Blu vs. Luminae

twopats

We were unhappy with Luminae on the Reflection Transatlantic and ended up going to Blu and specialty restaurants mostly for the second half of the cruise.

Service in Luminae was very poor - perhaps because of galley problems. Rarely were we able to eat our entres together. Often did not like choice of food and ordered from MDR menu. Don't plan to do suite again. We could get specialty package and save lots money.

Another vote for hit and miss with the Luminae menu.

Just returned from the 7 November 2016 sailing on Equinox. The service was outstanding. The menus for breakfast and lunch were great. When it came to dinner it was always - we will give it a shot.

Each night we did review the MDR menu. Just about every meal we ordered something from the MDR menu - whether it was appetizer, main course, or dessert.

Part of the problem is the Luminae menu lacks sufficient descriptions of the preparation - or better yet - what the item is. (My French is very rusty.)

I may have dreamed it, but I thought the Luminae menu was suppose reflect the region / port of the sailing. (If I didn't dream it - I think it would be a good and unique concept. Of course it would present supplier and logistical challenges, but certainly set Celebrity apart from the rest.)

Just my two cents.

I may have dreamed it, but I thought the Luminae menu was suppose reflect the region / port of the sailing. (If I didn't dream it - I think it would be a good and unique concept. Of course it would present supplier and logistical challenges, but certainly set Celebrity apart from the rest.)

Just my two cents.

You didn't dream it...that was the original focus when rolled out. Has not happened. It can be done, though, Azamara often does a really good job of it.

and IMHO the best EVER!!!...We are "Elite Plus"..I only say that so you know that we sail X a lot...I hate that term....but we thought that the food was the best EVER...in many, many times in that venue on many ships.

The staff...from the "front desk" to the waiters and wait/staff were so welcoming...and I thought that the food was the best yet...we had to wait only one night to be seated...no matter when we showed up...and the food and selections I thought were ideal.

We are on "Equinox" in only less than a month..and hoping for the same wonderful experience....I really don't want to sail X anymore without "Blu"!!! :p LuAnn

Just a quick follow-up...

We did leverage the MDR menu occasionally due to either the appetizers or entree's just not appealing to us. I think part of the gap with the Luminae menu is the lack of details compared with the MDR menu.

I did locate a Celebrity Cruises Suite Class brochure I received at a travel expo earlier this year. Below is the overview of Luminae:

We've got the perfect restaurant for you: yours.

One of the most unique additions to our Suite Class experience is an exclusive, suite-only restaurant, where you'll dine on dishes prepared solely for suite guests. You'll enjoy meals inspired by the flavors and cultures of local destinations, tailored to your exact specifications by your Suite Class Chef, with your certified sommelier selecting the perfect pairing from more than 500 wines.

Exclusive Restaurant:

• Serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner

• Every meal feature unique menus that offer sumptuous dishes only available to our Suite guests, created by Celebrity's James Beard-featured chef

• Dishes inspired by the local destinations and prepared with the world's best ingredients - from locally caught seafood to the freshest pasta

• Tailor-made dining can be prepared by your Suite Class Chef

• More than 500 wines available, and a certified sommelier, to help create the perfect pairing for any meal

Maybe it's just me, but I expected the menu to align more closely with the itinerary. I do not recall seeing any Caribbean, South American, or Mexican dishes offered - which I would expect based upon "Dishes inspired by the local destinations...".

and IMHO the best EVER!!!...We are "Elite Plus"..I only say that so you know that we sail X a lot...I hate that term....but we thought that the food was the best EVER...in many, many times in that venue on many ships.

The staff...from the "front desk" to the waiters and wait/staff were so welcoming...and I thought that the food was the best yet...we had to wait only one night to be seated...no matter when we showed up...and the food and selections I thought were ideal.

