Verandah Dinner Service in Neptune Suite

cobalt206

We are sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March and was wondering if our verandah has a table large enough to do dinner for four? We've sailed on this ship before in VB aft verandah cabins and I think those would be too small. We have booked Neptune Suite 6164 with the aft wrap balcony for this trip. While I know this balcony is much larger, I know the depth is narrow and I'm not sure if there is a table that would comfortably host four adults?

Also, any advice on booking regular room service or having it done through the Neptune Lounge concierge is much appreciated.

My wife thinks we are in a VB cabin again and I can't wait to see her face when we walk into this suite for the first time.

We are sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March and was wondering if our verandah has a table large enough to do dinner for four? We've sailed on this ship before in VB aft verandah cabins and I think those would be too small. We have booked Neptune Suite 6164 with the aft wrap balcony for this trip. While I know this balcony is much larger, I know the depth is narrow and I'm not sure if there is a table that would comfortably host four adults?

Also, any advice on booking regular room service or having it done through the Neptune Lounge concierge is much appreciated.

My wife thinks we are in a VB cabin again and I can't wait to see her face when we walk into this suite for the first time.

We were in 5186 (aft-wrap) in May and there was a verandah table with four chairs on the verandah. Table diameter was measured at 28 inches. Four can eat but all of the courses may not be able to fit at the same time. Before you commit, it would be good to do a trial fitting.

We have been able to arrange waiter-served course-by-course dinners through the Concierge. The MDR meal ordered via Room Service will arrive with all courses so you might need to use your bed for the trays with pending and completed course dishes.

We bring a 70-inch tablecloth and some LED candles to create a nice dinner ambiance for a verandah dinner.

Verandah tables are not that large. I think it would be difficult to seat 4 for dinner there. There's room for the chairs around the table but eating is a different matter. Even if you do not include the trays and just put the dish you are currently eating, I think it would be tricky. Take a look at the table when you get on board and you can judge for yourself. There's enough room for drinks, munchies from the Neptune Lounge, etc.

I have called room service at dining time and I have also placed the order with the concierge. They both work.

You do know that you will be spoiled, forever, right???? Don't forget to take advantage of the other benefits of a NS.

I haven't been on NA, but the tables we've had on 7 and 8 on Vistas would sit four. The table would be full, but it isn't like at home where you'd have serving bowls, etc taking up space. There is a website with lots of facts about hal, and loads of pictures. We can't post the link, but if you google HAL and facts, you should find it.

We have booked dinner through the concierge, and one time when we had less than stellar concierges (they told me to call room service!!!), we just booked it ourselves, which turned out to be better. When I called room service, I placed two orders. We ordered starters and mains at one time, and dessert and coffee as a separate order an hour later.

Enjoy!!

We were in 5186 (aft-wrap) in May and there was a verandah table with four chairs on the verandah. Table diameter was measured at 28 inches. Four can eat but all of the courses may not be able to fit at the same time. Before you commit, it would be good to do a trial fitting.

We have been able to arrange waiter-served course-by-course dinners through the Concierge. The MDR meal ordered via Room Service will arrive with all courses so you might need to use your bed for the trays with pending and completed course dishes.

We bring a 70-inch tablecloth and some LED candles to create a nice dinner ambiance for a verandah dinner.

How does the course-by-course work? Do the courses come up separately or all at once? Does a waiter hang around waiting for you to finish each course?

That site that you find by googling HAL and FACTS has a picture of the balcony and table for 6164. Slightly narrow but certainly doable.

If you could do a deck five on Westerdam or Oosterdam, you would be much more comfortable.

We had dinner on our aft wrap on deck five of Westerdam several times. We intend to do almost all our meals on our next cruise (Oosterdam) on our balcony. We ordered a couple of drinks from room service but that didn't work well. Took forever to arrive. What worked best was a quick trip up to the Sea View bar. We took the drinks down to the room. Explore4 won't cover room service drinks but will cover the drinks from the sea view. We also take on board six bottles of wine. Paying the corkage is worth having some very good wines.

We obtained a copy of the MDR menu from our steward. We marked the things we wanted and gave it to the concierge. Our steward told us that he would meet the room service attendant for us so we could enjoy the balcony and not have to wait in the room. They brought the meal to us, placed the extra plates on a small table where we could get the courses without cluttering the main table. He also came back to get the dishes.

Were you aware of the new Room Service Menu?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2419765

Most of the discussion in that thread doesn't apply to suites. Suites are not really affected. There are a couple of things you might be interested. You can order from the Pinnacle Grill and from the Dive In Hamburger place. Fees are less than the Pinnacle Grill ($15 for the smaller steaks. Sides are limited.) Burgers from the Dive In are $4.95 and available 24/7. We booked three nights in the Pinnacle before this new menu was announced. We will take advantage of this new menu too.

Dinner on the balcony is very special to us. Much more enjoyable than the MDR. It's quieter and the dress code (house robes required, shoes optional) is perfect for us.

Edited by RocketMan275

How does the course-by-course work? Do the courses come up separately or all at once? Does a waiter hang around waiting for you to finish each course?

I can only speak for the two occasions that we experienced "In Room Dining" through the Concierge. On both occasions the food was delivered to the stateroom as we completed each course.

On one occasion, we dined with friends in their Neptune Suite near the Neptune Lounge. The door was left unlocked and our waiter kept checking on our progress as we dined. Each course came separately from the kitchen as we proceeded through dinner.

