MITSUGIRLYS EPIC CRUISE--2nd time around-1st from Port Canaveral

mitsugirly

So I have been battling a terrible cough since returning from the cruise, which resulted in laryngitis last weekend for 2 days. I got my voice back, but the cough and sinuses persisted. It has gotten so bad that when I cough, the entire left side of my face and skull hurts to bad.

Went to the doctor today and was diagnosed with severe bronchitis, sinusitis and she said both of my ears are completely full of fluid and she thinks I may have pneumonia. Of course the first thing I wanted to know was it related to scuba diving (since I have 2 others in the house that had issues with their ears after diving).

They gave me a shot, antibiotics, steroids, and told me to return Friday. If I'm not better, they will do an xray to confirm pneumonia. This will be the second time I have come home with some respiratory illness from a cruise. PEOPLE WASH YOUR HANDS AND COVER YOUR MOUTHS when cruising. I don't want your junk!

This is very odd for me because working in the hospital for over 30 years and around super sick people all the time, my immunity is VERY high and I hardly ever get sick. The last 2 years...I have now had bronchitis twice and norovirus once. Cruising is killing me I tell ya! :p

For scuba and snorkeling.... it is very important to clean and dry out the salt water from your ears every day. Some people use Swimmers Ear, that you can purchase at drug store but we find it a bit irritating after several days. It works but my ear canal feels sore.

WE always take with us a small bottle of "ear beer" (a group of divers gave us the recipe). This is a mix of 1/3 vinegar, 1/3 water, and 1/3 isopropyl alcohol with a few drops of glycerin in it. The glycerin helps tremendously to prevent the irritation. We put it in one of those small travel size plastic containers. That is about how much you use on a regular week travel if you are in the water daily. Every day, after we are done with ocean or pool, we do it in both ears. You smell like a salad but your ears feel great...and it can prevent problems later on.

Edited by ABQrobin

Thanks for the SW info Kim. I think that we'll go for the wheelchair on the way back (we're flying United down and I have priority boarding so she can get on faster). At least then I'm assured of getting her on the plane and seated comfortably before the hoards descend.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're now sick. Especially if it is pneumonia. Now that I'm over 50 (frankly, it's so far into the rear view mirror that we may have to say "mid 50s), I really need to talk with my dr. about the pneumonia and shingles shot. Mom has had the pneumonia shot, but there are several and I think I want her to have a second one to be extra careful. She had it several years ago and it lingered for months. Please take extra care of yourself.

HI all!

Kim ~ you've got me laughing again!!:D So sorry to hear you're under the weather. A lot of people came back sick from the Vista cruise but luckily I wasn't one of them this time!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

The beach I saw where we boarded the sub was Palm Beach but here's a link to the 10 best beaches in Aruba:

http://www.planetware.com/aruba/best-beaches-in-aruba-aru-1-2.htm

Hope this link works as the photo I copied yesterday of the blue lizard didn't!:confused:

Oh dear that's terrible that Sakari's being bullied! Guess the Isas are jealous of her talent.

Take care & get booking the Oct 14 cruise please!

~ Jo ~ :)

Kim, I hope you don't mind me asking, because I don't want to go back thru your entire review. Did you go to either Burn the Floor or Priscilla Queen of the Desert, and if so, how long was each show? I'll be able to make my reservations in a few weeks and want to time things as best I can. TIA.

Just off the EPIC and will be able to answer your question: Priscilla is about an hour and a half, and Burn the floor about an hour.

Hope that helps...

So I have been battling a terrible cough since returning from the cruise, which resulted in laryngitis last weekend for 2 days. I got my voice back, but the cough and sinuses persisted. It has gotten so bad that when I cough, the entire left side of my face and skull hurts to bad.

Went to the doctor today and was diagnosed with severe bronchitis, sinusitis and she said both of my ears are completely full of fluid and she thinks I may have pneumonia. Of course the first thing I wanted to know was it related to scuba diving (since I have 2 others in the house that had issues with their ears after diving).

They gave me a shot, antibiotics, steroids, and told me to return Friday. If I'm not better, they will do an xray to confirm pneumonia. This will be the second time I have come home with some respiratory illness from a cruise. PEOPLE WASH YOUR HANDS AND COVER YOUR MOUTHS when cruising. I don't want your junk!

This is very odd for me because working in the hospital for over 30 years and around super sick people all the time, my immunity is VERY high and I hardly ever get sick. The last 2 years...I have now had bronchitis twice and norovirus once. Cruising is killing me I tell ya! :p

You could have very well pick up something from the air in your tank......

"Would you drink a glass of water straight out of the ocean, or take a swim around your toilet bowl? Probably not, but your wetsuit soaks up all those germs and contamination with each dive. Putting dirty dive gear away without cleaning it properly will result in your wetsuit developing a funky odor and growing bacteria and mold. Wearing that dirty wetsuit on for a future dive will likely give you a full body rash. Depending on the type of bacteria, this could result in a serious skin infection.