We are on "Equinox" in only less than a month..and hoping for the same wonderful experience....I really don't want to sail X anymore without "Blu"!!! :p LuAnn

Hello LuAnn.....glad you enjoyed your cruise. We are on Summit 4 Dec...in Blu as usual. Looking forward to another relaxing cruise. Best wishes,

Barry

We found Luminae to be a little heavy, but they bend over backwards to make you happy. We love Blu and the decor; My DH hates the pattern in Luminae, but in Blu, he is just fine...his stomach is a little funky...Blu loves it when suite guests dine there...treated so well. At least that has been our experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

We did two transatlantics this year on Reflection. Both were in suites in Luminae and on one cruise the Kitchen was stretched to the max, food came out cold and not so good. Yet on the other transatlantic we had Amazing Food, always hot, great options and perfectly seasoned.

Dined in Blue 1.5 years ago....Far to hectic for us, food was good, healthy spin on things kinda.......Busy crowded and once again we could tell the chef was "off" some nights and the restaurant head rolled his eyes as so many things came out wrong....Sometimes the teams just don't work together.

We also had a large group of friends in the MDR three or four cruises ago and we ate with them most nights. Food was fine, always options....It reaches a point that sometimes a salad and soup is just enough.

At issue on cruise ships is consistency....it is what they strive for, however we as passengers don't always receive. Often it depends on WHO is Cooking in the kitchen and their backround. That is why when one cruiser says I was on "X" ship in Luminae and then "Y" ship I often think to myself....different chefs, different styles etc. Very hard to compare with all the crew changes, illness, vacations, swaps etc. So many moving pieces of the puzzle.

All in all we have been quite happy. We noticed in the Med this fall that the Cruiseline/Hotel director went out of their way to bring local delicacies onboard.....and offered on the buffet for dinner or lunch....Fresh Italian cheeses in Italy and Carved Hams from Spain etc. Nice touch.

Happy sails to all!

We did two transatlantics this year on Reflection. Both were in suites in Luminae and on one cruise the Kitchen was stretched to the max, food came out cold and not so good. Yet on the other transatlantic we had Amazing Food, always hot, great options and perfectly seasoned.

Dined in Blue 1.5 years ago....Far to hectic for us, food was good, healthy spin on things kinda.......Busy crowded and once again we could tell the chef was "off" some nights and the restaurant head rolled his eyes as so many things came out wrong....Sometimes the teams just don't work together.

We also had a large group of friends in the MDR three or four cruises ago and we ate with them most nights. Food was fine, always options....It reaches a point that sometimes a salad and soup is just enough.

At issue on cruise ships is consistency....it is what they strive for, however we as passengers don't always receive. Often it depends on WHO is Cooking in the kitchen and their backround. That is why when one cruiser says I was on "X" ship in Luminae and then "Y" ship I often think to myself....different chefs, different styles etc. Very hard to compare with all the crew changes, illness, vacations, swaps etc. So many moving pieces of the puzzle.

All in all we have been quite happy. We noticed in the Med this fall that the Cruiseline/Hotel director went out of their way to bring local delicacies onboard.....and offered on the buffet for dinner or lunch....Fresh Italian cheeses in Italy and Carved Hams from Spain etc. Nice touch.

Happy sails to all!

I learned to trust my valued waiter in "Blu"...when I went to order something I would ask him...and the "eyes" had the vote!!! they know best I think!!!! I have not had the "suite" experience on X...so have not had the "Luminae" experience...but I'm sure that everyone tried their best..no matter the venue!!!!! LuAnn

One thing I will add about Luminae is they served one of the best soups I have had in a long, very long time - the Jerusalem Artichoke Soup.

Yum, yum.

I got a copy of the recipe. Now I am trying to figure out how to "down convert" the recipe. (It calls 8 lbs of artichokes, 6 onions, etc.) Guess I keep cutting it in half until I get to 4 servings?

Now, if I could only get a copy of the recipe for the chicken salad in the Oceanview Café....

Sorry to take us off topic, but had to toss that out there.