MITSUGIRLYS EPIC CRUISE--2nd time around-1st from Port Canaveral

mitsugirly

Dear NCL (because we know you audit these boards):

There is a wonderful young mermaid who cruises often, frequently with NCL. Her experiences (documented by her Mom) are enjoyed by many - and more importantly to you, influence many on CC who travel with children.

I strongly suggest you consider asking Sakari to provide a kids' review and perspective of her experiences on NCL ships. She tries everything and will provide you with honest and forthright opinions and suggestions.

Sakari can be your "secret" reviewer (like a mystery shopper); or, perhaps a not-secret "Kids Ambassador." I am sure that NCL can come up with a gratis compensation for Sakari (maybe free fare for her; or non-suite VIP status for her family).

...And wouldn't it be fun to compare Sakari's personal review with Mom's?!

What a great idea! Review from a kid's perspective!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

when will you be going to those islands?

April :D

Dear NCL (because we know you audit these boards):

There is a wonderful young mermaid who cruises often, frequently with NCL. Her experiences (documented by her Mom) are enjoyed by many - and more importantly to you, influence many on CC who travel with children.

I strongly suggest you consider asking Sakari to provide a kids' review and perspective of her experiences on NCL ships. She tries everything and will provide you with honest and forthright opinions and suggestions.

Sakari can be your "secret" reviewer (like a mystery shopper); or, perhaps a not-secret "Kids Ambassador." I am sure that NCL can come up with a gratis compensation for Sakari (maybe free fare for her; or non-suite VIP status for her family).

...And wouldn't it be fun to compare Sakari's personal review with Mom's?!

YES THIS! :D

There is someone on the boards that does a review as if he was the child. I can't remember who it is, but I read a few of his reviews and they are SO funny!

Hi all!

Kim ~ congrats on the new booking!:D Who's all going on the Conquest with you?

Sure hope Sakari gets to see one of those turquoise lizards in Aruba. I've never seen one there so don't know where you'd find one.

Have a nice weekend.

Thanks! So far, just us 3, but you know how that is...Kendra likes to book last minute, so we'll see.

I hope she gets to see the lizards too. I looked them up online and she caught me and was so amazed at them.

It's goes to the A/C islands :p without the B :(

AND....we booked. We will be going to Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk and La Romana. Three new ports for us and I'm super excited.

Woo hoo! That's awesome! It's three ports that we haven't visited yet either, so I can't wait to hear what you think of Aruba, Curacao, and La Romana. I will be looking for your review. :D

PB161989%20copy-L.jpg

Now think about this...they charge $24.99 for this plate. I can't even imagine. That's JUST for the above plate. That didn't include the onion soup with the chunk of not-so-pleasing-to-the-eye bread in it, but was yummy. That was offered at an additional $3.99.

i agree..i dont think thats worth 24.99 for that little bit of food

AND....we booked. We will be going to Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk and La Romana. Three new ports for us and I'm super excited.

Curacao is one of my favorite ports, but the first time we were there, we decided to skip our shore excursion because the pontoon bridge (Queen Emma Bridge) was so fascinating to watch open and close and the town was strikingly beautiful so we decided to walk around instead - it's quite lovely with charming Dutch colonial style buildings with some contemporary flair - really one of the prettiest islands in terms of architecture. BTW, this is where the laraha (not really orange but similar taste) flavored liquor Blue Curacao is from.

A side story, if you have ever read about the cruiser who went missing Amy Lynn Bradley - Curacao is the island their ship was pulling into on the morning when her disappearance was discovered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Amy_Lynn_Bradley

Here are the snorkeling sites in Aruba:

http://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/aruba-snorkeling.html

There is a PADI Dive Center here:

http://happydiversaruba.com/wp/

La Romana

Scuba here: http://scubafun.info

If you don't scuba, you might go snorkeling - these are the top 3 locations:

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/snorkeling-la-romana-dominican-republic-10829.html

I'm a little confused. Why did you email NCL about the concerns with O'Sheehan's if you haven't cruised and experienced any problems? It may have just been a bad week with the transition and things could definitely be cleared up by the time you cruise (and could even be fine now). I know when people have concerns about something they have experienced, that is negative on their cruise, and they contact cruise companies regarding it, it's sometimes hard to get a response back. I'm just wondering if you will get a response at all since this is not actually an experience that you have had yet and merely just a concern, one of which they have no way to know if this will happen during your cruise or not. Just wondering...let me know if you get a response. I would be interested in hearing what they have to say. I can only imagine that it would just be a general response since they can't predict anything.