Another concern with dirty dive gear is a regulator that hasn’t been stored and cleaned properly. Imagine taking a breath underwater only to inhale a large spider nest or chunk of mold that was stuck in the hoses. You can pick up dangerous respiratory and lung infections from a regulator & hoses that have not been properly maintained and stored.

dirty dive gear

Inside of an air cylinder

Contaminated air cylinders are another danger that can have deadly consequences. If filling techniques are lax, or if someone isn’t paying attention to what gas they are putting in the tank, it’s possible to get a cylinder of contaminated air. Taking in gas not suitable for breathing can result in unconsciousness or even death. Simply smelling and tasting the gas in your tank prior to a dive can alert you to this serious mistake.

Diving is a fun sport that is safe with the proper precautions. Making sure you properly clean and store equipment after using it is just as important as putting it on properly before a dive. Dirty dive gear is a health hazard that is entirely preventable."

"Would you drink a glass of water straight out of the ocean, or take a swim around your toilet bowl? Probably not, but your wetsuit soaks up all those germs and contamination with each dive. Putting dirty dive gear away without cleaning it properly will result in your wetsuit developing a funky odor and growing bacteria and mold. Wearing that dirty wetsuit on for a future dive will likely give you a full body rash. Depending on the type of bacteria, this could result in a serious skin infection.

Another concern with dirty dive gear is a regulator that hasn’t been stored and cleaned properly. Imagine taking a breath underwater only to inhale a large spider nest or chunk of mold that was stuck in the hoses. You can pick up dangerous respiratory and lung infections from a regulator & hoses that have not been properly maintained and stored.

dirty dive gear

Contaminated air cylinders are another danger that can have deadly consequences. If filling techniques are lax, or if someone isn’t paying attention to what gas they are putting in the tank, it’s possible to get a cylinder of contaminated air. Taking in gas not suitable for breathing can result in unconsciousness or even death. Simply smelling and tasting the gas in your tank prior to a dive can alert you to this serious mistake.

Diving is a fun sport that is safe with the proper precautions. Making sure you properly clean and store equipment after using it is just as important as putting it on properly before a dive. Dirty dive gear is a health hazard that is entirely preventable."

Kim was diving with a reputable dive op that has regular business and a good reputation. I am sure their regs and tanks are fine there. Yes, there can be issues if gear isn't taken care of or stored improperly, but that is usually in a 3rd World country that does not have regular business.

yeah, using a rental wetsuit is another whole thing... but they didn't do that, they wore only swimsuts. Rental wetsuits are something I won't use because you never know, people do pee in them and if they haven't been cleaned properly you can get a rash. Most reputable dive ops do wash them between uses.

Kim - I still think you may have just gotten an ear infection (could be dive related or could be just one of those things). I had severe bronchitis just a few months ago and got it because my husband's co-workers were all sick with colds and he brought it home to me. It happens. I would bet you were exposed to more germs on your flight home from the cruise than on the cruise ship!

Take care.

Kim was diving with a reputable dive op that has regular business and a good reputation. I am sure their regs and tanks are fine there. Yes, there can be issues if gear isn't taken care of or stored improperly, but that is usually in a 3rd World country that does not have regular business.

It can happen anywhere, I've seen it happen in the Keys. Not saying that was the problem but it is one thing to think about. Sending Peace and Love to Kim, hopefully you get better soon!!!!!:)

Edited by Laszlo

Kim, I hope you don't mind me asking, because I don't want to go back thru your entire review. Did you go to either Burn the Floor or Priscilla Queen of the Desert, and if so, how long was each show? I'll be able to make my reservations in a few weeks and want to time things as best I can. TIA.

Yes, we went to both. Burn the Floor was 1 hour and Priscilla was 1 hour 45 minutes. :)

Kim,

Great review! Have been enjoying it so much! Dh and I were also on the

Nov. 12 Epic cruise and we both also got sick with the horrible cough, low grade fever and cold.

Dh started having symptoms on Wednesday of the cruise and ended up at the doctor the Monday after the cruise. He had a sinus infection and eye infection.

I caught it from him and started having symptoms the Saturday after Thanksgiving and am still battling the cough, but thankfully never had to get antibiotics.

Take care of yourself and try and rest.

I started getting the cough the day we came home, so there must have been something going around on there (or a person(s) passing it around. I hope you feel better too! :)

For scuba and snorkeling.... it is very important to clean and dry out the salt water from your ears every day. Some people use Swimmers Ear, that you can purchase at drug store but we find it a bit irritating after several days. It works but my ear canal feels sore.

WE always take with us a small bottle of "ear beer" (a group of divers gave us the recipe). This is a mix of 1/3 vinegar, 1/3 water, and 1/3 isopropyl alcohol with a few drops of glycerin in it. The glycerin helps tremendously to prevent the irritation. We put it in one of those small travel size plastic containers. That is about how much you use on a regular week travel if you are in the water daily. Every day, after we are done with ocean or pool, we do it in both ears. You smell like a salad but your ears feel great...and it can prevent problems later on.

Yea, mine is not from either according to the doctor, because of the location, since I brought it up to her. The scuba place did have the "mixture" and the guys used it after scuba diving. Hubby can't use anything with alcohol because it burns too bad and it will drop him to his knees in so much pain.

