone had this problem?

Edited by gfs1ram

Slightly off topic but related, hope you do not mind.

We are flying to Barbados on the 26th to join the Azura.

We decided to 'splash out' and book premium seats because of the length of the flight.

Thus we are now allowed 28kg checked in allowance but the info states that 23kg is the maximum per bag ?

Silly question maybe but how do others claim the extra 5kg?

Separate checked in bags @ 5kg or can you combine them into another bag/case @ 10kg (i.e. 5kg x2)?

Anyone had this problem?

That is your weight limit x2 for both of you. You can share that any way you wish across 3 or even 4 cases /holdalls provided none exceed the maximum weight for one piece of luggage (usually 23Kg). It's a combined maximum.

However although you won't have a problem with your Premium booking as you're entitled to extra, in the small print it always says to check with the carrier. Although P&O may have a notional default of 23Kg, some airlines you may be booked on - even through P&O - could have different limits. We have a 23 +5 through Thomson for Barbados in January though.

That is your weight limit x2 for both of you. You can share that any way you wish across 3 or even 4 cases /holdalls provided none exceed the maximum weight for one piece of luggage (usually 23Kg). It's a combined maximum.

However although you won't have a problem with your Premium booking as you're entitled to extra, in the small print it always says to check with the carrier. Although P&O may have a notional default of 23Kg, some airlines you may be booked on - even through P&O - could have different limits. We have a 23 +5 through Thomson for Barbados in January though.

Funnily enough for my Barbados trip in two weeks the cruise personaliser says 23kg max per bag, the tickets say 20.... I'll stick with 23 as that's 50llb in old money which the US airlines still stick to.

Funnily enough for my Barbados trip in two weeks the cruise personaliser says 23kg max per bag, the tickets say 20.... I'll stick with 23 as that's 50llb in old money which the US airlines still stick to.

Interesting. Who are you travelling with? Have a great trip - not long now.

P. S. A bit off topic, but if you're going to Martinique I'd be very pleased to hear of your experience when you get back. It's a new one to us but reading reviews and port info sites I'm not sure what to expect so any advice would be much appreciated.

Its the usual Tompson flight out of BHX, I just used the 50llb as a comparison to what used to be expected.

We don't go to Martinique but we do go to St Vincent which is a first for me. Asking around its not meant to be very inspiring so we booked a tour which seems to be sold out now for some reason...