:p

I still haven't heard anything back yet. I do see a reoccurring theme concerning the service in O'Sheehans. I do hope they get this taken care of in the next three months before I cruise. Of course the slow service might save me a ton of money. The longer I wait for food the less time I will be on the blackjack table.

Curacao is one of my favorite ports, but the first time we were there, we decided to skip our shore excursion because the pontoon bridge (Queen Emma Bridge) was so fascinating to watch open and close and the town was strikingly beautiful so we decided to walk around instead - it's quite lovely with charming Dutch colonial style buildings with some contemporary flair - really one of the prettiest islands in terms of architecture. BTW, this is where the laraha (not really orange but similar taste) flavored liquor Blue Curacao is from.

A side story, if you have ever read about the cruiser who went missing Amy Lynn Bradley - Curacao is the island their ship was pulling into on the morning when her disappearance was discovered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Amy_Lynn_Bradley

Here are the snorkeling sites in Aruba:

http://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/aruba-snorkeling.html

There is a PADI Dive Center here:

http://happydiversaruba.com/wp/

La Romana

Scuba here: http://scubafun.info

If you don't scuba, you might go snorkeling - these are the top 3 locations:

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/snorkeling-la-romana-dominican-republic-10829.html

Thanks, SuiteTraveler! I can't say for sure that Kim is bookmarking the sites you have been mentioning, but I certainly am. Have you actually been on a dive with either the shop you linked to in Aruba, or the one in thr DR? If so, how was your experience with them, either diving or snorkeling? If I'm planning to dive in a port I've never been to before, I like to hear from someone who has actually used a dive shop themselves before I book with that shop. Thank you for all the info you have been providing. :D

Edited by perfect match

Thanks, SuiteTraveler! I can't say for sure that Kim is bookmarking the sites you have been mentioning, but I certainly am. Have you actually been on a dive with either the shop you linked to in Aruba, or the one in thr DR? If so, how was your experience with them, either diving or snorkeling? If I'm planning to dive in a port I've never been to before, I like to hear from someone who has actually used a dive shop themselves before I book with that shop. Thank you for all the info you have been providing. :D

I've used Scuba fun for diving. Saw some interesting sights. In Aruba, I just went snorkeling. It was just OK - not my favorite. I really didn't like Aruba. It just seemed like a flat little island with a few palm trees. There are a lot of other islands I like a whole lot better.

I've used Scuba fun for diving. Saw some interesting sights. In Aruba, I just went snorkeling. It was just OK - not my favorite. I really didn't like Aruba. It just seemed like a flat little island with a few palm trees. There are a lot of other islands I like a whole lot better.

A lot of the divers I've talked to about Aruba have said the same thing as you about their experience there. I am a bit disappointed with the not so great diving reports I keep hearing about Aruba because for some reason I really want to love it there. I will keep an open mind and see for myself once we get there. I guess when we finally do get to Aruba, I will plan to spend some tme in port with my non diver husband. He will probably be glad that for once I won't be leaving him for a bunch of fish! :eek: :D

I do not have La Romana on my "must visit" list right now, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to find it included on an itinerary with some of those "must visit" places.

Thank you again for all the info, SuiteTraveler. :cool:

Also, we (the girls) had downloaded the iconceirge app on our phones so that we would be able to text each other and know where we all are at any given time and would be able to meet up. The guys...well, they were on their own. insertevilgrinhere I mean don't they say that guys never stop to ask for directions because they are never lost? Yea, we'll see about that right?

We have used this app several times before and usually had decent service with it and good experiences. The text works great, but the phone service, not so much. You can call someone elses phone on it, but you can barely understand what they are saying and it will cut in and out. So, I don't recommend it if you are someone who would rather talk to the other party versus texting. Texting-workie good. Phone-no workie good. Just saying...

Question do you have to pay to use the app to text the people you are on the ship with?.. BTW you review is awesome!!

Question do you have to pay to use the app to text the people you are on the ship with?.. BTW you review is awesome!!

Yes, you have to download the app prior to leaving the port and sign up on the sign from your phone. It's under $10 (I wanna say $7.95 or maybe $9.95).

Here's all of the info on it: https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/iCONCIERGE_05132014.pdf

Thanks for the comment about the review. Glad you liked it. :)

Looking good, so sorry that you are not going to Bonaire, so awsome to snorkel, but Aruba and Curacao are also nice to snorkel.