I had to lol about the salad comment. :D

Thanks for the SW info Kim. I think that we'll go for the wheelchair on the way back (we're flying United down and I have priority boarding so she can get on faster). At least then I'm assured of getting her on the plane and seated comfortably before the hoards descend.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're now sick. Especially if it is pneumonia. Now that I'm over 50 (frankly, it's so far into the rear view mirror that we may have to say "mid 50s), I really need to talk with my dr. about the pneumonia and shingles shot. Mom has had the pneumonia shot, but there are several and I think I want her to have a second one to be extra careful. She had it several years ago and it lingered for months. Please take extra care of yourself.

Glad to hear you have considered doing the wheelchair. I think it would be much more comfortable for her and give her the time and help needed to board safely.

Yea, being sick sucks...especially when I'm hardly ever sick. But these last few years have done me in.

Kim ~ you've got me laughing again!! So sorry to hear you're under the weather. A lot of people came back sick from the Vista cruise but luckily I wasn't one of them this time!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

The beach I saw where we boarded the sub was Palm Beach but here's a link to the 10 best beaches in Aruba:

http://www.planetware.com/aruba/best...ba-aru-1-2.htm

Hope this link works as the photo I copied yesterday of the blue lizard didn't!

Oh dear that's terrible that Sakari's being bullied! Guess the Isas are jealous of her talent.

Take care & get booking the Oct 14 cruise please!

We are always extra careful when cruising (especially since the time we got noro going to Bermuda on the Dawn) and we clean and scrub and wash and sanitize constantly. But all the washing and sanitizing isn't going to help with someone coughing into the air and spreading their germs. I can move fast for a fluffy girl when I want to, but I'm no ninja dodging those flying germs. Yuck.

Speaking of germs...I just HAVE to tell this story from today...

I went to Tim Hortons (coffee shop) to do my usual bathroom break and grab a large diet Pepsi to go. It didn't taste right. I ask if she was sure she gave me diet. She said she honestly didn't know and would get me another. Came back and I thanked her and as I went to go grab it, she says "No wait, I want you to taste it and make sure that our fountain is working right and it taste right" AS SHE CONTINUES TO GET A STRAW, REMOVE THE PAPER FROM IT, HANDS ALL OVER IT, THEN STICKS IT IN MY POP AND HANDS IT TO ME!!!!!!! Um...seriously? No, you take that back and get me another one and do not touch anything with your hands that is going inside my cup or in my mouth! THE NERVE!!! Being as sick as I am right now and wearing a mask to prevent spreading my germs and she does this. UGH!

Yep, the link worked. Thanks for the info! I'll check it out.

Yea, Sakari came home yesterday with a "gift" (which is a special "egg" from Isabella, which is actually a plastic Easter egg) and it had a note inside that said "We are always going to be BFF's no one is stopping us!" Um ok, when did this happen? Sakari said "but she's being nice to me now for some reason". Geesh.

I'm still debating the Oct 14th cruise. I have to talk to the rest of the fam to see what their thoughts are, since that's usually the cruise they all take with me for sure.

dirty dive gear

So yes, it could be possible that the air tank was dirty or stored wrong I guess. That just sounds gross. Thanks for the vivid description of sucking in a spider nest or mold. I think I just puked in my mouth a little. We did not use wet suits and only had our bathing suits on.

I can tell you that Coki had tanks of cleaner sitting out there that they used for cleaning. I can't vouch for the storage process of course. I guess it would be hard to assure any dive shops process of cleaning and storage. You make me never want to dive again after those descriptions and the "death" comment. Yikes. Especially since any diving that we would do is solely dependent upon the dive shop to do their job.

yeah, using a rental wetsuit is another whole thing... but they didn't do that, they wore only swimsuts. Rental wetsuits are something I won't use because you never know, people do pee in them and if they haven't been cleaned properly you can get a rash. Most reputable dive ops do wash them between uses.

Kim - I still think you may have just gotten an ear infection (could be dive related or could be just one of those things). I had severe bronchitis just a few months ago and got it because my husband's co-workers were all sick with colds and he brought it home to me. It happens. I would bet you were exposed to more germs on your flight home from the cruise than on the cruise ship!

Take care.

Thanks for the comments and your thoughts about the company. I would hope that they would take precaution in between divers and use of their equipment. But, there's really no way to know 100%. They did have washing buckets to sanitize them.

According to my doctor, it's not swim/snorkel/scuba related because it's passed my ear drum/inner ear? She seem to think it wasn't related at least. I'm sure you pro scuba divers would probably understand it a little more and know whether or not this happens d/t scuba.

Yea, I probably was subjected to more stuff on the plane coming home than anywhere else. After all, it was full of nothing but munchkins that like to sneeze and cough a lot and don't cover their mouths. However, I did start coughing on the day we embarked and my sinuses were bothering me the day prior to that. I assumed with the sinuses that it was draining in my nose, which was causing me to cough. BUT, I have always had sinus problems with stuff nose all my life. I use nose spray on a daily basis since I was young. (I know bad, but it's the only way I can breathe and sometimes you do what you gotta do). So any time my head gets stuffy, I really don't pay attention and it takes forever until I catch on that "hey, it might just be a little more than my normal stuffiness". This time around it was much more than that. Ugh.

