On Anthem today 11/20/16

DaisyL

I hope you did not expect warm weather .

Oh no, certainly not, we've cruised out of the NY area many times and during the winter too. We live In NY too but it was so nice Friday and Saturday that we didn't need coats and was shocked to wake up to 4 inches of snow and temperatures that plummeted. We packed for all temperatures and fully prepared. It was a shock to the system!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a Thanksgiving cruise that we boarded today. Unfortunately, it's cold outside and we had snow at home this morning, 1-1/2 hour north of Cape Liberty.

Traffic was good driving in and it took about 1/2 hour to drive from the entrance to curbside... 2 hours total.

Right now sitting in the solarium, and the ship isn't moving... Hmmmm.

Anyway, this is our second Anthem cruise this year so it's fun to be on a great ship and know everything already.

So, if you have any questions, just ask. I'll be checking in throughout the cruise. Having a ball already!

Are you parking at the cruise terminal.If so do you drop off luggage first and then proceed to parking lot..Is parking outside or inside any info would be helpful

My recollection is that there was a section of WJ that initially was open 24 hours, but that was discontinued.

That would have been a first for me. I wonder if it's open late or closed after dinner?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you parking at the cruise terminal.If so do you drop off luggage first and then proceed to parking lot..Is parking outside or inside any info would be helpful

We sailed her last Christmas. We dropped luggage off first, then proceeded to parking garage. It is a garage structure, not an open outdoor lot.

How warm is the atrium with snow outside?

Quantum class ships like Anthem don't really have a multi deck central public area surrounded atrium or centrum like the Radiance class and smaller ships have.

It have a two decks, 4 and 5 (latter is open in the center part) Royal Esplanade that is all public area that goes most of the length of the ship from the Royal Theater in the front to Two70 and the Silk and American Icon restaurants at the stern.

Being completely inside the temperature was very comfortable there all of the time on the two cruises we did on Anthem last winter even with very cold and extremely hot temperatures outside. We did both 12 night itineraries which went as far south as Barbados on the southern and Honduras on the western from NYC.

Edited by robtulipe

Can you confirm that Windjammer has a 24-hour station called The Grill and that it is open now ?

That would have been a first for me. I wonder if it's open late or closed after dinner?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When Quantum came to Bayonne in 2014, the WJ did have a grill open until the wee hours. We stopped by the WJ one night around 1:30 am and was told the grill was closing shortly. Anthem never had the WJ open past 9 or 9:30 pm.

The top level of the garage is all outdoor.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

I'll be back soon... Off to the Meet and Mingle.

Thank you all for the good wishes and I'll try to answer any questions you have.

Can you check the compass and let me know the name of the house band in the Music Hall? Is it Katrina and Synergy? Thank you :)

Enjoy your cruise, we're back on Anthem again in a few weeks :D

I wish that they would change the decor a bit in American Icon. We will have My Time in January 2017. I remember a picture of NYC in the restaurant and I was happy that I was not eating there every evening last January. Food wasn't the issue. It was the constant reminder of what I trying to escape "greeting me" every time I walked into the restaurant.

Your table must have been near ours. I looked at that picture constantly during my 12 day.

Can you check the compass and let me know the name of the house band in the Music Hall? Is it Katrina and Synergy? Thank you :)

Enjoy your cruise, we're back on Anthem again in a few weeks :D

Linda, someone posted on FB that is was Katrina and Synergy. They compared them to a bad wedding band.:eek::eek: They weren't Rock the Boat or Horizon, but they weren't that bad, and she did get everyone up dancing.

Linda, someone posted on FB that is was Katrina and Synergy. They compared them to a bad wedding band.:eek::eek: They weren't Rock the Boat or Horizon, but they weren't that bad, and she did get everyone up dancing.

Totally agree with you, Katrina and her band are not bad at all, they're very entertaining, you and I will enjoy seeing them, again :)

Thank you

It wasn't your imagination... We sat off the NJ coast for quite a while after leaving on time. When we left the dining room at 10:30, we noticed the ship was moving fast.

Also, at some point in the afternoon they were not allowing anyone to go out on the decks.

It was never explained to us why we weren't moving for that time period.

There were humpback whales in the Hudson this weekend (two of them) - perhaps a whale was being guided out. (but I don't know why they wouldn't allow you on deck if that's the case).

I have not heard that and I'm interested in knowing the answer. I didn't think any Windjammer was open after dinner.

I had not heard of it and then across this on website advertising Windjammer. "Here, staff prepares signature specialties to your specs—like fresh-pressed paninis, juices blended before your eyes, and fluffy omelets. Plus a new 24-hour station, The Grill, with rotisserie chicken, Philly cheese steaks, all-day breakfast and more on a menu that changes daily."

I thought it was something new but maybe I am wrong and it was something discontinued. We really enjoyed Anthem but disappointed in limited food options in evening so I was hoping....

I had not heard of it and then across this on website advertising Windjammer. "Here, staff prepares signature specialties to your specs—like fresh-pressed paninis, juices blended before your eyes, and fluffy omelets. Plus a new 24-hour station, The Grill, with rotisserie chicken, Philly cheese steaks, all-day breakfast and more on a menu that changes daily."

I thought it was something new but maybe I am wrong and it was something discontinued. We really enjoyed Anthem but disappointed in limited food options in evening so I was hoping....

The WJ closes at 9 pm every evening. The only places open for snacks after that is the Café Promenade, Sorrentos, and room service.

I could see the ship from my balcony at the Jersey Shore at around 5:30. When I was watching it I thought it was my imagination that it wasn't moving.

It was in view for quite awhile.

Hi Gaylemh -

How far is the "Jersey Shore" from the Bayonne port? We plan to stay in a hotel near the port. Just wondering about going down to the Jersey Shore before our Anthem cruise next fall even though the weather won't be awesome.

Sorry, I was without my iPad yesterday, I forgot to charge it.

I think others answered all the questions so far, thanks.

We're on rotation for dinner and dined at Grande, Silk, American Icon Grill so far. Our group of 11 thought the meals are good so far and no lack of choices. Our server Shereen is excellent, efficient, charming and funny! One of the best we've had.

As bad as the weather started out, it was absolutely beautiful yesterday, with temps in the 70s and sunny. Most passengers got off the ship while in Port Canaveral, but we decided to relax on board. We enjoyed the serenity of the ship!

Talking about the crowds, we have 5000 passengers on the Anthem, including 1200 kids. But I must say they handle the crowds very well and although we can feel it's more crowded than our cruise in May, also on the Anthem, we're not having any problems with crowds.... Unlike the Breakaway cruise we took 2 years ago the week after Thanksgiving. I will never cruise on that ship again.... Very unorganized.

A few tidbits, our beds already had extra padding on it, so we don't have the rock hard mattress we suffered through in May. The Solarium is not hot as it was in May, but maybe because it's cooler outside. The Windjammer is only open during extended mealtimes.

Ok, gotta go... Windjammer is very crowded.

Hi Gaylemh -

How far is the "Jersey Shore" from the Bayonne port? We plan to stay in a hotel near the port. Just wondering about going down to the Jersey Shore before our Anthem cruise next fall even though the weather won't be awesome.

It will take approx. an hour from Bayonne to the start of the Jersey Shore.

http://www.newjerseyshore.com/