When we dined on our aft-wrap verandah, our white-gloved waiter remained just around the corner of the verandah and kept peeking to see our progress. As we neared completion of each course, he retrieved the next course. The Room Service Manager even stopped by to see how we were enjoying our dinner.

Our waiter received a generous tip for the great evening and he thanked us for giving him the chance to make more $$ than he would have made during the MDR meal hour. He did remark that he had never experienced a Caribbean sunset while working.

IMHO the magic words were, "In Room Dining" to the Concierge to ensure the course-by-course service.

We were in a Neptune Suite on the Zuiderdam last year. Asked for in suite dining, course by course, when we ordered the meal from the concierge in the Neptune lounge, but was told they did not do that. Very disappointing to have the ice cream delivered with the soup and entree.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were in a Neptune Suite on the Zuiderdam last year. Asked for in suite dining, course by course, when we ordered the meal from the concierge in the Neptune lounge, but was told they did not do that. Very disappointing to have the ice cream delivered with the soup and entree.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We had the same experience on Westerdam. Two alternatives. Be selective on ordering desserts or place two orders. You do not have to order all the courses at the same time. Order your ice cream when you're ready for it.

Edited by RocketMan275

Just my personal opinion.

I honestly don't think a Neptune Suite lends itself to course by course dining.

It basically comes to laying out another plate. It's not the same as a PS course by course dining and honestly, there isn't enough space. I don't want someone lurking around.

We've done course by course dining when we have had a PS (fantastic) and there is the space, the dining room table (or a huge table outside), the separate entrance so the waiters can just check and be discreet.

When we are in a Neptune Suite, if we do in room dining, we just want it delivered. The idea to order a couple of things for one hour and the others for the second hour is superb IMO and more than does the trick.

There may be other reasons that it is available to pax, other than the pax claiming some sort of special status.

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. Lots of great information as always here on CC. I suppose we will wait until we arrive to take a good look at the verdandah and furniture. We typically pre book Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind for 6 nights so that is the only obstacle now.

Just my personal opinion.

I honestly don't think a Neptune Suite lends itself to course by course dining.

It basically comes to laying out another plate. It's not the same as a PS course by course dining and honestly, there isn't enough space. I don't want someone lurking around.

We've done course by course dining when we have had a PS (fantastic) and there is the space, the dining room table (or a huge table outside), the separate entrance so the waiters can just check and be discreet.

When we are in a Neptune Suite, if we do in room dining, we just want it delivered. The idea to order a couple of things for one hour and the others for the second hour is superb IMO and more than does the trick.

There may be other reasons that it is available to pax, other than the pax claiming some sort of special status.

The lurking waiter thing kind of puts me off. It's like being in a restaurant on a slow night and the staff have nothing to do but stand there and watch you eat.

We managed fine with two orders an hour apart and it was OK. We should have told our stewards, though. They came in to do the turndown and were surprised to see us on the balcony instead of at dinner. We weren't bothered at all about them being in the room. They were busy working, not watching us eat. (like feeding time at the zoo! :eek:)

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Question .... can you invite another couple who is not in a Neptune to join you on the balcony for dinner ?

Of course you may. I cannot imagine why one would think there is a reason you c annot.

Edited by sail7seas

One of the above posters mentioned to take full advantage of them. Where exactly can I figure out what the perks are?

Part of our family will be joining us on the next cruise and I think they would like the suite so I would like to make sure I know what the benefits are so I can explain them and let them take advantage of them. They may also have kids in the cabin, do they get any perks?

Also, I think that they would love eating dinner on the balcony with the grandkids as it is less formal than the dining room but a nice change from Lido.

Thanks!

One of the above posters mentioned to take full advantage of them. Where exactly can I figure out what the perks are?

Part of our family will be joining us on the next cruise and I think they would like the suite so I would like to make sure I know what the benefits are so I can explain them and let them take advantage of them. They may also have kids in the cabin, do they get any perks?

Also, I think that they would love eating dinner on the balcony with the grandkids as it is less formal than the dining room but a nice change from Lido.

Thanks!

The Holland web site is a good place to find the perks:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/StateroomImage.action?stateroomShipCode=ED#suite

You might want to check out this thread on the new room service menus.

Also Roger has some good information on menus available to suites:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/

We have the majority of our meals on the veranda.

Edited by RocketMan275

Since others have already listed the perks, I will pass on that.

However, be advised that virtually all of the perks are for Neptune passengers only (all the people registered in the cabin get all the perks) and cannot be shared with passengers from other cabins (guests). For example, guests cannot enter the Neptune Lounge with you.

Having said that, you can host small parties for guests in your cabin (such as dinner, afternoon teas, apps before dinner, etc.). I have attended large parties (about 40 guests) held in some of the aft-wrap cabins which have very large balconies (the Neptune staff will assist you in doing this).

hi. I just got off Nieuw Amsterdam a week ago, had Neptune Suite 7070 and the balconies are very spacious and there is a round table with four chairs, very comfortable for dinner for two plus and additional two sitting chairs. You will enjoy it. Have fun. Maryjo

The Holland web site is a good place to find the perks:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/StateroomImage.action?stateroomShipCode=ED#suite

You might want to check out this thread on the new room service menus.

Also Roger has some good information on menus available to suites:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/

We have the majority of our meals on the veranda.

Just a note that Aliaschief has reported in his review that the breakfast menu for suites was the same / could be written in without issue. Just in case it helps .

Just verified today that white tablecloth verandah dining through the Concierge is available on the Zuiderdam if requested by Neptune/Pinnacle Suites.

Interesting. We requested it about a year ago on the Z and the Concierge knew nothing about it. Guess they need to better educate them.