It can happen anywhere, I've seen it happen in the Keys. Not saying that was the problem but it is one thing to think about. Sending Peace and Love to Kim, hopefully you get better soon!!!!!

Thanks so much. Hopefully I'll be back to my normal self soon. I'm having an elective surgery done on Thursday and if I'm not better...this will have to be cancelled (since it happens to be on my left ear!!!! yikes)

I am totally writing this down for later. We spend our summers at my parent's house on Pensacola Beach. Between daily swimming in their pool and the Gulf, at least one of my kids will get an ear infection. Thanks for the recipe!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

i do think you should go ahead and get scuba certified though, even if you only do 3-4 dives per year. Once certified, you will be able to go to really great dive sites and see much more fish than you can imagine. It is waaaaay better than a shallow shore dive with water all stirred up and tiny fish.

How long did it take you to get certified? And when did you do your classwork tests? I am registered online learning but don't "get" how/when one is examined on the class work?

I have my Discovery Scuba (pool work) + 2 x Open water dives - I have three weeks in Cayman in January - time enough to get certified you think?

Kim thanks again for yet another Blockbuster review -

We all continue to love your adventures - and your photographs are fantastic!

We are booked to return on Epic November 17 - looking forward to seeing the changes since the re furb - Epic remains probably our all time favourite ship so far. We have 16 nights on Getaway in April - first time on an Away ship -

Thanks again for the amazing job you do on here. You inspired me to write my first ever review on a celebrity Alaska cruise - nothing in your league of course, but actually, its nice to have the memory catalogued - I can go back and read it now and then -

Havent done a review of our Jade transatlantic yet - might get around to it when I have time.

Sakari is growing - perhaps a Divemaster in the making?

I finally found your review a week ago and got caught up this morning. Another fabulous review. So I assume the Epic is not longer your favorite ship then?

We snorkeled in St. Thomas at the end of Oct (about 2 weeks before you) and it was so awesome. It was my first trip there. It was also the first time I got to use my Olympus tough in good conditions underwater. I used it Jamaica in Aug but it was rough water and not much to see. My St. T pics are similar to yours in colors and quality. I am so excited to finally get good snorkeling pictures.

I was excited to see you docked next to the Disney Fantasy. That's the ship we just sailed and it's so amazing.

Your scuba experience looked so amazing. I would have all the same fears as you.

As for Sakari's ears...does she have a lot of wax? I have issues with wax in my ears and sometimes have issues popping or clearing. Whenever I go in salt water they get REALLY clogged, to the point I can barely hear so I think salt water makes the waxy gooey or something. This last cruise I brought some ear drops with me. I think one was for wax and one for swimmers ear and I put them in a couple of times a day and it really did help. Maybe try that with Sakari. Not sure if it was a fluke for me or if it really did work.

Thanks again for another fabulous review. It makes me want to start my Fantasy review but I have too much going on yet to even think about writing it up yet.

How long did it take you to get certified? And when did you do your classwork tests? I am registered online learning but don't "get" how/when one is examined on the class work?

I have my Discovery Scuba (pool work) + 2 x Open water dives - I have three weeks in Cayman in January - time enough to get certified you think?

Scuba Certification:

Now that they have the classroom part online, I think all you do is take the tests online. I am not sure. When I did it you had to sit in classroom for 8 hours x 2 days, then take tests.

The pool work is very important, you will practice every skill over and over until you do it to the satisfaction of your instructor. Your 4 open water dives, done over 2 days you will do all those skills again, but in the ocean so it is important that you got them under control first in the pool. I recommend you do this at home, before your vacation. Then all you have to do is the referral dives.

So on your vacation, if you are only doing the referral dives, it only takes 2 days - doing 2 dives each day. Then you are certified and can go dive. It is sort of like a drivers license.... when you get your license it does not mean you have learned everything you need to know, it just means you are ready to go out and do it. It is at that point you really start to learn to dive, and how to handle safety and every underwater condition, while you are enjoying the fabulous underwater world.

robin

You make a good point about when diving in a pool it's a fast decent and that's probably why.

I have a problem diving in the ocean...I can't stay down but a few seconds and I float back to the top. I don't know how Sakari stays down so long swimming.

I have been contemplating doing Sakari's bedroom or playroom and her bathroom in a "sea" theme and mermaids. I think she would love that. But, I have been waiting for Kolin to move out (12 days and counting) before doing anything.

Sakari is having some issues in school with several kids teasing her about her "drawing" ability. They keep being mean and saying "stop showing off" and other things. It's starting to irritate me to know end because Sakari is starting to pull back in art class because of it. She says she turns sideways and covers her papers so they can't see and I've noticed a change in her work from school. Ugh

I didn't see the sea biscuit at the time, but I think I might see it now. Is it toward the top at the corner of the "thing"?

Oh yes, I remember someone mentioning the fuel and cost had something to do with cruising out of Baltimore. I probably won't do that again since it was so expensive and SO COLD during Spring Break. I'm not into cruising away in cold weather. LOL

I'm sure Sakari would just LOVE a room like that. So sorry to hear the kids in school are giving her a bad time about her drawing. I'm sure a lot of them are jealous that they can't draw like that. I hope it doesn't keep her from drawing. I do remember, mainly high school though, some girls who were pretty smart "dumbed it down" with lower grades than they were capable of so they'd be more popular with the boys.