I like to snorkel also.

Linda :)

Kim, I hope you, all of your family, and all of your readers have a very

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Thanks so much. We had a wonderful Christmas with all of my kids and grandkids over. (Remind me not to volunteer to use my house and do all the cooking next year :p).

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas as well and happy New Year.

I just booked cabin 14051 for next year (well, next year plus a week). I've never booked a cabin that wasn't below another cabin. Did you have any noise issues from deck 15? What about the kids' club?

Absolutely NO problems with noise above, below or halls. It was a great location. Nothing from the kids club at all.

We just got off the Disney Wonder on Friday and my husband has exactly what you have. Coughing, sinus, headache, chest hurts, etc. Doctor gave him some really strong meds that will hopefully knock it out in no time. Something about him and cruises. This past spring we had to visit the ship doctor on the Getaway for the same thing. Hope you get better quickly!

Edited by ShannonSC2

Just a few things: I enjoyed reading your review. Your pictures are amazing. You really do capture the moment in your pictures.

We went on the EPIC a few years ago in Europe and I have to say we loved it.

I have heard from other people from other cruise lines that Port Canaveral is very unorganized. Even on other cruise lines such as RCCL and Carnival. I think with this being the first EPIC sailing out of there didn't help matters at all. We have never sailed out of there but I have heard the horror stories. It is frustrating that you missed your photo when you got on the ship. That stinks!

When we sailed on the Getaway O'Sheenan's was very slow for the breakfast meal. The eggs were cold and the food wasn't good at all. The service wasn't up to par like I felt it should be. So I am not sure if it is a NCL thing that maybe all the "newbies" start there to work their way up. When we ate there that time there were only like 4 other families so it wasn't like it was busy or anything.

I would have been the same way seeing the Escape come in to port. It looks like a beautiful ship!

Once again enjoyed your review. By the time the EPIC gets things organized and together it will be time for them to go back overseas. :) We are scheduled for Spring 2018 on the EPIC.

Thank you so much for all the info. We go on NCL two or three times a year, but haven't been on the Epic yet. --Taking friends with us in late January, and was just trying to get a little information when I found your wonderfulbpictures and reviews.

The Epic is definitely a "different" ship. Thanks for the comments and I hope you have a wonderful time on the Epic. :)

We just got off the Disney Wonder on Friday and my husband has exactly what you have. Coughing, sinus, headache, chest hurts, etc. Doctor gave him some really strong meds that will hopefully knock it out in no time. Something about him and cruises. This past spring we had to visit the ship doctor on the Getaway for the same thing. Hope you get better quickly!

I still have the cough and congestion...it's just not going away. :( It's been about 6 weeks now. At least I don't have the pain in my head and ears. Something is going around. I have 3 patients that was also diagnosed with Bronchitis, put on the same meds as I was...and weeks and weeks later...they still have the cough and congestion. I was reading an article online late one night that said everyone is getting diagnosed with bronchitis this winter, but in fact it's not actually bronchitis. (It was so late and I was so tired that I forgot what they called it). But, it stated that there wasn't any drugs that would make it any better and it just had to run it's course. :cool:

Just a few things: I enjoyed reading your review. Your pictures are amazing. You really do capture the moment in your pictures.

We went on the EPIC a few years ago in Europe and I have to say we loved it.

I have heard from other people from other cruise lines that Port Canaveral is very unorganized. Even on other cruise lines such as RCCL and Carnival. I think with this being the first EPIC sailing out of there didn't help matters at all. We have never sailed out of there but I have heard the horror stories. It is frustrating that you missed your photo when you got on the ship. That stinks!

When we sailed on the Getaway O'Sheenan's was very slow for the breakfast meal. The eggs were cold and the food wasn't good at all. The service wasn't up to par like I felt it should be. So I am not sure if it is a NCL thing that maybe all the "newbies" start there to work their way up. When we ate there that time there were only like 4 other families so it wasn't like it was busy or anything.

I would have been the same way seeing the Escape come in to port. It looks like a beautiful ship!

Once again enjoyed your review. By the time the EPIC gets things organized and together it will be time for them to go back overseas. :) We are scheduled for Spring 2018 on the EPIC.

I do know that people were reporting that things were much better the following week after our cruise and things to be running smoothly now. So hopefully it won't be a problem in the future, but you are right, before you know it, she'll be gone again. :eek:

Now I just have to find time to sail the Gem and Escape (and POA I guess). :D