The sea biscuit...yes, that was it. It was in a picture (maybe last one) in that previous post as well. I bought one at a beach shop in NC several years ago, accidentally broke it in half last year but super glued it back together. :p I did find a tiny one on the beach at Atlantis in Bahamas several years ago, the size of a quarter and have that. Would love to find a larger one of my own. :)

Oh, LOVE those pictures of the dolphins with the scuba divers you posted...hopefully one day you all will get to experience that.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

I hope you enjoyed the review. I will do a follow up on my thoughts...but I'm off to do a few things around the house now.

Kim:

Another great review and you and your family turned it around from your first port. I didn't want this to end with Kim writing "I'm never going on an extended family cruise again". :D:D:D

Did you post anything on going on the Epic a second time? Your cruising ship rule is one and done.

•  
  • Did going on the Epic a second time at all tarnish your very positive memories of the ship?
  • Are there any other ships that you now would like to re-cruise on?
  • Did the Epic seem more crowded this time around?
  • Is the Epic still your favorite ship of all times? I would believe that your favorite ship is the next one that you will cruise on.

Thank you for taking time out of your very busy schedule to do this. If you didn't post reviews, doubt that I would visit this forum much. Hope that a surprise birthday, anniversary, ground hog day, or daylight savings time cruise heads your way. You deserve an extra late winter or mid-winter cruise.

I've posted this often but I still cannot believe that cruise lines don't offer you and your family free cruises. Excursion operators and hotels don't offer you their products for free. Your endorsement and travel experiences carry a lot of weight with me.

Hope you feel better soon.

Bruce...

Hope you get well soon!

I know you think right now that you wouldn't go on a dive trip to Belize, but if you all get your scuba certifications, you might just change your mind - especially when you see all there is to see when diving in the open ocean. On the other hand, Belize is so famous for scuba diving that I cannot imagine that NCL (or any other cruise line) would not offer shore excursions to do that. That just wouldn't make sense even if it is from NCL's private island. Also, there are many, many PADI dive shops in Belize that serve cruise ships already. At least one is located near where the ship tenders dock. (Sea Sports Belize - just a 10 minute walk.)

Check these out:

http://ambergrisdivers.com

http://www.seasportsbelize.com (this is the company that

http://www.ecologicdivers.com

http://belizediving.yolasite.com/dive-descriptions.php

Kim thanks again for yet another Blockbuster review -

We all continue to love your adventures - and your photographs are fantastic!

We are booked to return on Epic November 17 - looking forward to seeing the changes since the re furb - Epic remains probably our all time favourite ship so far. We have 16 nights on Getaway in April - first time on an Away ship -

Thanks again for the amazing job you do on here. You inspired me to write my first ever review on a celebrity Alaska cruise - nothing in your league of course, but actually, its nice to have the memory catalogued - I can go back and read it now and then -

Havent done a review of our Jade transatlantic yet - might get around to it when I have time.

Sakari is growing - perhaps a Divemaster in the making?

Aww, thanks so much for the kind words. They are much appreciated. I'm glad I inspired you to write your first "Chapter" book but not quite a "novel" yet. Some day :D It gets addictive...just like cruising.

She just might be a Divemaster some day. You just never know with her.

I finally found your review a week ago and got caught up this morning. Another fabulous review. So I assume the Epic is not longer your favorite ship then?

We snorkeled in St. Thomas at the end of Oct (about 2 weeks before you) and it was so awesome. It was my first trip there. It was also the first time I got to use my Olympus tough in good conditions underwater. I used it Jamaica in Aug but it was rough water and not much to see. My St. T pics are similar to yours in colors and quality. I am so excited to finally get good snorkeling pictures.

I was excited to see you docked next to the Disney Fantasy. That's the ship we just sailed and it's so amazing.

Your scuba experience looked so amazing. I would have all the same fears as you.

As for Sakari's ears...does she have a lot of wax? I have issues with wax in my ears and sometimes have issues popping or clearing. Whenever I go in salt water they get REALLY clogged, to the point I can barely hear so I think salt water makes the waxy gooey or something. This last cruise I brought some ear drops with me. I think one was for wax and one for swimmers ear and I put them in a couple of times a day and it really did help. Maybe try that with Sakari. Not sure if it was a fluke for me or if it really did work.

Thanks again for another fabulous review. It makes me want to start my Fantasy review but I have too much going on yet to even think about writing it up yet.

Glad you were able to find the review.

Where did you end up going to snorkel at in St Thomas? Was it Coki? It's a fabulous place to go. Glad to hear you are enjoying your Olympus too. I just love my cameras. Now only if I could take the time to read my instruction manual to improve and learn about the new things.

Nope, no problems with wax that I know of. She's never had ANY problems with her ears in the past. Not even an ear infection or anything. She never complains of them feeling clogged or anything (or mumbling sounds) after swimming snorkeling or diving. No issues at all with her. That's why it's so weird for her to be having these problems. Even my grandson didn't have any issues. Hopefully she'll grow out of it someday soon. She has her next PADI Seal Specialty Aquamission this Friday. She gets to learn the Environmental Specialist course.

I'm sure Sakari would just LOVE a room like that. So sorry to hear the kids in school are giving her a bad time about her drawing. I'm sure a lot of them are jealous that they can't draw like that. I hope it doesn't keep her from drawing. I do remember, mainly high school though, some girls who were pretty smart "dumbed it down" with lower grades than they were capable of so they'd be more popular with the boys.

The sea biscuit...yes, that was it. It was in a picture (maybe last one) in that previous post as well. I bought one at a beach shop in NC several years ago, accidentally broke it in half last year but super glued it back together. I did find a tiny one on the beach at Atlantis in Bahamas several years ago, the size of a quarter and have that. Would love to find a larger one of my own.

Oh, LOVE those pictures of the dolphins with the scuba divers you posted...hopefully one day you all will get to experience that.

Grades 1st and 2nd...she was "conducting" drawing classes on her own to the students and doing step-by-step instructions on drawing animals. She hits 3rd grade and everything changes and she's hiding her work. It just irritates me to no end.

I have bought sea biscuits and sand dollars before and NONE of them have yet to make it home in one piece...more like a hundred pieces and there's no super gluing them either. LOL

Yea, I'm hoping some day we get a better experience with more "animals" than this last time, but either way, it was still a lot of fun.

Kim:

Another great review and you and your family turned it around from your first port. I didn't want this to end with Kim writing "I'm never going on an extended family cruise again".

Did you post anything on going on the Epic a second time? Your cruising ship rule is one and done.

• Did going on the Epic a second time at all tarnish your very positive memories of the ship?
  • Are there any other ships that you now would like to re-cruise on?
  • Did the Epic seem more crowded this time around?
  • Is the Epic still your favorite ship of all times? I would believe that your favorite ship is the next one that you will cruise on.

Thank you for taking time out of your very busy schedule to do this. If you didn't post reviews, doubt that I would visit this forum much. Hope that a surprise birthday, anniversary, ground hog day, or daylight savings time cruise heads your way. You deserve an extra late winter or mid-winter cruise.

I've posted this often but I still cannot believe that cruise lines don't offer you and your family free cruises. Excursion operators and hotels don't offer you their products for free. Your endorsement and travel experiences carry a lot of weight with me.

Bruce...

I'm pretty sure that my hubby has said that before (never going on another cruise with the family...or at least said "Brayden") and believe or not, I actually did say that when we were in the Baths and Courtney was storming off blaming me for every bad thing that had ever happened in her life. LOL

I'm not sure what you mean "Did you post anything about the Epic on the second time" ?? Yep, my rule is one and done, but our exception this time around was due to Sakari and was listed in the very first post in my introduction:

I to try NEVER cruise on the same ship twice. I would rather experience a different ship each time. HOWEVER, this will make our second cruise on the EPIC and ONLY because it was the only ship that Sakari (our youngest) has never been on...and she has not let us live it down. She has talked about the Epic for years and every time we are in port beside the Epic, I got that "look" from her and made me feel 5" tall for leaving her at home that cruise. So...we made an exception and cruised her for a second time. I feel like I'm off the hook now. ALSO, this would be the first cruise back in the US after the Epic has been gone for awhile AND this would be my hubbys birthday as well. So, it was a no-brainer...we would sail her again.

So maybe that answers your question? I'm not sure. I didn't post a final thought on it. I see several people asking, so maybe I should do that. I have been sick this week, diagnosed with bronchitis, sinusitis, fluid behind both ear drums and possible pneumonia. I have only had a chance to pop on and off and other than working a few hours a day, I have been sleeping. So, I'll post that final tonight after answering the questions/comments everyone has. I know it's a long time coming at this point. LOL

*Doing the Epic the second time around did not tarnish any of my good memories we had on her the first time around. It only helped bring back memories and proved to us why we started cruising again in the first place.

*I can't say there are any that I would "like" to cruise on. I want to cruise them all. LOL That would mean only doing them once and done. However, I REALLY plan on doing another cruise out of San Juan again this summer and do a repeat of this summers Fascinations cruise. That will PROBABLY mean that I will have to resail the Fascination. Although I would much rather prefer to get on a different ship (for the experience and not because we didn't like the Fascination because we did), it looks like the Fascination will still be the ship still sailing from there. So, we will probably sail her again. But that's ok. If I had one ship that I would sail on again and WANT to sail on again, that would be the BREEZE! That was one amazing ship and I just loved it.

* YES YES YES, the Epic seemed a lot more crowded than last time. A LOT more for some reason.

*I will answer this soon.

Aww Bruce, what a nice comment about coming to the forum for my reviews. That's so sweet. Thank you. Hey, I would take a "any holiday" cruise that I could come up with...no problem. :D I just don't think my work would like it too much. They already complain about 3-4 cruises this year. LOL But yet the owner of the company took a 3 WEEK vacation (in a row) to Africa. Go figure. BUT...I just found out some EXCELLENT news 2 nights ago...MY NEXT CRUISE ON CARNIVAL IS FREE! HA! I told the hubby "This means that since we don't have to pay for the next cruise, we can squeeze in another" LOL

Eh, the cruise lines, hotels, excursions and so on aren't going to offer me anything free because they are already getting their reviews and "publicity" for free because I'm going to come back and review them and show pictures of their places. Why pay for something you are getting for free right? I mean it makes sense.

Hope you get well soon!

I know you think right now that you wouldn't go on a dive trip to Belize, but if you all get your scuba certifications, you might just change your mind - especially when you see all there is to see when diving in the open ocean. On the other hand, Belize is so famous for scuba diving that I cannot imagine that NCL (or any other cruise line) would not offer shore excursions to do that. That just wouldn't make sense even if it is from NCL's private island. Also, there are many, many PADI dive shops in Belize that serve cruise ships already. At least one is located near where the ship tenders dock. (Sea Sports Belize - just a 10 minute walk.)

Check these out:

http://ambergrisdivers.com

http://www.seasportsbelize.com (this is the company that

http://www.ecologicdivers.com

http://belizediving.yolasite.com/dive-descriptions.php

Thanks for the get well wishes. I hope so too. I'm not feeling the awful pain in the back and side of my head now...it's only in my ear and down the side of the outside of my throat. Whew...

I know that we will not be getting our certifications before we get to head to Belize. I'm almost sure of it at this point. We have to figure out what is going on with the hubbys ears and if Kendra is interested in doing it with me. I honestly don't want to do it if I'm going to be the only one (until Sakari can get certified IF she learns to clear those ears).

The problem with NCL (or any ship) offering a shore excursion, they probably do, but they are sure to have an age limit (like they do with all of their excursions) and that will not include Sakari because they probably won't have a PADI bubblemaker class.

I did check out the dive shops you listed, I'm having a few issues finding information on them for the PADI bubblemaker class. We still have to make sure that Sakari can go as well. I think there was only one that I found that mentioned it. BUT...the prices were OUTRAGEOUS! Yikes! I'll have to do some more checking though. Thanks for the links. :)

SO I GUESS FINAL THOUGHTS:

Epic the second time around...it brought back a lot of nice memories for us and familiar places. Although there have been a lot of changes with the remodel, we liked some of the new and missed some of the old.

It was kind of neat to almost know our way around the ship already, but yet that took the mystery out of discovering what the ship had to offer.

The "wave" rooms did not bother me one bit. The shower and toilet, yea, it was a little "weird" at first, but with the curtain pulled, it was fine and didn't bother us. I actually felt when the curtain was pulled and that whole area became the "dressing room", there was more room than if you would have been in the bathroom. So, no problems for us. I did miss having a studio room with the super cool lighting though. ;)

This time around, the ship was PACKED, the venues were FULL, we missed a lot of things (such as comedy and so on) because of it. We were shut out of the art canvas drawing, which I really wanted to do. I wasn't able to fulfill one of my Platinum dinners because everything was completely booked upped throughout the entire cruise. That means I missed out on the meal AND the bottle of wine.

The one thing I was super disappointed in this time around is that everything seem to be closed or not working most of the time. They didn't have the "toilet bowl" slide open most of the time. The other slides were sporadic. We never found the spider climber or the trampoline bounce open. The rock climbing wall seemed closed a lot as well. (Of course, we were not checking 24/7 every day, so they could have well been open, but the times posted versus they times we went up there, they were not). Bowling was a hit or miss and we were glad when they did open that we were able to snag a lane with not much of a wait. The water fountains were barely on at the pools and I did notice that they seem to close the pools earlier on this cruise than any other cruise I have been on.

So yes, this cruise was definitely different than the last time we were on the Epic. I didn't connect with the people on the roll call or get to hang out with them. I was engulfed with my family and activities and trying to "show them around" because it was all so familiar to me.

But...I'm happy to say that she's still my favorite NCL ship of all the big ships. No, she doesn't have the new drop water slides or the ropes course (which are SUPER FUN), but there's just something about her that I love. I love the design and how you get around. I love the decor. I love the way the outside looks. This is the most controversial ship out there and maybe that's why I love her. She's so unique and I like unique. I like something that stands out from the rest. I like her "hat" that people hate and say it's ugly. I can spot her a mile away and know it's the Epic. I can be in any port and KNOW which ship is mine. Some people hate NCL's hull art. I absolutely LOVE it. It's unique and stands out from any other ships out there. You can tell by the hull art which ship it is instantly. I'm always excited to see what they will come up each time. Other ships look plain to me. Carnival is unique by their "whale tail"...you know a Carnival when you see it, but you don't always know "which" ship it is. RCL all look the same to me, with the exception of the mega ships Oasis and Allure (and the new one). If you can't tell those ships, then you are more blind than I am. :p Disney is unique to me in a way and I always love to see what they have special on them...Dumbo painting the ship, Donald hanging off the back, and Mickey from Fantasia with the brooms, you know a Disney ship when you see it. You know NCL when you see it.

So yes, I still love the Epic, but I would probably be lying to myself if I said that I didn't like the Carnival Breeze more. Just saying...:D

I am basing my opinion on the SHIP and not the experience. If I had to go by the experience, the Epic would have definitely fell off the face of the earth (or list) this time around. But ship-wise, I still love her.

I can say that cruising this time around, with the crowd, I came to realize that I probably have enjoyed the smaller cruise ships a little more. They seem so less crowded and even though they don't have as much to do, I still like them. I will continue to cruise both small and big because I like diversity in my cruises...just hopefully not any with only 3 days in port from now on...unless I REALLY want something that is offered as a port on that cruise.

So, there you have it. My final thoughts on the Epic. :)

Kim, I'm sorry to hear you've been so sick! We both came home from our Oasis cruise with colds and coughs that took us each almost 2 weeks to get over, but nothing like what you described. I hope you are well on your way to recovery.

Of course there is Discover Scuba in Belize! The Belize Barrier Reef is considered second only to Australia's Great Barrier Reef for great Scuba diving and snorkeling!

Take a look at this world famous dive resort and all it has to offer!

http://www.hamanasi.com

Prices from $462 per night double occupancy - include dining for $85pp per day so almost equivalent to a cruise cost wise.

But that's only one dive resort. There are many, many more in this area due to the fact that this is one of the best places to dive in the world:

http://offthewallbelize.com/activities.html

http://blackbirdresort.com

http://ramons.com

http://www.turnefferesort.com/diving/

http://www.tranquilitybayresort.com/activities.html

http://costablu.sandypointresorts.com

But this is only a tiny list of all that is there!

Here's a lot more information about how great the scuba (and snorkeling) is in Belize:

http://scubadivingbelize.com

Suite Traveler, thanks for the info on diving in Belize. While I have been diving for many years, I've never had a chance to dive there. I think Belize has now found it's way onto my list of destinations on my "must dive" list. :D I am bookmarking your links for future reference.

Thanks for the review, we are boarding the Epic Sat. Dec. 10th, first time on such a large ship, our favorite is the Sun. We have been to the Baths before so we are going to try Spring Bay this time which is right before the Baths.

I just saw Mermaid blankets, I am sure you have seen them but if you haven't, google them, so adorable, I can picture Sakari snuggled in one with that beautiful tail keeping her toes warm.

Hi all!

Kim ~ I was surprised to hear that there are Tim Hortons in the States! Not a good experience at all, that girl needs speaking to!

I really liked Breeze too, went on her twice & 4 times on Epic. Last time was Christmas in the Med & it too was very crowded. Luckily with me travelling solo I can pretty much get in anywhere.;) Was the Epic all Sakari hoped it would be?

Hope your surgery went well today if you were able to have it.

Looking forward to reading your next review & maybe seeing you on the October 14th Escape cruise..

~ Jo ~ :)

Kim, I'm sorry to hear you've been so sick! We both came home from our Oasis cruise with colds and coughs that took us each almost 2 weeks to get over, but nothing like what you described. I hope you are well on your way to recovery.

Thank you. Coming home with "goodies" is never a fun thing. I still have the cough (but not as bad) and the "pain" in the left side behind my ear is gone and it's just "inside" my ear and the left side of the outside of my throat. However, I went ahead with a surgical procedure to my left ear today (had a huge cyst that had been taking up residency and inviting all of its' family members over) and had that removed and now the pain is 10x worse. Go me! Twelve stitches later, the doctor swore it would never come back and I would have an actual ear from now on. :D

Thanks for the review, we are boarding the Epic Sat. Dec. 10th, first time on such a large ship, our favorite is the Sun. We have been to the Baths before so we are going to try Spring Bay this time which is right before the Baths.

I just saw Mermaid blankets, I am sure you have seen them but if you haven't, google them, so adorable, I can picture Sakari snuggled in one with that beautiful tail keeping her toes warm.

Oh my...your cruise is coming right up. I hope you have a WONDERFUL time on her. The Sun was one of my favorites too for such a small ship and it NEVER seemed crowded when we went.

Yep, Sakari has a mermaid blanket already. She cracks me up when she walks around the house in it. She reminds me of "Mr Limpet" if you know who that is.

Thanks for the get well wishes. I appreciate it.

Thank you Kim! Your time and energy are greatly appreciated. Feel better -sending you lots of

Positive energy!!

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.

Kim ~ I was surprised to hear that there are Tim Hortons in the States! Not a good experience at all, that girl needs speaking to!

I really liked Breeze too, went on her twice & 4 times on Epic. Last time was Christmas in the Med & it too was very crowded. Luckily with me travelling solo I can pretty much get in anywhere.;) Was the Epic all Sakari hoped it would be?

Hope your surgery went well today if you were able to have it.

Looking forward to reading your next review & maybe seeing you on the October 14th Escape cruise..

Oh yes. We have Tim Hortons all over the place. I believe it's been around 4 or 5 years. I love Tim Hortons. :D

Sakari really never did say much about the Epic. She was just happy she finally got to go on it and I made it a point to tell her that she has now been on every ship that me and daddy have been on now and she smiled from ear to ear. :D

Yep, I was able to have my surgery and although in quite a bit of pain now and I received 12 stitches, I'm happy that it's over with.

I'm still working on the possibility of changing to the 14th. We'll see. But if (when) I do...trust me, you'll all know about it.

Another wonderful review. Thank s for taking all the time to post for us.

Thank you and I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Edited by mitsugirly